I bought a BEASTLY 20V impact; maybe too big?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: I bought a BEASTLY 20V impact; maybe too big?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks

Hello everybody!

Well, Sunday was a decent day, so I decided to get some work done. And, as usual, the universe conspired against me.

I had 3 bolts to loosen, and I could get only 1 undone. Even with my son involved and a 4 ft. breaker bar that bolt wasn't coming out. I shot some PB Blaster in there but didn't use heat, btw...

Off to Rural King! We'll throw money at the problem 'till it goes away. Came out of the store with the Dewalt DCF897B- the 20V brushless impact gun but I bought the 3/4 inch version that's all they had that I liked. I wanted a 1/2" drive, but they had a corded version and a dinky version and a kit version. I already have some DW yellow stuff, so I'm fully invested in the ecosystem now, so I didn't consider Milwaukee. I needed just the tool as I have batteries and a charger. I did get an 18mm socket and a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter though.

So... The Dewalt chews on one bolt for a few seconds and off it comes. Bad bolt #2 also yields easily. Son is impressed LOL.

Anyway, I guess I can work with the adapter, or change the anvil maybe? I got the hog ring version. I don't have a full set of impact sockets, and I don't wanna break the regular sockets I do have. I guess I'm worried about getting the wrench in tight places, with the added bulk of the adapter. Has anybody ever run into this problem?
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 5 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMMAC View Post
    Hello everybody!

Well, Sunday was a decent day, so I decided to get some work done. And, as usual, the universe conspired against me.

I had 3 bolts to loosen, and I could get only 1 undone. Even with my son involved and a 4 ft. breaker bar that bolt wasn't coming out. I shot some PB Blaster in there but didn't use heat, btw...

Off to Rural King! We'll throw money at the problem 'till it goes away. Came out of the store with the Dewalt DCF897B- the 20V brushless impact gun but I bought the 3/4 inch version that's all they had that I liked. I wanted a 1/2" drive, but they had a corded version and a dinky version and a kit version. I already have some DW yellow stuff, so I'm fully invested in the ecosystem now, so I didn't consider Milwaukee. I needed just the tool as I have batteries and a charger. I did get an 18mm socket and a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter though.

So... The Dewalt chews on one bolt for a few seconds and off it comes. Bad bolt #2 also yields easily. Son is impressed LOL.

Anyway, I guess I can work with the adapter, or change the anvil maybe? I got the hog ring version. I don't have a full set of impact sockets, and I don't wanna break the regular sockets I do have. I guess I'm worried about getting the wrench in tight places, with the added bulk of the adapter. Has anybody ever run into this problem?
    If you really want the 1/2" version, I'll bet there's someone out there that will trade you even up. You won't break the sockets if you don't hit the limit with something that's too tight. I forget how much that version puts out but 700-800 ft lbs will break most regular sockets if the bolt or nut doesn't give up first.

Treefarmer
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 5 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,150 Times in 3,053 Posts
    I went with the smaller 1/2 DeWalt version for the same reason (tight spaces). My old corded impact would not fit under the Z915B mower deck.
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 1,665 Posts
    I bought the Dewalt 1/2" drive believe it has up to 400# and so far haven't found anything it won't take off. I would have liked to have gotten brushless but it has worked great for me so no complaints.

Wow yours should be able to destroy just about anything.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Specs for the 3/4 and the 1/2 drive are the same: 700 ft/lbs tighten and 1200 to loosen.

I'm kind of liking the Dewalt 894- it's a half inch drive, 300 tighten and maybe 500 to loosen. It also has some sort of sensor that slows the motor when things are getting tight or at the end of threads.

Not a lot cheaper, but maybe more versatile, more useful. Size is a bit smaller and it's lighter. I'm going to feel bad if I decide to take the big one back.

I have a Rigid 1/4 impact drive. It's nice, but not a lot of ooomph. Maybe 100 to tighten and 200 to loosen.
    Last edited by 9MMMAC; 04-10-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:08 AM
    Thanks
    Why are you asking, “is it too big?”, after you bought it?
    mjncad, Gizmo2, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Hello everybody!

If there is a return period return it. Me, I would keep it, I like big stuff and have 3/4" impact sockets, in addition to 1/2" If I were buying, I'd buy the 1/2" brushless

Specs for the 3/4 and the 1/2 drive are the same: 700 ft/lbs tighten and 1200 to loosen.

I'm kind of liking the Dewalt 894- it's a half inch drive, 300 tighten and maybe 500 to loosen. It also has some sort of sensor that slows the motor when things are getting tight or at the end of threads.

Not a lot cheaper, but maybe more versatile, more useful. Size is a bit smaller and it's lighter. I'm going to feel bad if I decide to take the big one back.

I have a Rigid 1/4 impact drive. It's nice, but not a lot of ooomph. Maybe 100 to tighten and 200 to loosen.
    I think that sensor is when loosening, it slows down when the bolt or nut spins free, but not sure
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raco232 View Post
    Why are you asking, “is it too big?”, after you bought it?
    "

'Cuz I had enough time and daylight for ONE trip into town. Besides, it didn't seem that big in the store.
    raco232 and Robnik like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    If there is a return period return it. Me, I would keep it, I like big stuff and have 3/4" impact sockets, in addition to 1/2" If I were buying, I'd buy the 1/2" brushless

I think that sensor is when loosening, it slows down when the bolt or nut spins free, but not sure
    Yes, after watching some YouTube videos, that seems to be exactly what is going on. I like that idea; less chance to snap a bolt.

Ya, I know the one I have now has 3 different settings, and a variable speed trigger, but I think I can break an anvil with a plastic spoon.
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:09 PM
    Thanks

Harbor freight impact sockets are pretty cheap, and quality is acceptable to me for hobby use.
    Gizmo2 and Robnik like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast