Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Step ladders, aluminum vs fiberglass

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:05 AM
    Thanks

Question Step ladders, aluminum vs fiberglass

I need to buy another 8 foot step ladder since I damage my fiberglass ladder. I have been reading the cons and pros about aluminum vs fiberglass. Which one would you prefer and why? I need to replace an 8 foot fiberglass ladder. I'm considering a aluminum ladder because of a foldable shelf, ligher and cheaper. None of the fiberglass ladders have the shelf. The only electrical work I may do with it is changing out light bulbs. I never owned a aluminum step or extension ladder. All of them have been fiberglass.
    Last edited by ultra7350; 03-20-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    OxPath and Old Cajun like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra7350 View Post
    I need to buy another 8 foot step ladder since I damage my fiberglass ladder. I have been reading the cons and pros about aluminum vs fiberglass. Which one would you prefer and why? I need to replace an 8 foot fiberglass ladder. I'm considering a aluminum ladder because of a foldable shelf, ligher and cheaper. None of the fiberglass ladders have the shelf. The only electrical work I may do with it is changing out light bulbs. I never owned a aluminum step or extension ladder. All of them have been fiberglass.
    Fiberglass

Aluminum gets sloppy as all hell over the years making it dangerous oh and not an entry level one either. Get a good one. 8 feet is a lot of levering on a cheap ladder.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, fdmars and 5 others like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Thanks
    My ladders are a few years old, but for 8' or taller, I've never felt as stable on an aluminum step ladder as on fiberglass. I do use a 6' aluminum ladder for light work, but it moves around a lot more than my 8' and 10' orange ones. (If you went up one weight class, you might find better rigidity.) When I'm working up high though, I don't want to have to worry about my stance. Loss of the folding shelf can be an issue for painting, but for other work, my tools fit into the holes and indents in the black plastic top, as does a 1-qt paint can. I've fallen once, so my vote goes to fiberglass, despite the weight. (For extension ladders, I vote the other way since weight matters more.)
    mjncad, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Recently bought this Werner aluminum one from Lowes, lots of capabilities, easy to carry, fairly cheap, very well built.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-MT-A...adder/50398354
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aluminum ladder.jpg  
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 11 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

7. Top | #5
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Recently bought this Werner aluminum one from Lowes, lots of capabilities, easy to carry, fairly cheap, very well built.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-MT-A...adder/50398354
    I have several of these. They are awesome but heavy as mother you know what. Still will use one of these over a standard 8' fiberglass. You can stand on both sides of the Werner. If I only need a 4' I'll take a fiberglass all day. These werner's are built to be an A-Frame or extension type ladder. Only downside is it's weight and cost. If I could only have one ladder at the house it would be the Werner.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks
    I can tell you what not to buy...wood. I have a 13' wood stepladder that is a heavy PITA.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Thanks
    I use fiberglass. This largely do to I work construction , and my employer along with most industrial customers do not allow aluminum ladders on the job site. I think this is do to aluminum being a conductor. Whatever the reason the safety guys only allow fiberglass ladders on the job, so they must be better.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,009 Posts
    As others said, Fiberglass.
    I also have one similar to what Old Cajun post.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    I have the exact ladder OC posted and it's a nice ladder with multiple uses. After dragging the heavy thing around the yard all day doing light work I went and bought an 8' fiberglass to replace the one I broke when I purchased the adjustable aluminum ladder. An 8' fiberglass ladder is just dang handy to have around.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 4 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    I vote for fiberglass, and on mine I bought a add on shelf. I know costs more but have had it for 10 years now and going strong.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 5 others like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast