Trimmer to tiller conversion (Echo)
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By firemachine69
  • 2 Post By mjncad
  • 1 Post By firemachine69

Thread: Trimmer to tiller conversion (Echo)

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks

Trimmer to tiller conversion (Echo)

So I couldn't pass up my dealer's offer to take a new old-stock tiller conversion for my Echo SRM-225u. It retails for $200CAD. I picked it up for $100CAD, so about $70USD. So far I'm reasonably satisfied with it. Pictured beside my new PAS2620 running .105 line. The 2620 is a beast for its weight.

Last edited by firemachine69; 06-15-2018 at 09:16 PM.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks
    I had one of those tillers for my Deere branded trimmer. It worked better than I expected. Unfortunately it wouln't fit the Echo trimmer that replaced the Deere that puked after 9-years of average use.

Back then the Deere trimmer had 1" tubing for the shaft, and the Echo uses 24mm or 25mm tubing that is off just enough to prevent interchanging accessories.
    BigJim55 and firemachine69 like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    I had one of those tillers for my Deere branded trimmer. It worked better than I expected. Unfortunately it wouln't fit the Echo trimmer that replaced the Deere that puked after 9-years of average use.

Back then the Deere trimmer had 1" tubing for the shaft, and the Echo uses 24mm or 25mm tubing that is off just enough to prevent interchanging accessories.

I considered the PAS tiller attachment, but it sells for $260 here. With taxes it comes up to $300. Hard to pass up the same utility for a third of the price, considering that trimmer now largely sits unused. One thing I did notice was that the old "standard" straight-shaft heads seem to be the new "high torque" heads. I have a suspicion that the new "high torque" PAS trimmer would work with the tiller attachment I just bought, but I wasn't going to find out considering it retails for $219...

My "old" (four years, maybe) SRM-225u seems to be better quality than the current generation. I wasn't impressed that the new heads seem to have thinner material thickness on the outside, nor that they canted the screw/grease hole 90 degrees so they are now "incompatible" with stuff like the old-stock tiller head I just purchased. It seems like they took a page out of Deere's (inaccurate) manual...
    Last edited by firemachine69; 06-16-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    mjncad likes this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements