Like Tree246Likes

Thread: Wire splice connectors and crimpers

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,311 Posts

Wire splice connectors and crimpers

I spent my entire life with a cheap wire crimp connector set along with the cheap stripper/crimper. After my project yesterday I have decided to get some decent tools.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22259FL.gif 
Views:	144 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	572817

Firstly is a decent crimper. My hands don't work so well anymore and need something that helps make it easier. Also hate hate hate these cheap crimpers where you have to get the connecter into the handle end of the hinge to crimp.

In my search I found these ratcheting crimpers - the ratchetting part tweaks my interest to help with not having much power in my hands.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Name:	71FG5DFa2jL._SX522_.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	572825

After reading a bunch of reviews a lot of people recommend these crimpers. Big plus is you use the end of the tool - but no ratcheting mechanism. But the 10" long handles would really help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...V6SZGM65&psc=1

Name:	611DNOgu3UL._SY679_.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	572833

Then the next issue is stripping the wire. These look like the ticket for me also.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Name:	81O3JFNQB-L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	572841

These tools represent a pretty good investment for me. They are not something I use every day but when I do need them I want to have something decent. That along with some decent butt connectors with heat shrink ends and I would be set for the rest of my life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9RB7NG5N&psc=1

Name:	61VC9oM+72L._SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	572849

Opinions or thoughts?
    fdmars, Tomfive, ChrisR and 10 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks
    Made the investment long time ago. All I use is the heat shrink connectors, terminals, spades, eyes etc. I also bought a nice tool box with individual pull out trays and have all my connectors organized by size etc.. Keep small butane torch in it also to shrink connectors, shrink tubing along with dielectric grease, tape, testers etc.
    etcallhome, JKR, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,143 Times in 2,585 Posts
    I have both the Klien and Channellock versions of the crimpers you linked, and the very strippers you linked as well. I can recommend both. My experience with ratchet crimpers is dismal when used with a variety of connectors, they have to be perfectly spec'd for a proper crimp-I'd would avoid them.

Also, only get get connectors like the Thomas & Betts ones, stay far away form the elcheapo ones.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks
    Did the same thing, but did it when radio shack was going out of business last year. I walk out with close to 900 worth of stuff for 45 dollars. It was the first day of their 85% off clearance. I probably spent 1.5 hours going through every parts drawer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,613 Posts
    I would agree wholeheartedly with Ken here. Do not get the ratchet style. They’re perfect when you have the right die and the correct crimp connectors. Other than that they will under/over crimp any other others leaving a much less desirable connection.

Heat shrink connectors are the only way to go. T&B are top of the line and worth the dollars. I refuse to use regular crimp connectors as they are always a compromise and add a layer of problems down the road when they corrode internally or let loose. Heat shrink style won’t do either.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:19 PM
    Thanks
    I was in the same boat. I alos went with the vise grip crimpers and the same wire stripper. I also got the same heat shrink connectors and I bought rolls of shrink tubing. I use the heat shrink connectors the let it cool then put shrink tubing over the whole connector.
    BigJim55 and spferdil like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Soldering is always preferred for splices, especially with anything that can get wet. You can get flooded heat shrink which will render a splice waterproof after shrinking.

I don't find the ratcheting crimp tools that much of an advantage with putting spade connectors and the like on. I have one that is used for putting coax connectors on, but that's not tractor work! While they make a professional crimp, you may need a specific die set for each size connector/wire combination. Unless you're doing high volume professional work, I don't see how that is worth the expense.

The diagonal cutters with the crimp die (2nd photo) are designed for putting the green bonding sleeves on ground wires in electrical work. They will pierce the plastic sleeve on a crimp on connector.

Al
    Tomfive, spferdil and danselec07 like this.

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,101 Times in 3,023 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    After reading a bunch of reviews a lot of people recommend these crimpers. Big plus is you use the end of the tool - but no ratcheting mechanism. But the 10" long handles would really help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...V6SZGM65&psc=1

Name:	611DNOgu3UL._SY679_.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	572833
    I have a pair similar to these, best I've ever found and I've crimped thousands and thousands of crimps. I think the pair I have are Klein.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Ideal and Klein are about the best in the industry in my opinion. I have some of those automatic strippers, but never use them. The jaws/cutting blades seem to get out of alignment after being tossed around in the toolbox. For me it's quicker to use the regular wire strippers. I personally don't like the all-in-one tools if I'm doing a lot of terminations.
    2012 JD 2320
    1985 JD 318
    1952 JD MC
    1974 IH 784 4WD

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Thanks
    I use something like this for stripping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFXD22E..._-JNRAbCX4VCDF

Nice and small and let me cut the insulation back the length I want. The auto kind are nice if you have room to work and are doing the same connector multiple times since you can dial in the cut length for consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kennyd, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast