Recomendations for a new Multimeter?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Recomendations for a new Multimeter?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 06:17 AM
    Thanks

Recomendations for a new Multimeter?

My old Fluke is in need of a replacement. Any recommendations for a new upgraded one? Been looking at the Clamp-on ones also. AC/DC is a must.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Well, it really depends on what you want to use it for. Home only use or for your job? If you only need a multi-meter that has the normal functionality, then most any Fluke multi-meter will do that. If you need high amperage testing capabilities, then a clamp on inductive pick up ammeter would be a good choice.

I have one like this. It has a high amperage inductive clamp, has leads to check AC/DC voltage, can also check resistance and has true RMS AC voltage and current measurement. This is usually my go to meter when working around the house.
    Fluke 325 True RMS Clamp Meter

Of course, if you need something with more capabilities, FLuke has them also!!!

Fluke Test & Measurement Tools

When it comes to test equipment, IMO, Fluke is hard to beat!
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,400 Times in 2,636 Posts
    A very general use Multimeter I'd highly recommend is a Fluke 117. They're not super expensive and has Auto V. An automatic voltage sensing circuit and decides on AC/DC for you. It also has voltage detect, just like those pocket voltage detectors. My favorite part of it is Auto V adds a small resistor in the circuit to drag down any false induced voltages that these modern super sensitive meters are so apt to tell you exists. This is what I arm my mechanics with for general use everyday. They are about $150. They work great in automotive, home, and commercial up to 600v cat III ratings.

Amazon Fluke 117

Fluke 117
    pcabe5 and Ray_PA like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Canít go wrong with fluxe as others have stated, but Iíve purchased several of the Milwaukee electrician tools recently and Iím very impressed. I would highly recommend looking at the Milwaukee line of multi meters, they have a few models depending on your budget and features needed.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    Fluke is the gold standard. Period.

There are others out there that are good and will serve you well but I just like the way Flukes work and feel.

I carry many different Fluke meters on my truck. IR cameras, multi-meters, meggers, volt tics, you name it. My go to everyday use meter is my Fluke 376 FC with the iFlex current loop. You can download an app on your smart phone so if you are in a place alone or if your waring a complete arc flash suit, others can see what you are doing and witness measurements from a safe place with my phone.

What ever you pick, always test it on known circuits and inspect the leads. I'm sure you know to do that but it never hurts to have a reminder.

isaac

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Fluke may be the gold standard,, and loved,,,
    but, I purchased a Fluke from the local electrical supply.

Before the second battery was used up, the display was flaky,,,
    missing segments,, etc. The Fluke was DEAD!!

This is with VERY kind, single user, homeowner duty.

After the Fluke, I purchased a cheapo from Lowes,, and a free one from Harbor Freight.
    Both have been perfect for a decade.

Other than clamp-on,, mine do anything I want.
    come to think of it,, I have never wanted to measure amperage,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    A very general use Multimeter I'd highly recommend is a Fluke 117. They're not super expensive and has Auto V. An automatic voltage sensing circuit and decides on AC/DC for you. It also has voltage detect, just like those pocket voltage detectors. My favorite part of it is Auto V adds a small resistor in the circuit to drag down any false induced voltages that these modern super sensitive meters are so apt to tell you exists. This is what I arm my mechanics with for general use everyday. They are about $150. They work great in automotive, home, and commercial up to 600v cat III ratings.

Amazon Fluke 117

Fluke 117

That looks like a great meter at a great price. My old 87-III cost at least twice that around fifteen years ago.
    56FordGuy likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 10:07 AM
    Thanks

Harbor Freight multi meters stink

Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Fluke may be the gold standard,, and loved,,,
    but, I purchased a Fluke from the local electrical supply.

Before the second battery was used up, the display was flaky,,,
    missing segments,, etc. The Fluke was DEAD!!

This is with VERY kind, single user, homeowner duty.

After the Fluke, I purchased a cheapo from Lowes,, and a free one from Harbor Freight.
    Both have been perfect for a decade.

Other than clamp-on,, mine do anything I want.
    come to think of it,, I have never wanted to measure amperage,,,

I'm glad you're enjoying them, but I've been through more than one of every model HF sells and gives for free and none have been worth the gasoline to haul them home.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    I have 2 Klein's that I bought years ago that are as close to the flukes I've owned as I've seen. One is a clamp on and one isn't. Both were in the $140 range also. Home Deposit sells some Klein's but they are the watered down homeowner versions. I got mine from an electrical supply shop.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks
    The free one you get for making a purchase at Harbor Freight. Got about 6 of 'em
    laying around.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast