• 3 Post By blue87fj60
  • 2 Post By Titleist1

Thread: Harbor Freight Trim Router

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks

Harbor Freight Trim Router

Has anyone worked with the HF 1/4" trim router. The motor & bit collet appear to be good. But then they put this cheesy plastic base & depth collar around the thing which will not last. However it is currently selling for $29.99 less 25% off. So the price is fine.

I only need it to cut 48 Lap Joints measuring 4 -1/2" X 4 - 1/2" x 1/2" deep. If I can get through those 48 cuts, I won't care if the thing self destructs when I make the last cut. The only other way I can make those lap cuts is by sawing a bunch of cuts over the given area & then using a chisel to break out the waste. I've done that before & it works well but it takes a lot of time. I thought with 48 Laps to make, it might be worth investing the $21-23 bucks for the trimmer at the discount price.
    Robnik likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Thanks
    Better collect 48 coupons just to be sure.
    Maddog, spferdil and Robnik like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Better collect 48 coupons just to be sure.
    OK- I understand your point & to a certain extent agree with it. The quality of the tool is questionable. But your comment does not answer my question. So is there anyone out there who has "Hands On" experience with this low end tool.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    I can't speak for the HF router, but i used the same strategy for the tile cuts on our backsplash with a cheap HF wet saw. About $60 for the wet saw and I hoped it made it through the one project I had for it and it did!

I would think if you had a quality, sharp router bit and didn't try to take all 1/2" in one pass it should last. I would think the motor would only burn up on that amount of cutting if the bit was dull and/or too deep a pass.

Do you have a good table saw and fence system that you could do it on instead of a router or the chisel method? If I understood correctly, set the fence for a 1/2" cut and the blade depth for 4-1/2" then vice versa to cut out the waste. Thats how I would do it on my a grizzly table saw and decent shop fox fence.
    Maddog and Robnik like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist1 View Post
    I can't speak for the HF router, but i used the same strategy for the tile cuts on our backsplash with a cheap HF wet saw. About $60 for the wet saw and I hoped it made it through the one project I had for it and it did!

I would think if you had a quality, sharp router bit and didn't try to take all 1/2" in one pass it should last. I would think the motor would only burn up on that amount of cutting if the bit was dull and/or too deep a pass.

Do you have a good table saw and fence system that you could do it on instead of a router or the chisel method? If I understood correctly, set the fence for a 1/2" cut and the blade depth for 4-1/2" then vice versa to cut out the waste. Thats how I would do it on my a grizzly table saw and decent shop fox fence.
    Yes I have a table saw but trying to avoid it for this job. Making barn door frames & the lumber is 10 feet long that needs the lap joints. I'm thinking I will just go the old style route-hammer & a really sharp chisel. I'm too lazy to jig out the table saw to handle ten foot 5/4 x 6 stock. Thanks!

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements