Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Aircompressor moisture in tank?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-20-2019 @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks

Aircompressor moisture in tank?

I have a C.H. 5 hp, 26 gallon air compressor that is my only compressor. Question on how moisture is generated to get into the tank? I do have a drain petcock on the bottom of tank. Small tag says to drain it weekly. Ok. I went to spray a wooden chair for my wife earlier this week. Even though, I had drained the tank, there seemed to be some moisture coming thru the sprayer, resulting in a less than desirable finish.
    I do have a small filter on the outlet, that has a small schrader valve to empty. It is not a drier type. Do I need to add a drier type of filter to my system to prevent moisture from entering the air hose? How does moisture build so quickly in the tank?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks
    Your question can require several college level courses to fully understand.
    Simply put,,
    there is moisture in the air,
    The compressor compresses it.

A LOT of the moisture will condense out,, kinda like your car windows on a cold foggy morning.

The solutions?
    Add a drier (the discussion of which one can fill complete forums)
    or,,,
    move to Arizona,, (no moisture in the air to start with)
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, keane and 4 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Your question can require several college level courses to fully understand.
    Simply put,,
    there is moisture in the air,
    The compressor compresses it.

A LOT of the moisture will condense out,, kinda like your car windows on a cold foggy morning.

The solutions?
    Add a drier (the discussion of which one can fill complete forums)
    or,,,
    move to Arizona,, (no moisture in the air to start with)
    The higher the humidity level is outside the more that ends up in the tank.
    Add some form of water separator at the outlet line from your compressor. You want it before the hose. This will usually handle the majority of the water. For spraying paints they make another small disposable filter that goes between your hose and the gun.
    You are correct that water is ruining your paint job.

Draining the tank every night or time you use the compressor will help. Just open the valve and leave it that way until you are ready to use it again. I usually put a rag under the valve to catch the rusty water.
    BigJim55 and em14 like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Thanks
    I recently bought copper pipe to plumb my barn for air. I read a lot and there is a bunch of information out there, but one thing that I consistently read is that any dryer that you install should be as far away from the compressor and as close to the tool that you will be using as possible. There should be at least 25' of pipe length between the compressor and dryer to give the air time to cool and the water time to start to condense to where the dryer can pull it out.

Well, that's how I'm setting mine up, time will tell.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-28-2019 @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks

Water In Air Tanks

H-D dealer dude - If I left that air tank drain open down here in Florida the "Dirt Dabbers" would have it stopped up in no time!http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...lies/laugh.gif
    Leo

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-28-2019 @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks

Water In Air Tanks

H-D dealer dude - If I left that air tank drain open down here in Florida the "Dirt Dabbers" would have it stopped up in no time! Those little guys are constantly stopping up the ignition switch key opening on the lawn mower!
    Leo
    spferdil and Luiz like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    12-06-2019 @ 08:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I recently bought copper pipe to plumb my barn for air. I read a lot and there is a bunch of information out there, but one thing that I consistently read is that any dryer that you install should be as far away from the compressor and as close to the tool that you will be using as possible. There should be at least 25' of pipe length between the compressor and dryer to give the air time to cool and the water time to start to condense to where the dryer can pull it out.

Well, that's how I'm setting mine up, time will tell.
    Yup, agree 100%, even made a little portable metal stand for the dryer to keep it upright and set it as close as possible
    to whatever I'm using air for.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by em14 View Post
    H-D dealer dude - If I left that air tank drain open down here in Florida the "Dirt Dabbers" would have it stopped up in no time!http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...lies/laugh.gif
    Leo
    I have never understood why there is not a reservoir plumbed to that outlet,,
    Just a cup of capacity,, and the tank could go for quite a while before it would need emptied,,,

Buy a couple of adapters,, a length of steel pipe,a "T",, and you could whip one up,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wildfox View Post
    I have a C.H. 5 hp, 26 gallon air compressor that is my only compressor. Question on how moisture is generated to get into the tank? I do have a drain petcock on the bottom of tank. Small tag says to drain it weekly. Ok. I went to spray a wooden chair for my wife earlier this week. Even though, I had drained the tank, there seemed to be some moisture coming thru the sprayer, resulting in a less than desirable finish.
    I do have a small filter on the outlet, that has a small schrader valve to empty. It is not a drier type. Do I need to add a drier type of filter to my system to prevent moisture from entering the air hose? How does moisture build so quickly in the tank?
    Thanks for any help.
    As we all know, all air has moisture in it. When you compress air, you are compressing about 8 cu ft of air into one cu ft to make 120 psi. So, you now have 8 times more moisture in one cu ft. Also, heated air can hold more moisture than cool air. So, compressed heated air that exceeds 100% relative humidity inside the tank causes rain inside the tank. Then as the heated air exits the tank and cools while going through the line then causes more moisture.
    So, drain the tank allot (automatic drain is best) and then place a moisture filter away from the tank outlet to catch an moisture in the line.
    dieselshadow, keane and CADplans like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Something I've wondered about is moisture inside the tank and a tank rusting through from the inside out. Does that ever happen, and how long does it take if I never drain my tank?

And, should you stop filling an older tank to its maximum rated pressure? As it rusts it must get weaker and able to handle less pressure. My tank has a pressure relief valve, but what if the tank weakens to below the rating for the valve?

Maybe I shouldn't, but I worry about these things every time I fill my thirty year old portable tank while I'm kneeling next to it with my face a couple of feet away.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast