Like Tree108Likes

Thread: questions on battery powered weed eaters

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 Times in 1,136 Posts

questions on battery powered weed eaters

wife wants a battery powered weed eater-but both of us really has no idea of what kind to purchase

she has witnessed my pole saw i bought at HF-that coaltrain turned me onto. she likes it, and so do i do for the money.

we spent the most part of the evening looking at them, jeepers-i never knew they had so many to pick from.
    Milwaukee has one now-she said don't u have a grease gun with a battery-i said yeah-but i forgot what size the battery volts was she got tired and went to bed, me-ahh-watched some netfix-and then got on here looking.

so if anyone has a battery powered one-speak up-ok lend me hand to spend her(wife's)

me-i want her to get that easy 2 start stihl model they have out. then our other stihl stuff would hopefully fit the new one.
    i'm leaving it up to her-but just thought i'dl throw out the old fishing line-thanks
    Robnik likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    I would stick with a battery powered weed eater for whichever battery brand you have. The 18v Ryobi is great but hard to compare to my 2-cycle Stihl in terms of power/runtime. I have also heard the new Stihl battery powered outdoor tools are decent.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
    keane and Robnik like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    I would stick with a battery powered weed eater for whichever battery brand you have. The 18v Ryobi is great but hard to compare to my 2-cycle Stihl in terms of power/runtime. I have also heard the new Stihl battery powered outdoor tools are decent.

i forgot to add that i have a boatload of the old 18volt ryobi, and only one of the new lithium batteries.
    wife thought we should go the 40 volt route if we go battery.
    yeah - i spent some time looking at them battery stihl's-but no stihll stores are open on Sunday around here.
    Robnik likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    i forgot to add that i have a boatload of the old 18volt ryobi, and only one of the new lithium batteries.
    wife thought we should go the 40 volt route if we go battery.
    yeah - i spent some time looking at them battery stihl's-but no stihll stores are open on Sunday around here.
    Home Depot has a 40v trimmer for $129 or $149 with the 40v battery and charger. If you can't tell I'm partial to Ryobi.

BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    I picked up the Milwaukee back in May when you got the blower for free. I see that promo is over now. My wife likes both of them and the 9amp hour battery runs the weed whip longer than it takes for our yard. My grandson who is five uses the blower to help out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Tomfive, Bubber, psrumors and 2 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 40 V ryobi that does well. holds a charge for a long time, especially if i pay attention and don't run it full speed all the time which isn't necessary if the weeds aren't too tall and thick. The charge lasts for all i normally weed eat along 200' road front, rock flower bed edging, around the putting green, garage and pole barn. I used it yesterday to trim around the tombstones in the cemetery, the fence line & the walkway at the old chapel after cutting the grass. The battery died as I finished the walkway. There was some more trimming around the parking lot I would have done if the battery had more life. It has the standard 2.4ah battery, I see they have a 5ah battery that costs as much as the trimmer or leaf blower itself! I'd rather buy the leaf blower for that money and alternate 2.4ah batt's!
    BigJim55, Drifterbike and Robnik like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks
    I picked up the 40v DeWalt trimmer, blower and chainsaw. Got tired of messing with mixing 2-cycle fuel and then dealing with none of them wanting to start every spring. Couldn't be happier. The trimmer works better than the TroyBuilt gas trimmer that it replaced.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,301 Posts
    I have the Black and Decker LST136W 40V battery powered trimmer and it is the best trimmer I have ever owned. My trimming is mostly medium to light trimming around the house and driveway. The battery lasts long enough for me to trim my entire yard and still have 1-bar left. I would guess my trimming takes a good 45 minutes. The string lasts FOREVER... and by that I mean I literally get an entire season of trimming out of one spool. The pre-wound spools are very inexpensive and available in 3-packs on Amazon for $14.95. The trimmer also has variable speed but I almost always run it on the slowest speed.

I've had the trimmer for over 3 years now and it still works flawless. I've since added a B&D 24" hedge trimmer and chainsaw which use the same battery.

I know B&D can be hit 'n miss sometimes but for $149 this one has been a winner for me. I've since given away all my old gas trimmers.
    Last edited by jgayman; 08-06-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    BigJim55, Neb, wentonbrown and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,191 Times in 2,341 Posts
    I am a beliver in staying with the same platform you may already have.

With that said - as Big Jim already said - I am more than happy with my Harbor Freight pole saw. I have been using it just about every day for the last 2 months.

https://www.harborfreight.com/40v-li...saw-63286.html

I also need a cordless weed trimmer. Not only is my old Deere hard for me to start - the vibration while running it gets to my hands so badly that I can't even pick anything up for the rest of the day.

So I looked at the Harbor Freight model that uses the same battery as my pole saw (on sale this weekend).

https://www.harborfreight.com/40v-li...mer-63289.html

Some of the features would be great for me like the adjustable length of the handle and adjustable head angle. But I am afraid I won't like it being only a single string unit. I just feel that this will be kind of junky compared to my pole saw for some reason.

JimR had me convinced last year with his review on his new DeWalt unit. Big thing for me is the dual string head. And just looking at the price it is only $50 more than the Harbor Freight one. I have no DeWalt tools so that part doesn't matter. But the DeWalt trimmer looks to be the best of the bunch for the price.

DEWALT 13 in. 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless Dual Line String Grass Trimmer with 5.0Ah Battery and Charger Included-DCST920P1 - The Home Depot

Oops - I linked the 20V unit - not the 40V unit that JimR talked about.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks

questions on battery powered weed eaters

Although I do not have one I know someone that does and the Milwaukee one is working great. I do have the Milwaukee hedge trimmer and it works perfect. I can trim over a dozen bushes and 3 long hedge rows and never have to change the battery. If my stihl weed eater ever dies (may be a while) I will get the Milwaukee and use the same batteries as my hedge trimmer, drills and impacts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Drifterbike and Robnik like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast