Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: New saw

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks

New saw

Still in the midst of our tree removal cleanup our little Husky 142 is really acting up. Wears me out trying to hot start it. It's been a great saw for 15 years and I'll probably try to get it fixed, but I picked up a Stihl Farm boss today. Played around with it some this afternoon and it's a whole different animal. Got carried away cutting trees down and added to the mess we are trying to clean up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, grnspot110, keane and 10 others like this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    jh160 -

It's hard to go wrong with Stihl; well built, user friendly, and generally very reliable. We have numerous saws, trimmers, hedge clippers, blowers, and a nice Kombi set. My SIL and husband own the oldest Stihl dealer in the U.S. in Beaver, Ohio - they can fix Stihls both old and new, as well as other brands.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
    Still in the midst of our tree removal cleanup our little Husky 142 is really acting up. Wears me out trying to hot start it. It's been a great saw for 15 years and I'll probably try to get it fixed, but I picked up a Stihl Farm boss today. Played around with it some this afternoon and it's a whole different animal. Got carried away cutting trees down and added to the mess we are trying to clean up.

Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    I do love that new saw smell!
    It doesn't take long to put a couple tons of wood on the ground when you get going, my back hurts just thinking of the processing after that.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    Everything else we have is Stihl and we have gotten good service from them so I was pretty confident with it. The husky was the lone outlier.

Gizmo2, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeCoGreenTractorMan View Post
    jh160 -

It's hard to go wrong with Stihl; well built, user friendly, and generally very reliable. We have numerous saws, trimmers, hedge clippers, blowers, and a nice Kombi set. My SIL and husband own the oldest Stihl dealer in the U.S. in Beaver, Ohio - they can fix Stihls both old and new, as well as other brands.

Brian
    i wished ur SIL and husband wasn't that far from my place. or i would haul my boys one Stihl out to them to try and fix his. he bought it new several yrs ago. while not in use-it leaks the chain oil out in the carrying case-badly-i mean to empty. he's taken it to 2 different fellas-one a reputable stihl dealer who just told him to make sure he runs it out of oil before he puts it away.

when my boy bought this saw-he bought it at a Napa store here locally-they the parts counter guy who was supposedly trained to work on them-tried 3 times to fix the leak-finally gave up on it. i told my boy to take it to a regular dealer-cause he was supposed to have the extended warranty by buying extra oil at the time(2cyle oil in the gas) but after the let down at what i thought was a good dealer-kinda gave him the brush off-which i think came from him buying it at the napa store-which is since closed here locally. nice saw-runs good-just leaks bar oil out while sitting in the case.

i would imginae it would take a new bar oil case on the saw to fix the leak? the one place told him they had a bad run of them like his? ever hear of something like that? can u post the name of the dealer u spoke off? maybe i could call him-and make arrangements to carry it out to them later this summer. would be nice to get my saw back in my garage. thanks.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-16-2019 @ 03:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    i wished ur SIL and husband wasn't that far from my place. or i would haul my boys one Stihl out to them to try and fix his. he bought it new several yrs ago. while not in use-it leaks the chain oil out in the carrying case-badly-i mean to empty. he's taken it to 2 different fellas-one a reputable stihl dealer who just told him to make sure he runs it out of oil before he puts it away.

when my boy bought this saw-he bought it at a Napa store here locally-they the parts counter guy who was supposedly trained to work on them-tried 3 times to fix the leak-finally gave up on it. i told my boy to take it to a regular dealer-cause he was supposed to have the extended warranty by buying extra oil at the time(2cyle oil in the gas) but after the let down at what i thought was a good dealer-kinda gave him the brush off-which i think came from him buying it at the napa store-which is since closed here locally. nice saw-runs good-just leaks bar oil out while sitting in the case.

i would imginae it would take a new bar oil case on the saw to fix the leak? the one place told him they had a bad run of them like his? ever hear of something like that? can u post the name of the dealer u spoke off? maybe i could call him-and make arrangements to carry it out to them later this summer. would be nice to get my saw back in my garage. thanks.
    The oil pump/check valve is faulty, nothing wrong with the bar. When the check valve sticks or gets dirty the oil gravity drains out of the saw. Not common, but not uncommon. You need a better saw tech. What model is it? If it is a small saw, 170/180/210/250, the oil line could be leaking.
    Last edited by Nuke; 06-14-2018 at 05:14 AM.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    Jim - I sent you a PM with the details.

Brian

BigJim55 and Fozsey like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PikeCoGreenTractorMan For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (06-14-2018)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,641 Posts
    Big Jim has your son taken his Stihl to Lenords

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0ge...yu8XbD9MJQU34-

If not try them , have dealt with them several times over the years .
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    The oil pump/check valve is faulty, nothing wrong with the bar. When the check valve sticks or gets dirty the oil gravity drains out of the saw. Not common, but not uncommon. You need a better saw tech. What model is it? If it is a small saw, 170/180/210/250, the oil line could be leaking.
    even though he's had it for over 5or 6 yrs-all i know is it's a pretty big one-terrible of me -huh i think its something like maybe a 144 something. can't think of the right word right now. i haven't gotten involved before because he bought it the napa store-i warned him that something like that might happen-that the parts counter fellas wouldn't know what or how to fix something serious.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeCoGreenTractorMan View Post
    Jim - I sent you a PM with the details.

Brian
    thank u--we have a funeral to attend to today and evening. boy is working the odd shift this week-so i'll get the size of saw off him this weekend -before he starts on new work week. he's been doing 7 day's now since he started his new welding job. i told him to work while he can.

Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Big Jim has your son taken his Stihl to Lenords

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0ge...yu8XbD9MJQU34-

If not try them , have dealt with them several times over the years .
    nope-i have seen or heard of them over the yrs, but never been to them. thanks ET.
    Fozsey likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    even though he's had it for over 5or 6 yrs-all i know is it's a pretty big one-terrible of me -huh i think its something like maybe a 144 something.
    Possibly a 441. That is about a medium saw, but heavy for its displacement (71cc). I own one and she no leaky, and none of the three other Stihl saws I have owned leaked.
    I agree with the others, any COMPETENT technician (or hillbilly such as myself) should be able to figure it out pretty quick.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast