Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pressure washer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks

Pressure washer

I've been looking around at pressure washers? lately. The local Deere dealer sells Stihl and of course Deere models. The generacs don't look bad but I know if I go with stihl the dealer can service it if something ever happened. Not looking for hot water right now. If I was I'd get an Aaladin. Does anyone have experience with the Deere, Stihl or Generac models? The models I was looking at were in about the $600-$700 range if I recall correctly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    Personally I have one for Northern Tool. It is an older model but similar to this one that is powered by a Honda engine.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5284_200595284

Mine is also a cold water model but when I was redoing the plumbing in the basement, I set up the hose bib so there are ball valves to control what kind of water I send to the hose bib. Now I can send hot water to it if I need it as well as soft or hard water.

A couple points on pressure washers. Keep in mind that John Deere doesn't make them. They make tractors. There are a bunch of products they sell at dealers that are green with the JD logo that are made by other companies for them. For instance I was once looking at the pretty JD gun safe at my dealer and immediately identified it as the same Liberty Gun Safe that I have in my basement with a different paint job. So if you can figure out who actually makes it, I would look at reviews of that product as they are probably easier to find and maybe even price compare. One may be $100 cheaper than the other and the only difference is the paint. The other area where this matters is with the tips. It seems to me that we had this discussion a while back on this very topic. Someone had the JD pressure washer and was looking for tips but the dealer didn't have them. Something like that. I think we figured out who actually made it for them. I don't remember exactly but something like that.

Also be sure to protect the unit. I didn't see where you live but many people will not think about this and store it in the shed. Here in MN it gets cold in the winter and a quick way to destroy a pressure washer is to not winterize it and let it freeze. I go to the hardware store and they have these little pressurized cans that are filled with an antifreeze/lubricant. It not only gets all the water out but helps keep things lubed up. It is a couple bucks but means I don't have to worry about it freezing up. I do keep it in my heated shop all winter or the heated garage attached to the house but like I said, safe insurance and it helps it when it is just sitting. When it comes to servicing them. There isn't a lot that can be done with the pumps on most units which is why I use the winterizing kits. Other than that it is a small engine driving that pump. There isn't much to them. Personally I can work on a small engine or I would probably go to a more generic small engine shop for work and skip the higher cost JD dealer shop rates if it was out of warranty. Or my Brother-in-law had an issue with the engine on his washer a year or two ago. We went to Harbor Freight and with one of their coupons replaced the entire engine for a little over $100. It was easier to just repower it than mess with his old engine. In that case he screwed up and cross threaded the sparkplug. We could have gone the heli-coil route but he complained about how hard that engine was to start all the time anyhow.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I think this is the thread I was thinking of.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-products.html

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Mine is also a cold water model but when I was redoing the plumbing in the basement, I set up the hose bib so there are ball valves to control what kind of water I send to the hose bib. Now I can send hot water to it if I need it as well as soft or hard water.
    I'm assuming the gas powered washers do not use the water to cool the pump? I have an electric powered unit and it warns to not use hot water.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks

Pressure washer

I contemplated this same thing. Prices for the Stihl ones where just way more than i wanted to spend. I ended up getting the Simpson 3200, with Honda Motor, from Tractor Supply. It was around $340 ish. Stihl one was easily $200 more. Been using it for a year now with no issues.
    I had an old Briggs one, bought at Home Depot, for close to 20 years but had to rebuild the pump twice. And it got all leaky towards the end. 20 yrs is a long life if you ask me. So im saying you can’t go wrong with a cheaper one. Unless i guess if your using it professinally every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by t2timmy; 02-21-2018 at 03:19 PM.
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,641 Posts
    Here is what I bought just a couple months ago. I have used it 3 times works great , and with Honda motor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...25-S/203177499
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'm assuming the gas powered washers do not use the water to cool the pump? I have an electric powered unit and it warns to not use hot water.
    Mine (from TSC) warns NOT to let the engine run and not be washing for over a few minutes, that the water through the pump cools it.
    etcallhome and jgayman like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    It depends on the model and I would follow the directions.

The part I left off my brief summary is I have a whole house tankless water heater. I will go over to the control panel and dial it back to 90f or so. Mine can take temps up to 100f. If I couldn't do this, I could probably mix in some cold to keep from getting too hot. While not as good as the hot pressure washers. 90f is better than 45f which is about what my cold water is from the well.

That and a bit of simple green does a great job of cleaning stuff.

I also don't leave it running if using hot water.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JD X585, 54C deck,

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Thanks
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-H...3835/203185011

I bought this one. It is a rebadged Simpson. Home Depot had it. Some man bought it and brought it back the next day. They never could find anything wrong with it. Figured he just needed a pressure washer for one day and didn’t want to buy one. It was $799.99. I got it for $499.99. Has run great since I have had it.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    I bought the middle sized Still pressure washer last spring. It has a Kohler engine that looks as well made as any other. I hear so many people brag on Honda but I got one on a push mower and I just don't get the big deal?

This PW states in the manual to not run more than a few minutes without spraying to avoid excess pump heat. I have not detected abnormal pump temps from doing this.

Dealer told me Still will warranty the engine and also provide any part of the engine through still distributors.

My impression is that it is well made but does not have quite as much gpm and pressure as other units sold for the same price. That does not bother me, I'm just spraying mud off the dang tractor and such. I don't think I will notice much difference.

The one previously mentioned from Tractor Supply was on sale last year and was a heck of a deal. But I'm mentally ill and like my Stihl stuff...

It starts well, has a giant fuel tank and has worked perfectly so far. The reversed grip trigger on the wand handle is a very sweet touch.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast