New purchase today Stihl trim saw.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: New purchase today Stihl trim saw.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks

New purchase today Stihl trim saw.

Been wanting a new light saw for limbing and to carry on gator or quad when Iím out hunting. My other saws get heavy when just limbing or cutting small stuff and I always carry a saw when out hunting in the Upper as never know what you can come across. My old Homelite that I used for this task has had it. Stihl donít seam to have sales very often so when my dealer sent a flier that these were on sale, figured it was time. Me and the Mrs. went for a ride and as always looked a new tractors and they had the new Gator in the show room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3C056234-4543-4824-B66B-66632F2B1262.png
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    Been wanting a new light saw for limbing and to carry on gator or quad when Iím out hunting. My other saws get heavy when just limbing or cutting small stuff and I always carry a saw when out hunting in the Upper as never know what you can come across. My old Homelite that I used for this task has had it. Stihl donít seam to have sales very often so when my dealer sent a flier that these were on sale, figured it was time. Me and the Mrs. went for a ride and as always looked a new tractors and they had the new Gator in the show room.
    did ya happen to sit in the new gator- while uns was there??? by the way-nice saw
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 2,309 Posts
    I have the 180 - my only saw now and about all I can handle.

For a small saw it is quite remarkable. So light and easy to maneuver. Another big reason I got the 180 is for the easy start which is a must for me.

The 170 will be perfect for a ďto goĒ saw for you.
    Gizmo2, jdmich, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    did ya happen to sit in the new gator- while uns was there??? by the way-nice saw
    Oh yea me and the Mrsís Checked out the room in the cab. Lots room for hanky pankey but salesman was tooo noisy With everything up off the floor you can definitely sit 3 across. It was a M so didnít have the head liner and nicer interior, but sure is nice. $21,500 if I remember correctly. Didnít have a few things on it I would have to have, but was nicely equipped. Really like the windshield how it opens. Mrs. and I agree just think weíll keep the 825i......itís paid for.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks
    I didn't think Stihl sold anything for such few dollars. Three chains could cost me that much. Be sure to let us know how she cuts.
    jdmich likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 10:12 AM
    Thanks
    Harvesting kindling has never been easier since I purchased an ultralight weight saw. With a 20Ē bar on my Husky 262xp, I didnít think I needed anything longer than 14Ē for the lighter work on my Echo CS-310. That MS 170 looks really good. Keep us posted.
    GREENVA, jdmich and johnH123 like this.
    2016 2032R w/H130, 53" Bucket, Frontier AP12F Pallets Forks, 5í King Kutter Rotary Tiller, TSC Carry-All, Engine Block Heater.
    2000 345 w/48c Mower Deck, Front Bumper, Halogen Lights, Governor at Max RPM. 367hrs
    1990 Push Mower, electric start, rear bagger.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:34 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    I drove the new gator the other day and was "chauffeured around" in it so my friend, Ryan, who is the salesman at my Deere dealer and I could have a private conversation.

I was so busy focusing on the actual conversation, I didn't pay any attention to the Gator for the first several minutes until Ryan drove it over a cliff and it was about a 45 degree hill down, probably 80 feet or more.........When he drove over the edge, I thought "Well, we might get to test the ROPS in the cab" but not to be, the gator handled it like a champ. The width made it very stable and never even gave me any concerns. Even more impressive was we turned around and came back up the hill.........

It was nice, the cab was nice, it reminds me of the cab on my tractor with the suicide doors hinged in the rear of the door, etc. Very easy to get in and out of the cab the way the doors hinge.

It had that strong "new plastic smell" as there is a lot of plastic inside of the gator and the cab itself. But it's not cheap rattly plastic, but decent interior motor vehicle plastic quality.

I think the Gator we were in was the largest gas model before the diesel option. It was in the mid $20's if I recall. Ryan is likely to read this and he might just comment and provide the details. Ryan, please do provide the model, price, options, etc. as I know Big Jim has been quite interested in these new Gators......

Since I don't have a need for a Gator, I haven't paid much attention to the new gator. But it is a nice unit. I am 6'4" and I was surprised how much room there was in the 2 door model in the cab. I wasn't cramped or anything.....

Regarding the comments by JDMICH about the room he saw for other activities inside the cab, well, .......

What was once exciting and adventurous when you are young quickly becomes dangerous as you age.

It would be interesting to have the first responders having to untangle some older people who became too frisky in the cab and wrenched their back or otherwise compromised their immobility. It would give an interesting new angle to replace the old commercial of "Help, I have fallen and I can't get.... up".....Replace the lady lying on the floor in her kitchen or bathroom with a couple of people who should know better requiring assistance and having to push their emergency Alert button while inside the John Deere Gator cab.

Now THAT would be a commercial which would sell ............something.....probably false hope to many of those who were once younger and friskier.

"The mind is willing and the heart desires and is interested but the body is less flexible, so proceed cautiously."
    jdmich likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #8
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I've been checking prices on a couple different Stihl chainsaw models. The MS251 and the MS271 to be specific. What I found is the ridiculous difference in price when it comes to getting a price from PA dealers versus OH dealers. I live in PA, but I am getting the saw in OH. You would think it shouldn't matter where you purchase, but evidently for some reason in most definitely does matter. Go figure!
    coaltrain and jdmich like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 2,309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I've been checking prices on a couple different Stihl chainsaw models. The MS251 and the MS271 to be specific. What I found is the ridiculous difference in price when it comes to getting a price from PA dealers versus OH dealers. I live in PA, but I am getting the saw in OH. You would think it shouldn't matter where you purchase, but evidently for some reason in most definitely does matter. Go figure!
    Iíve only checked 2 Stihl dealers and both are at list price for everything except what is on special on the Stihl site which is usually $10 off a couple items.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I’ve only checked 2 Stihl dealers and both are at list price for everything except what is on special on the Stihl site which is usually $10 off a couple items.
    Stan, I am looking at either the MS251 Wood Boss, or the MS271 Farm Boss, both with 18" bars. The OH dealers price on the 251 was 323.00. The 271 was 389, and with a 20" bar was only another 10 bucks. As for those same saws with the 18" bar in PA. Man, oh man. The 251 was 365.00, and the 271 was 423.00!!
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520