Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: New Stihl Kombi system

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 12:48 PM
    Thanks

New Stihl Kombi system

Thought I would just share in my purchase this weekend. Sorry, no pics at the moment. But, I finally bit the bullet and decided to buy the Stihl Kombi system. I went with the 111 Power Head and bought a few attachments that I could use right away: 1) string trimmer 2) Chainsaw trimmer 3) 145* Articulating Hedge Trimmer 4) 3 foot extension.

I currently have an Echo straight shaft trimmer - the SR230 (I believe its an SR - certain about the 230). My trimmer is about 15 years old and has been very, very good. Our new home has a ton of edging, trimming, brush cutting, so swapping back and forth from string trimmer to blade was getting really old. With the Kombi system, I plan to keep the old Echo for blade duty, hence buying the new string trimmer attachment.

We have a ton of wooded edges with ground cover around the property and the Articulating Hedge Trimmer is incredible for zipping along and cutting those huge weeds that can grow like a foot overnight...I have many, many trees, so the pruner is nice - I kept having to borrow my dad's pruner sticks, so this is much quicker.

First impressions of the 111 Power Head is torque - WOW!!! Granted, its 33cc versus my Echo's 23cc, nonetheless a HUGE improvement. Just string trimming, it makes easy work with much less scalping. I used to run the Echo at probably 3/4 throttle just to keep it from bogging on light grass trimming. The Stihl muscles through at what seems like a slower speed, which leads to less scalping.

If anyone has been on the fence about one, I would recommend it. I cross-shopped it with the Echo and dollar for dollar, they were very equal. I went with the Stihl since 1) powerhead is more powerful on the spec sheet and 2) I don't own any Stihl products. :D My chainsaw is a proper Husqvarna.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Tomfive and 5 others like this.
    John

2015 JD 2025R Classic - 54D, 220R FEL, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box, Frontier AF10F Plow, Frontier AP11F 42" Pallet Forks
    Tag Alongs: JD #15 Cart, 48" Poly Lawn Roller, JD Dethatcher
    Chainsaws: Echo CS-330T, Husqvarna 562XP-AT, Dolmar 7300
    Snowblower: Simplicity P1728E

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnM45 For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (09-11-2017), mjncad (09-11-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    I LOVE my Kombi! I also have an old Ryobi that I use for the little tiller.

For the Kombi I currently have the trimmer with both string and the grass blade. I also bought the blower (WOW!!) and the pole saw. Thinking about getting the hedge trimmer and maybe also the tiller to replace the old Ryobi.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I thought about picking up the blower as well. I have an old Echo Shred/Vac blower, which still runs very well (after a good 15 years), but it vibrates like mad. I have probably 450 feet of driveway plus a parking area that's like 30x30... plus patio, walkway, porch. So, lots of blowing.

I may opt for a new shred/vac, however. Simply because I like the leaf collection and mulching in the fall. Shred/Vac does great pulling stuff from around the house - window wells, in the flower/mulch areas, etc.

I could see the mini roto tiller and Bed Redefiner being high on the list.

Uberhandi tool.
    John

2015 JD 2025R Classic - 54D, 220R FEL, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box, Frontier AF10F Plow, Frontier AP11F 42" Pallet Forks

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    I bought a 111 earlier this year, nice piece of equipment compared to the Husqvarna it was replacing. The Stihl fires up with only a half pull when warmed up, easy pull effort too. Awesome torque!

I have a collection of trimmer/tiller/brush attachments for the Husqy and the long dead Troy-Bilt and was surprised that they are usable with the Stihl. The old attachments have an index button at 90 degrees from top, whereas the Stihl has a index guide at the top. Since the Stihl only uses pressure from the junction wingnut to retain the attachment, inserting the older attachments just mean they do not automatically align, but they slide right in. This allows me to load up the cart with multiple heads all stringed up. When the string runs out, I just swap the shaft. Only issue with using the non-Stihl attachments is they are about 2 inches shorter. so I end up stooping more when I have one of those on.
    Tomfive likes this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rw580 View Post
    I bought a 111 earlier this year, nice piece of equipment compared to the Husqvarna it was replacing. The Stihl fires up with only a half pull when warmed up, easy pull effort too. Awesome torque!

I have a collection of trimmer/tiller/brush attachments for the Husqy and the long dead Troy-Bilt and was surprised that they are usable with the Stihl. The old attachments have an index button at 90 degrees from top, whereas the Stihl has a index guide at the top. Since the Stihl only uses pressure from the junction wingnut to retain the attachment, inserting the older attachments just mean they do not automatically align, but they slide right in. This allows me to load up the cart with multiple heads all stringed up. When the string runs out, I just swap the shaft. Only issue with using the non-Stihl attachments is they are about 2 inches shorter. so I end up stooping more when I have one of those on.
    How's your 111 Powerhead holding up on the bottom where it sits on the ground? That's the only real complain versus my old Echo. The Echo had a real nice piece of plastic on the bottom that it sits on and takes all the abuse if you set it on asphalt. The Stihl, well, not so much there to really sit it on. I can just see it getting pretty scuffed up over the years. Guess I'll just have to only lay it down on the grass.
    John

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:56 AM
    Thanks
    Awesome man. That 145 hedge head is basically impossible to find and is backordered everywhere. I grabbed a KM131 this string myself Love the thing. I borrowed a buddies before buying one myself. I tested the KM90, KM110 and the KM130. Used his edger to put a channel in my lawn 3" deep to install and electric fence. Worked great, dogs can vouch ;)
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    Awesome man. That 145 hedge head is basically impossible to find and is backordered everywhere. I grabbed a KM131 this string myself Love the thing. I borrowed a buddies before buying one myself. I tested the KM90, KM110 and the KM130. Used his edger to put a channel in my lawn 3" deep to install and electric fence. Worked great, dogs can vouch ;)
    Yeah, the guy I was working with at the shop said something about they were having difficulty getting them. He didn't have one on the display, but said, ya know - let me check in back, we just got a shipment yesterday. Sure enough....the new one!!! The new one is lighter by quarter pound or so - may not sound like much, but when its 6 feet away from you on a pole, that's like 50 pounds lighter....ok, I exaggerate. But nonetheless....

As a sidenote, it sure does pay to do your research and be informed. I mentioned about getting the new 145 degree model. He said that a few days prior he just sold the last one he had (well, thought he had). He would have sold me an old model, the 135 degree. I said that I wanted to walk out of there with a full kit since I wanted to use it that morning and get some work done. Little bit of leg work and he found everything in the stock room. If I wouldn't have known different, I would have ended up with the old model. Nothing wrong with the old one, but, why not have the newest?

Same for the KM111. He offered me the KM110 for about 30 bucks less....Nah...this type of equipment doesn't change much. If there is a new model, I want it. I'm hoping I did the right thing going with the KM111 and not the 131. Usually, I go big or go home. So far, the torque on the 111 is fantastic! I might wish for more if I get the bed redefiner someday, but that isn't something I'd use except once a year or so.
    Last edited by JohnM45; 09-11-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    John

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    I have a KM110 that's a few years old. Still runs like a champ. Other then spark plug, air and fuel filters the only other thing it needs is a valve adjustment. Really like the fact that it runs on regular 2 stroke fuel. No crankcase oil carry around & worry about. I'd totally recommend using the Stihl Ultra synthetic oil. Stihl was doubling the tools warranty if you buy Ultra oil at the same time. I only ever used synthetic since new. When I had the valve cover off the inside was clean as could be. From my research cheep oil will gunk up the inside quick.

One kind of mistake was buying the string and blade straight shaft attachments. Other than the cutting device the only difference is the guards. I ended up swapping the heads. Put the string on the one with the large deflector and the blade on the one with the smaller deflector.

I would really like to try the new KM94 2 stroke power head. Just to see the difference between the power and weight. The other possible drawback to a 2 stroke is fuel consumption. The 4 Mix sips fuel as far as I'm concerned. My 110 has always had more than enough power for any tasks I throw at it.

I also have a SH86CE shredder vacuum & blower. Was looking at the blower that fits on the power heads. Unfortunately I already had the blower. So I didn't bother with it. I prefer a hand held blower vs a backpack because of my spine/nerve problems.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    That KM94 was nice and light; also has a throttle lock, which is cool. I considered it, but the price for that 1 pound weight savings was too much...I spent a bit more and went with the 111 for the higher power. I'm young enough to not care about the 1lb difference at this point - in another 15 years, probably a different story. And then it'll be time for a new one.

I've been thinking about picking up a new Stihl Shred/vac SH86 as well in the next few weeks for leaf season...My old Echo shred/vac still works, but we have so much area to keep after, having 2 machines will be very handy ... this year seems to be the year for new equipment.
    nastorino likes this.
    John

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:56 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM45 View Post
    Yeah, the guy I was working with at the shop said something about they were having difficulty getting them. He didn't have one on the display, but said, ya know - let me check in back, we just got a shipment yesterday. Sure enough....the new one!!! The new one is lighter by quarter pound or so - may not sound like much, but when its 6 feet away from you on a pole, that's like 50 pounds lighter....ok, I exaggerate. But nonetheless....

As a sidenote, it sure does pay to do your research and be informed. I mentioned about getting the new 145 degree model. He said that a few days prior he just sold the last one he had (well, thought he had). He would have sold me an old model, the 135 degree. I said that I wanted to walk out of there with a full kit since I wanted to use it that morning and get some work done. Little bit of leg work and he found everything in the stock room. If I wouldn't have known different, I would have ended up with the old model. Nothing wrong with the old one, but, why not have the newest?

Same for the KM111. He offered me the KM110 for about 30 bucks less....Nah...this type of equipment doesn't change much. If there is a new model, I want it. I'm hoping I did the right thing going with the KM111 and not the 131. Usually, I go big or go home. So far, the torque on the 111 is fantastic! I might wish for more if I get the bed redefiner someday, but that isn't something I'd use except once a year or so.
    Pays off to do your research. From what I've red the 145 has some nice improvements. I don't have much for bushes so I wouldn't use it to the full extent. +$30 for the latest gen is well worth it.

The KM130 and 131 are definitely powerful units. As a homeowner on 1/3 acre I definitely don't need the 130/131 unit for string trimming. Someday I'll add the 145 hedge unit or the pole saw and it will all make sense. There is some weight difference however after using all 3 previous models to put the electric fence in I could no doubt see and feel the power difference. Buy it right, buy it once. Probably why I bought the x758
    JohnM45 likes this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast