Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By nikdfish

Thread: updated a small winch today

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-05-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks

updated a small winch today

I had picked up a small (3000 lb) atv winch a while back when it was on sale at Tractor Supply. I set it up for portable use, mounting it on a 3/16" plate. The plate has quick links so it can be attached to a tree or the car hauler rail with one or two axle straps if needed. I never did like the wiring harness that was provided with the winch, no contactor, just a straight run from battery to switch to winch of not so heavy wire.

After replacing the leads on an old AC-225S welder, I had some surplus 4 AWG cable available (a short spare lead that came with the welder & in decent shape unlike those on the welder). Since I already had the tools for crimping lugs, spare wire & lugs, I ordered a replacement atv contactor set ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) some 1/2" heat shrink and a set of 175 amp anderson powerpole connectors with contacts for 4 AWG to swap things out.

This is the old wiring harness I removed, not sure but at best it might be 8 AWG (thinking it may be more like 10).

The contactor got mounted on the back edge of the 3/16" plate & 4 AWG feeds made up for winch & battery connections. The contactor kit came with boots for the terminal connections. The battery end of the cables got an anderson connector. The IN/OUT toggle intended for vehicle mounting is now a pendent on a 10' cable. The hot wire for the switch got extended to match the length of the contactor control leads & mounted via ring terminal to the (+) battery connection on the contactor.

I upgraded the battery side connector to 4 AWG as well. This is the deep cycle battery that is part of the solar powered components in the tractor storage shed. I can pull it out if I want portable power for the winch. The quick release clamps are the feed from the panel. The fused small anderson powerpole connector runs to the fuse block for lights & small inverter. In addition to the winch, the 175 amp connector can also be used to power an 800 watt inverter.

mark02tj, keane and firemachine69 like this.
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Thanks
    I like the idea of making it "portable". I've been toying with taking the 8000 lb Warn off my Jeep and doing something with it for the tractor. That winch is pretty heavy to try and make it "portable" though.

Nice job on the rewiring!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements