Any advice on buying a bending brake?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RetiredDoc

Thread: Any advice on buying a bending brake?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Any advice on buying a bending brake?

I want to be able to bend aluminum and mild steel sheets, up to about 3 feet wide. Nothing too thick, things like flashing over doors, What I'd really like is something like Tom Silva on "This Old House" uses, but those seem to be in the $2000 and up price category. The tabletop models that clamp to a bench are around $300 on Amazon, and have mixed reviews.

I'd prefer free-standing, since I have room, and I've found that if I have to pull out a tool and set it up, I tend to rarely use it, even when it is the best tool for a particular job.

Just wondering if anyone has a model in the mid-price range, say $500 to $1000, that they might recommend?
    Titleist1 likes this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-27-2018 @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks
    Check out Harbor Freight. They have a 3' free standing brake for light sheet metal work for $229.00.

2017 1025R - H120 FEL, Loaded R-4 Tires, 60D Auto-Connect w/Hydraulic Lift and Independent Hydraulic Kit, I-Match Hitch, Heavy Hitch Receiver w/Suitcase Weight Bar and Hitch'N Can, Ken's Grab hooks & Clevis.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JDsmith For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc (12-14-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    I like the idea of this unit from Eastwood. 3 in 1, so you have a shear and slip roller too. It would be nice to have a shear in the same unit. It only does up to 30" wide and up tp 20 ga, which isn't much.

Eastwood 30" 3 in 1 Sheet Metal Shear Brake and Slip Roll

They also have one for up to 48" and 18ga but it is only the brake.

Eastwood 48 Inch Box and Pan Sheet Metal Brake

I'd do a lot of research. Like everything else, they make a lot of different ones, with a lot of different features and for a wide range in prices. Do you know anyone who does metal fab work? I'd ask people that are in the trade what their thoughts are about it too. Good luck, let us know what you get.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ctrider For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc (12-14-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks
    I have a Tapco brake I have used for 30 yrs. I don't know what they go for used but all the siding and roofing contractors up here have one. I would try that. Cam lock vs. slide, cams are better,slides are easier. Won't bend thick sheet, made specifically for coil stock.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    05-04-2019 @ 01:39 PM
    Thanks

RE: bending brake

Consider the US built TENNSMITH products-I purchased their shear,slip roller and brake a few years back for my shop,and each pieces has performed very well. So many of the 'blue chip' brands source their products from Chinkland nowadays.......
    Last edited by SAMinIN; 10-16-2018 at 02:51 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements