Green Tractor Talk banner

Which toolbox

7K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  BigJim55 
#1 ·
Ok thinking of a new toolbox for shop
Harbor freight box, John Deere, or a scratch and dent from a truck
Let's here the pros and cons

#2 ·
You didn't really say what you were looking for... rolling cabinet, top box, middle box, size, etc. I have one of the HF 44" rolling boxes and for the money I don't think you'll find a better value. I got mine when it was on sale + a coupon.

Toolbox Tool cabinet Hardware accessory Machine Metal

Reactions: Robnik and fdmars
#4 ·
I also have the harbor freight but in the 52". Watch the sale flyers and get a great value.

Reactions: Robnik
#6 ·
I’m in the market too, been looking at Waterloo and a few others, but darn that pro series from Horible Fright is just hard to pass over and all the reviews and comparisons are very favorable.

#14 ·
If I was buying a "pro" box, it would be a Matco. Overall best designed drawers of any of them (at least when I was looking 4-5 years ago)
My buddy that's an diesel tech uses his drawers as steps to get to a shelf above the box. Won't see a Snap-off standing up to that abuse! :laugh:

#8 ·
Reactions: Robnik
#10 ·
I'll second the Milwaukee box from Home Depot. I have one and love it. Comes with drawer liners and has soft drawer closures.

#11 ·
As much as I'd love a snap-on, its way out of my league for "joe-homeowner". I refuse to go HF. I thought Waterloo made some really nice boxes...my local hardware store sells several. The DeWalt brand looks good, Channelock - meh...Dewalt. The Waterloo line they carry is the "budget" entry level....

I ended up with "Extreme Tools" brand - seemed a much better value. I've not bought the lower roller cart yet, but have the top box right now. Its served me very well the past 5 years. Drawers are loaded down and still very solid. I"ll happily spend the money on the lower cart/toolbox. Well worth it, IMO.

Reactions: Robnik and Gizmo2
#12 ·
I got the 52” Milwaukee roller box w wood top, from Home Depot as well, love it.....

#15 ·
Check out the Masterforce brand at Menards. I have two both top and bottom. Great boxes for the money.

#16 ·
Here's my Matco I picked up 13 yrs ago on e-bay for 6000.00 used. Nothing compare's, expensive, yes, but money didn't matter to me then. It's 10'6" wide.
I bet I can get more than that today.

Attachments

#18 ·
Toolbox...TTWT style...

I love mine, and it was less expensive than all of the majors, and even signficantly less than the Harbor Freight version.
I think it looks great. It rolls easy, etc. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

It has been slightly redesigned since I purchased mine...for the better. Now there is a drawer in the top middle, with the door opening not quite as tall.

#19 ·
Tool boxes can be as dangerous and tractors and attachments... they can easily keep needing (WANTING) upgrading and costing more and more and more cash!!!!

Take me for example.
1st Box- A 3 drawer bench top crapsman
2nd Box- HF hazzard fraud 44. Outgrew and sold on CL for $25 loss. GREAT BOX
3rd Box CL find- Snap on Classic 60. Loved it. Deeper and just nicer overall.... but at a cost. $$$ Caught the bug and...
4th Box CL find- Snap on Classic 96 Wide guy with top hutch... and sold the Classic 60 for +$500.

Now this is where things go downhill, when I learn you can buy right and use for a while and not just NOT loose money, but pick up a few bucks...

5th box- LONG search via google to find matching color- I buy a top box for the 96... from canada... sight unseen, and it shows up via uship... PERFECT for a great deal.

All is well, until a local Snap on master series KRL1023 pops up. I put a lowball offer on it, and dude sells it to me nearly a year later after no bites on his high CL asking price. So....
6th Box- KRL1023, and sell the 96 for +$1000... within a week. Guy is thrilled with the deal and so was I.

So if you are following, now I have a krl bottom box, a classic top, and a hutch above that. 6 foot wide, and about 9' tall! HAHA! Lots of space, and all foamed and organized to a T.

In the end the HF was a fine box, but once you catch the bug, bigger is better, deeper is more better, and on it goes. I do think I am now set... for... a little while.... I HOPE! The epic 84 does look appealing!

For good box ideas, check out the toolbox thread on garagejournal... everything from mild to wild over there! The only obvious kicker with the bigger boxes is by no way buy new. Even at 1/2 off they are a ripoff. If you dont have the cash, go cheap, or even pegboad. Heck, I still prefer pegboard to boxes for many tools. Never finance a box!!! EVER!!! LOL! Craigslist and facebook is the spot to find deals!

Good Luck!

#20 ·
Dedicated Tractor Servicing Cart/Toolbox

After much debate I decided to purchase one of the HF 30" 5 Drawer Mechanic's Cart on sale for $169.99 to use as a dedicated service cart for the tractor. It's a really good value for what you get and I will be setting it up with all tractor-specific equipment, tools, parts, etc... That's my plan and it seems to be working so far....

Sincerely

Furniture Machine Drawer Hardware accessory

Font Technology Advertising Flyer

#21 ·
After much debate I decided to purchase one of the HF 30" 5 Drawer Mechanic's Cart on sale for $169.99 to use as a dedicated service cart for the tractor. It's a really good value for what you get and I will be setting it up with all tractor-specific equipment, tools, parts, etc... That's my plan and it seems to be working so far....

Sincerely

View attachment 583073
I just watched a YouTube video which compared this toolbox to a nearly identical model from Snap-On which was built similar enough to have come out of the same factory. The Snap-on version was a tad over $900. By my calculations you could buy the HF box, fill it to the brim with Pittsburgh Pro tools and still not come anywhere close to $900.

#27 ·
:dunno:jeepers-sounds like my Kobalt boxes are gonna become classic's now:nunu::mocking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.