New Fuel Jugs for Gas and Diesel
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: New Fuel Jugs for Gas and Diesel

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,470 Posts

New Fuel Jugs for Gas and Diesel

I have been struggling with a variety of old fuel gas cans, with a hodge podge of various caps, nozzles and spouts. All of my old cans have one thing in common, I don't have two that are the same and virtually all of the pieces on the old fuel gas cans are unique to the container they are on.

I just got in 4 of these yellow diesel jugs, which are 5 gallons each and I also got in 4 of these in red for the gasoline storage. In fact, today I spent $160 filling gas cans alone. I didn't fill the diesel fuel at the pumps yet as I had just gotten diesel last week, so I still have the 22 gallons of diesel on hand.

These jugs are very sturdy, much more so than any of the plastic fuel jugs of all other shapes and sizes.

These are just about 10" square on the base of the jug and the jugs are 20 1/2" tall. They have very heavy duty threaded cap and a nice vent on the top of the jug by the handle.

The opening on these jugs permits the fuel to pour into a funnel very easy without the splashing. Also, I ordered just one of the filler hoses for use with the diesel jugs as I always run my gas through a fine brass screened funnel which catches any debris or contaminant.

You can get an optional clear hose for the caps on these jugs for filling the equipment. I plan to use this for my diesel jugs as I can't use the funnel on my tractor due to the configuration of the fuel filler neck and area with the cab on. So, having the screen in the fuel filler hose is nice to catch any contaminants.

These jugs sell for (4) of the 5 gallon fuel jugs, either red or yellow (blue, clear, white, green, and other colors as well......) a set of 4 of any color jugs with the caps and NOT with the plastic filler hose sells for $99 plus tax on Amazon . I checked Summitt and Jeg's and they were about $31 to $33 each, where as through Amazon, with the free shipping, they came to $25 (rounded) each.

Here is the link to purchase these in red, without the plastic pour hose. You can change the actual Jug color and get a wide choice of these for this price. I ordered them on Monday, they arrived today with the holiday.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Gallon-Square-Racing-Utility/dp/B00AVA3BBE/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1530827602&sr=8-16&keywords=5+gallon+fuel+jug

You can order these with the plastic pour spouts on each filler cap, and that brings the cost up on each jug. Since I only wanted the one plastic spout, I ordered it separately for roughly another $9. I would prefer to keep the screw on caps without the plastic filler hose when the gas or diesel is being stored. I can add the cap with the plastic spout if I need to by simply screwing the cap onto the appropriate jug.

Excellent quality, very heavy plastic, the sides of the jug don't bow with the fuel like they do in most of the other fuel containers (except my old 6 gallon Diesel Fuel Jugs with the plastic Pour Spouts, which also are much thicker than most other newer fuel jugs.

So, if you are looking for a way to transport and store fuel and you don't want to have a fuel caddy, these jugs are a great option.

I have used these same fuel jugs for years with my Alcohol Fuel for racing with great success and NO Problems of any kinds, ever.

Desire for more storage capacity led to this purchase
    My diesel fuel is well contained. I have (2) 6 gallon plastic yellow jugs with excellent old style plastic pour spouts (the old style that are no longer sold) and (2) 5 gallon newer yellow plastic jugs that I use to hold the fuel until I transfer it into one of the old jugs with the plastic pour spouts. So, my diesel fuel needs haven't been an issue, other than I would like more capacity so in the winter during storms, I have at least 25 gallons of spare fuel on hand in the event of a bad storm. We had a storm this winter which resulted in me plowing all of the plow driveways a total of 3 times in that 24 hour period. So, I spent a total of about 15 to 16 hours plowing snow in the 24 hour period, which with my tractor means that in the 15 to 16 hours of plowing, I consumed 15 to 16 hours of diesel fuel as my tractor without the PTO running in the winter weather consumes about a gallon of diesel per hour.

Previously, I only had diesel capacity of 22 gallons and during that storm, I got down to my last tank of fuel. I saw the storm predicted and went out and got all the fuel cans full plus I took a 5 gallon gas can and put diesel in it that one time. I didn't like having diesel fuel in the gas can so I used that one first, to pour into the tractor, to make sure the diesel went into the tractor and I returned the gas can to the gas use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180705_145049790_TOP.jpg   IMG_20180705_145222815_TOP.jpg   IMG_20180705_145157466_TOP.jpg   IMG_20180705_144921392.jpg   IMG_20180705_145131911.jpg  

Last edited by SulleyBear; 07-05-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added photo
    mjncad, DRobinson, Tomfive and 9 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

lindsey97 (07-05-2018), nastorino (07-07-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    Sulleybear once you go there you can never go back. I got 4 similar cans out of a 10’ pile last year. I had known them well before, but wish I took more.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Nice cans!

Seriously, those look like they take the same big screw on caps as the Summit Racing cans. I have a hunch those types of caps have become somewhat of a standard.

Another nice feature to the taller cans in they are easy to fill at the pump since you don't have to bend over like you are tying your shoes - which means you can still read the pump's LCD screen while filling.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    They come in white/translucent too. The caps should interchange vp to summit.

Those have been regular racing cans since before 1990, and long before the epa bs no spilling if you can’t pour anything specials. I had a 04 skidoo rev 800 with 9.9 gallon tank and 6-10 mpg. I was going for a riding weekend where stations may be 100 miles apart. February after the no spill tanks came out I couldn’t find a legal or illegal extra 3.5 tank that fit behind the seat. I stopped at 2 dealers and offered to drop a Benjamin if they dropped a now prohibited tank out the back door. No dice. A couple ratchet straps and a nice pre ban 2 gallon can did the job. I never did buy a new style oem can.
    BigJim55, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    I had a 04 skidoo rev 800 with 9.9 gallon tank and 6-10 mpg. I was going for a riding weekend where stations may be 100 miles apart. February after the no spill tanks came out I couldn’t find a legal or illegal extra 3.5 tank that fit behind the seat. I stopped at 2 dealers and offered to drop a Benjamin if they dropped a now prohibited tank out the back door. No dice. A couple ratchet straps and a nice pre ban 2 gallon can did the job. I never did buy a new style oem can.
    You should have told them you wanted a container for water. :-)
    rydplrs, BigJim55, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:51 AM
    Thanks
    Very nice write up on these. Ive looked at them several times in the past, and more recently as Ive decided I want to have more than 5 gallons of diesel on hand at any given time, which I cant right now without adding more cans. Trouble is, most of them dont store well together. These should, as will the Scepter military fuel cans, which Id love to have, but cant find anywhere near $25 each. Seems like I might just be adding some of these to the garage.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You should have told them you wanted a container for water. :-)
    They both said they didn’t have any or they would have simply done it cash off register. Good thought though.

Not to be overdramatizing it, but they knew on a bad day that can mean life or death. The stations that are 100 miles apart probably best are described as old west trading posts. The only thing around in the wilderness. Many only can get fuel delivery in summer. They can be 100 miles from a plowed road. The small tank bad mileage combination was my only complaint about that rocket ship on rails.
    BigJim55, Robnik, Fozsey and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,470 Posts
    The caps are a standard as I have two other "brands" of these jugs for the racing fuel and the caps are all the same. I used these same style jugs for my 800 MXZ-X and other high performance sleds. The square design makes them transport very well and even in the trailer, they are easy to properly secure to the wall and floor during transit.

We always used the clear jugs for my alcohol fuel (actually methanol) for racing as we "treated" the fuel with a top lubricant and a scenting agent, to make the fuel less "caustic" when it burns and you are around it. I always use the strawberry scent for the racing fuel, as it also tints the fuel red and makes it a little easier to see.

The alcohol actually burns clear and the flames are very hard to see. Some of you may recall at Indy where they have had some fires over the years with fuel fillers and even the drivers when fuel was splashed on them the way Indy refuels the race cars with that large overhead hose system. If you douse a rag in the racing alcohol and then light it on fire, the flames are nearly invisible and not "blue" like many "gasoline" fuel flames. It's very hard to extinguish a methanol fire as the victim feels the heat but others usually can't see the flames.

The alcohol also has a tremendous cooling affect on the engine. In the 5 seconds it took me to travel the 1/4 mile, the car would burn as much as 4 gallons of fuel and the temp at the finish line would be as much as 30 degrees cooler than the starting line, after the burn out. Methanol is extremely consistent fuel and it doesn't vary in performance as much as other racing fuels. Air density is important and cooler temps make more horsepower, so when we were big money bracket racing, you set your elapsed time dial in based upon all of the air issues of temp, density, barometric pressure, humidity, and then track conditions and even right lane / left lane differentials in traction.

And then when you race from the daytime into the dark, your eye's perception of the starting line "Christmas tree" lights becomes more sensitive so you actually see the light sooner, which means you have to slow your car's response to the launch because otherwise, you can red light and be disqualified. In most of those races when you get to the serious money rounds, the average amount of time difference between winning and losing was about 12/1,000ths of a second in the big money races and sometimes, even 1 /10,000th of a second. So all of the data and input is really important.
    rydplrs, Robnik, Fozsey and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    My son brought home a gas can repair kit. It came with 2 vents. Half inch hole and a little grunting and I have 2 cans that vent. I think I'm doing more to save the environment by not spilling gas all over or speeding 10 minutes to pour a gallon of gas and letting all those fumes escape. Maybe I'm just an outlaw?
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I just got in 4 of these yellow diesel jugs
    Have 2 of same jug. Got them when we bought the 1025r at the JD dealer a couple of years ago. Stored outside & have held up well.
    SulleyBear, Fozsey and kylew like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast