Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: DeWalt 40v trimmer vs gas trimmer

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-29-2019 @ 12:15 PM
    Thanks

Question DeWalt 40v trimmer vs gas trimmer

Here is my situation. Two years ago I got tired of dealing with my troybilt 4 stroke gas trimmer. Plus I'm left handed and it always threw everything at my legs. I gave the trimmer to a co-worker. So I bought the dewalt 20v trimmer since I have DeWalt 20v tools. The 20v trimmer works great for grass trimming around the house. Plus it don't throw grass at my legs. Now since I moved out in the country less than a year ago I need a more powerful trimmer for tall weeds in the ditch.
    I like the idea of going with battery tools so I don't have to deal with all the extra maintenance with gas powered equipment. Since I moved out in the country I bought the dewalt 40v chainsaw and 40v blower. I can get the dewalt 40v trimmer without a battery for $199. But I'm worried about it still won't be powerful enough power as a gas trimmer to handle tall weeds. I did a lot of research on gas trimmers. So if I decided to go that route it will be the Echo srm-225 two stroke.
    Last edited by ultra7350; 08-13-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra7350 View Post
    Here is my situation. Two years ago I got tired of dealing with my troybilt 4 stroke gas trimmer. Plus I'm left handed and it always threw everything at my legs. I gave the trimmer to a co-worker. So I bought the dewalt 20v trimmer since I have DeWalt 20v tools. The 20v trimmer works great for grass trimming around the house. Plus it don't throw grass at my legs. Now since I moved out in the country less than a year ago I need a more powerful trimmer for tall weeds in the ditch.
    I like the idea of going with battery tools so I don't have to deal with all the extra maintenance with gas powered equipment. Since I moved out in the country I bought the dewalt 40v chainsaw and 40v blower. I can get the dewalt 40v trimmer without a battery for $199. But I'm worried about it still won't be powerful enough power as a gas trimmer to handle tall weeds. I did a lot of research on gas trimmers. So if I decided to go that route it will be the Echo srm-225 two stroke.

For doing the heavy stuff you might want to consider a metal blade.
    Any type of weeds that have bark will just laugh at the string.
    I went with the Stihl Combi system so I only have one engine to deal with.
    Don't know if any battery systems can handle a blade.
    Robnik likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Agreed. Look into any type of blade add on.
    I have ryobi 20v. And I can do almost exactly what my gas one can. I have the ryobi with changeable shafts . I have string, big metals blade, and a 3 plastic blades head. All work great. So I'm sure the 40v DEWALT will be way stronger than my 20v ryobi.

Blades don't cut near as much area as the string will so depending on what you cuttting I'd invest in more shafts like I have done. I switch to the metal blades in my ditch when it's 3' tall and then strings when it's just grass. The plastic blades cut great for in between stuff.
    Batteries are my only issues for all day cutting.
    Robnik likes this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    I tried the dewalt 40 v for a couple of months and took it back. In my opinion the dewalt 60v/20v is balanced much better and does just as good a job. I can run it steady for over 2 hours on 2- 6ah batteries and it will cut through anything the 40 will.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreenmachine View Post
    Agreed. Look into any type of blade add on.
    I have ryobi 20v. And I can do almost exactly what my gas one can. I have the ryobi with changeable shafts . I have string, big metals blade, and a 3 plastic blades head. All work great. So I'm sure the 40v DEWALT will be way stronger than my 20v ryobi.

Blades don't cut near as much area as the string will so depending on what you cuttting I'd invest in more shafts like I have done. I switch to the metal blades in my ditch when it's 3' tall and then strings when it's just grass. The plastic blades cut great for in between stuff.
    Batteries are my only issues for all day cutting.
    Didn't know you could get different attachments for a battery power head.

I ended up getting 2 trimmer head attachments for my 2 stroke power head. This way it's quick to switch between string or a metal blade. Basically one has a large deflector vs high visibility one. I put my string head on the large deflector because of the splatter. The blade is now on the high visibility shaft. It will cut lower too the ground. Plus the blade doesn't sling like the string. Whatever I'm cutting just falls over. Don't know why metal blades get such a bad rap?

I normally run either a 4 or 8 tooth Stihl metal grass blade. If anything sometimes they are not aggressive enough. Next one I want to get it the 3 blade brush knife.
    Robnik likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Thanks
    Didn't know you could get different attachments for a battery power head.
    I meant different shafts. It was cheaper for me to grab another weed eater by ryobi when on sale to get extra $100 batteries.
    So I have different heads on different shafts. I just grab the shaft I need for the job I need.
    Or just buy extra shafts. You can say I'm to lazy to be changing heads all the time lol

I also have the gas ryobi and they all are interchangeable. I just bought the pole saw kit the other day when I seen it on sale. Haven't opened it up yet.
    Robnik likes this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra7350 View Post
    we just bought the Milwaukee fuel 18 volt model weed eater. for what we have now -it does eh--ok. wife likes it a LOT. it isn't any lighter than our old stihl we had. but no cranking, no gas , etc.

why not check out Sthil's easy 2 start--it's only $299--u can go to the web site of stihl and look around-ours was the model RC-56--but the new ones have more letters or something like that.

that Stihl was a $100 cheaper-but it was the wife's decision this time
    Gizmo2 and Robnik like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Could anyone comment on vibration differences.

I use gas, both a 2 cycle and a 4 cycle to trim roughly a mile of fence line, and if an electric will do the job with less vibration it would be worth it to me.

I see the Dewalt goes for around $300. Click image for larger version.†

Name:	trimmer.jpg†
Views:	54†
Size:	10.8 KB†
ID:	430226
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-29-2019 @ 12:15 PM
    Thanks
    I tried my DeWalt 20v trimmer on the tall weeds that were 1/4" thick. It took a long time to cut them down and some it couldn't cut down. Having a DeWalt 40v chainsaw is nice not dealing with the problems that come with gas. But it is not as powerful as a gas chainsaw. It is good on branches and small trees. Won't be able to cut down a big tree with it. I figured I would have the same problem with the DeWalt 40v trimmer with the big weeds.
    Since I have a 20v battery power trimmer for grass around the house I decided I needed a more powerful trimmer that can have a metal brush blade. I ended up getting the Echo PAS-225. This model you can change out attachments. Comes with the speed feed string head (I believe is the best on the market). I ordered a metal blade brush cutter attachment. You can get 11 different attachments. A pole saw attachment is something I'm going to need to get later. The benefits I realized that it has more power than any battery trimmer on the market, only takes a minute to change attachments and plus since it is a multi tool only one engine to take care of. I'm going to use the echo 93 octane premix gas for 2-stokes that comes in a can. Even though it cost more but it supposed to be better for the engine.
    Last edited by ultra7350; 08-14-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Gizmo2 and Robnik like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,172 Times in 2,324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    Could anyone comment on vibration differences.

I use gas, both a 2 cycle and a 4 cycle to trim roughly a mile of fence line, and if an electric will do the job with less vibration it would be worth it to me.

I see the Dewalt goes for around $300. Click image for larger version.†

Name:	trimmer.jpg†
Views:	54†
Size:	10.8 KB†
ID:	430226
    Vibration from the gas engines is what gets me also. If I run my chainsaw for 5 minutes my hands are useless the rest of the day. But I can run my cordless pole saw with no repercussions.

I have also been hesitant to buy a cordless trimmer as a couple times a year I get into some heavy weeds that need cutting.
    Robnik likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast