How big of a fuel caddy would you get?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: How big of a fuel caddy would you get?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks

How big of a fuel caddy would you get?

I'm torn on sizing my caddy.

I think the tank on my tractor is like 18 gallons, and I've been using two 5 gallon jugs which have poorly sealing caps and require I hold them above a funnel shoved in the filler neck which is over my shoulders when standing on the ground. Since I have weeks of stump grinding in my future, I think it's time to eliminate this part of my work flow.

I'm going to make it have an integral skid base so I can use my forks to take it in/out of my truck's bed, but I don't want to store an excessive amount of fuel either. Too much open "air" inside and you get condensation - there in lies the rub... What's a happy medium?
    mark02tj, Oscar Leroy and Yank like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    Mine is a 50 gallon cube made by Delta and sold at farm and fleet I. Have it mounted to a pallet then I set That on another pallet with wheels so I can roll it around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    mjncad, Bubber, mark02tj and 8 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    12-06-2019 @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post

I think the tank on my tractor is like 18 gallons, and I've been using two 5 gallon jugs which have poorly sealing caps and require I hold them above a funnel shoved in the filler neck which is over my shoulders when standing on the ground. Since I have weeks of stump grinding in my future, I think it's time to eliminate this part of my work flow.

I'm going to make it have an integral skid base so I can use my forks to take it in/out of my truck's bed, but I don't want to store an excessive amount of fuel either. Too much open "air" inside and you get condensation - there in lies the rub... What's a happy medium?
    I got this 25 gallon one and I put it on a pallet.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...068&id=2685676

The pallet gets put up on a pallet rack so gravity feed is no problem. It is easy to move when it needs to be filled, and easier to put up on that rack with my Artillian forks.

This feeds my 4052R for quite a while and I don’t worry about the fuel sitting too long. It has helped me feel better about my noodle arms and my inability to hold 5 gallon cans over my head.
    fdmars, Bubber, mark02tj and 4 others like this.
    2017 4052R, H180MSL, 3rd/4th SCV, Fitrite top and tilt
    Woods BSM84 84” box blade
    Peruzzo Elk Cross 1600 60” flail

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I don't have noodle arms, I just hate standing there waiting for gravity to do it's job.
    mark02tj likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,301 Posts
    I don't have noodle arms, I just hate standing there waiting for gravity to do it's job.
    Exactly.... and gravity is so unreliable!

2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 2,342 Posts
    Think ahead.

You have to hold the fuel cans above your shoulder - you won’t be able to do that forever. For my tractor is was chest high and had to quit doing it years ago.

I wouldn’t discount a permanent tank. You can get a 275 gal oil tank for a lot less than those portable tanks -way less.

As far as water/condensation issues - that was my concer at first also. I have a 150 gallon tank that I only 1/2 fill every other year. I treat it with winter treatmemt plus a tank treatment when I have it filled. I have a manual rotary pump with a filter/water separator.

I have never had an issue. I keep an eye in my tractors water separator and have never found a drop. I get my fuel delivered when I get my home heating fuel delivered. Even if you don’t have that I think their minimum deliver is 150 gallons without a surcharge.

You may very well thank yourself as you get older and don’t have to handle fuel at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87EF4B1D-FA70-4C66-9F2E-162A1C0A651A.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	564281
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Exactly.... and gravity is so unreliable!

Gravity is extremely reliable. I just hate working against it the whole time I'm trying to fill my tractor up.
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks

55gallons of off road diesel treated with stanadyne and a 110v GPI pump

25gallons of 90 octane thanks free treated with sea foam and Lucas treatments and a GPI rotary pump

I selected these sizes, because they represent what I would use in @4 months or less. I think freshness and getting seasonal blended fuels is important. Size your at home fuel system to your fuel usage. Having said that you can get a 50 gallon take for instance and once fill it half way so it’s not sitting around, but then in the summer or for a big job fill it all the way.

I have a big write up on my setup if you like it in another thread.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    flyweight and Oscar Leroy like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Thanks

I think to answer your question, we have to ask a few more. How many full days of chipping will it take to go through a full tank of fuel? How close / convenient is it go refuel the proposed tank? I'm assuming that a lot of stump grinding is going to be an ongoing activity - is this a correct assumption?

A quick Google search suggests that your tractor burns 3.5 GPH when using the PTO at operating speed. Assuming a "full day", including lunch breaks, etc., you're going to go through almost a full tank per day of chipping. A 55 gallon drum will give you 3 fill ups - so I'm thinking you'll want to go bigger than that.

TSC seems to have some tanks in the 100 gallon range that are fairly reasonably priced. When you get into tanks that are bigger than that, they really start getting pricey.

Another thing to consider is how and where you want to pump the fuel. Is gravity an option? Or will you need an actual pump? If you need a pump, do you want electric? For me, I'd want electric for a couple of reasons. First, I have to stand on the operator's station to see in the tank. If I'm hand pumping, I can't see the fuel level and I'd probably overfill more often than not. Also, when I watched Tractor Tim's video, he had to pump many times (76 revolutions???) to fill his much smaller tank. I'd be too worn out to do any real work after cranking enough fuel into my tractor!

Do you have a local fuel guy that delivers? What about checking with him to see about renting a 250 or so tank on a stand for a few months? I'd bet he has some used ones around his facility. That way, when you're done with the project and your fuel needs greatly decrease, you can send the tank back to him. Or, if you think you want to keep the capacity, I'm sure he'd sell you one.
    Tractor Tim likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    12-06-2019 @ 12:09 PM
    Thanks
    Gravity is extremely reliable. I just hate working against it the whole time I'm trying to fill my tractor up.
    Whenever I see the kids screwing around and they trip and fall I make a comment along the lines that gravity still works doesn't it.

I guess I would look at how many hours of use can you get out of that 18 gallon tank on the tractor? Does it last a day of steady use? Then figure out how many trips to town do you want to make. Do you head to town for lunch every day which is right next to the gas station? Well then it isn't as big of a deal getting a smaller tank. If it means a special 30 mile round trip just for fuel, then it is eating into your productivity and you should maybe consider a larger tank. What is the work schedule that you are planning on doing? Do you head up there work for 3-4 days straight without leaving the property, then are heading out back to the metro area? If something like that is the case, I would figure out what 3-4 days of steady use means in fuel consumption and shoot for that size tank. With that kind of turn over you are not going to have to worry about water in the fuel as much.

Our use is different than yours, we use a smaller 25 gallon caddy. I fill it on average once a season (spring/summer/fall/winter). Well maybe twice in the summer. Well, I guess I get a bit more fuel than 25 gallons because I normally load a machine up on my trailer as well. I transfer all the fuel to the machine I am not taking, normally my X585 because it has the smallest tank, load up the caddy with the Z950R and run them a mile to the gas station and that will total about 36 gallons each time. The one thing I don't like about our caddy is there isn't a way to close the vent so some fuel splashes out. Since it is a short trip I don't loose much.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast