Need advice installing a locknlube coupler on a new Dewalt grease gun . . .
Like Tree29Likes
  • 5 Post By dieselshadow
  • 5 Post By Levi
  • 3 Post By AlKozak
  • 3 Post By fdmars
  • 7 Post By ralphtt
  • 2 Post By Levi
  • 2 Post By tj1
  • 2 Post By Agitator

Thread: Need advice installing a locknlube coupler on a new Dewalt grease gun . . .

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Thanks

Need advice installing a locknlube coupler on a new Dewalt grease gun . . .

Can't get the original coupler off. Have applied an inordinate amount of torque and it will not budge. Am concerned that anymore torque will damage the hose fitting so the locknlube coupler cannot be installed.

Any advice?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ggcoupler.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	463410
    Ralph T
    Benefactor Member NRA

==============================================

JD 2038R w/Rimguard loaded R4 tires, wheel spacers, LED lights, fender extensions, IMatch, Heavy Hitch, 8-42 lb suitcase weights, Frontier middle buster.

220R FEL with 57" materials bucket, Heavy Hitch tooth bar & Hitch'N Can, KBOH hooks, clevises & receiver hitch.

EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple

JD Z960M with Tweels, Suspension Seat, Advanced Chute System, Hitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 2,634 Posts
    Ralph, are you trying to wrench apart the two silver “nuts”, not the spring portion of the hose right? Not in any way shape or form saying anything, just checking.

I would put the larger coupler “silver nut” in the vise and try to spin off the hose by the flats above the pictured spring. I think that’s what you did and told me earlier this evening.
    Tomfive, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    12-01-2019 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphtt View Post
    Can't get the original coupler off. Have applied an inordinate amount of torque and it will not budge. Am concerned that anymore torque will damage the hose fitting so the locknlube coupler cannot be installed.

Any advice?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ggcoupler.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	463410
    What dieselshadow said. Me? I'd just put a wrench on the top silver nut at 7 o'clock and another one on the bottom silver nut at 5 o'clock and squeeze them together.
    pcabe5, Tomfive, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    The "big silver nut" looks like a compression fitting. It most certainly is not an integral part of the black coupler. Put the coupler in the vise and wrench on the big silver nut.

Remember, lefty loosey righty tighty.

Al
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:08 AM
    Thanks
    don't you put the top nut in the vise and grab the darker part w channel locks and just remove that? not sure the junction is between the nuts?????
    Last edited by fdmars; 10-02-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    Tomfive, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Thanks
    gotterdun!

and I truly appreciate the tips, fellows. GTT expertise wins yet again!

Jason, I had earlier tried by putting the smaller of the two nuts in the vise and wrenching on the large nut. That's what left the vice mark on the smaller nut and was trying to round the corners of the aluminum (soft) nut. So, I abandoned that approach for the time being . . .

And, Levi, I had tried the squeeze the wrenches together trick. Just couldn't generate enough torque . . . maybe I need to eat more Wheaties.

So, then I decided to put the larger nut in the vise and wrench on the smaller nut. This also rotated the hose but only a quarter turn was necessary so it really didn't matter. SUCCESS!! Turned out the smaller nut fit my 12mm wrench better and by using it I was able to get the job done.

And, fd, the junction turned out to be between the nuts. I had tried to remove the darker part with visegrips earlier but no joy.

Thanks, guys!
    Ralph T
    Benefactor Member NRA

==============================================

JD 2038R w/Rimguard loaded R4 tires, wheel spacers, LED lights, fender extensions, IMatch, Heavy Hitch, 8-42 lb suitcase weights, Frontier middle buster.

220R FEL with 57" materials bucket, Heavy Hitch tooth bar & Hitch'N Can, KBOH hooks, clevises & receiver hitch.

EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple

JD Z960M with Tweels, Suspension Seat, Advanced Chute System, Hitch

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    12-01-2019 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphtt View Post
    gotterdun!

and I truly appreciate the tips, fellows. GTT expertise wins yet again!

Jason, I had earlier tried by putting the smaller of the two nuts in the vise and wrenching on the large nut. That's what left the vice mark on the smaller nut and was trying to round the corners of the aluminum (soft) nut. So, I abandoned that approach for the time being . . .

And, Levi, I had tried the squeeze the wrenches together trick. Just couldn't generate enough torque . . . maybe I need to eat more Wheaties.

So, then I decided to put the larger nut in the vise and wrench on the smaller nut. This also rotated the hose but only a quarter turn was necessary so it really didn't matter. SUCCESS!! Turned out the smaller nut fit my 12mm wrench better and by using it I was able to get the job done.

And, fd, the junction turned out to be between the nuts. I had tried to remove the darker part with visegrips earlier but no joy.

Thanks, guys!
    Yah, the roadrunner doesn't have enough protein.

Glad you got things to work.
    pcabe5 and PJR832 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

ralphtt (10-03-2017)

11. Top | #8
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks
    I found mine to be exceptionally tight too but perseverance won out.. Glad it all worked for you.. and I've changed many hoses and tips in my lifetime!
    Levi and PJR832 like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    12-20-2017 @ 07:59 AM
    Thanks

Dewalt grease gun

Anyone have a problem putting grease cartridges in the gun??? I have a heck of a time getting the plunger in, cannot have spring compressed have to let it extend and force in like a slinky.. a real pain
    Levi and PJR832 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements