Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Space Saving Sliding Compound Miter Saw

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks

Space Saving Sliding Compound Miter Saw

I like my DeWalt miter saw, what I don't like is how much space it takes up behind it. I want to build a miter station/bench for it along the wall, but I don't want it to take up half of the barn, it's got to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180616_215222 (1).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	639898

I'm not totally sure I need a slider, but for the sake of this post, let's say i do. Does anyone have any experience with one of the saws that doesn't take up so much space to the rear?

Here's a Bosch:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-15...10GD/204668975

Delta:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-10...2240/303333588

Festool:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Festool-561...-no-redirect=1

I threw in the Festool, but it's a no go due to price. Any experience with one of these and would one be better than the other? I want to build something like this:

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	639900

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks
    Last I looked the Bosch gets highest ratings. It's the one I plan to get once my Dewalt decides on retirement.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 1025R with FEL and 60" snow plow (currently in storage because the ATV is much faster and lots of fun in the snow!) and engine block heater.
    My filled tires and ballast box give me great ground hugging capabilities and F1 type performance.
    Artillian forks, Artillian grapple and iMatch quick hitch make light work of the perpetual woods clearing that I'm always working at.
    Just added Edge Tamers, Kenny's Bolt On Hooks, and more to come soon.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I like my DeWalt miter saw, what I don't like is how much space it takes up behind it. I want to build a miter station/bench for it along the wall, but I don't want it to take up half of the barn, it's got to go.

Name:	20180616_215222 (1).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	639898

I'm not totally sure I need a slider, but for the sake of this post, let's say i do. Does anyone have any experience with one of the saws that doesn't take up so much space to the rear?

Here's a Bosch:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-15...10GD/204668975

Delta:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-10...2240/303333588

Festool:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Festool-561...-no-redirect=1

I threw in the Festool, but it's a no go due to price. Any experience with one of these and would one be better than the other? I want to build something like this:

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	639900

The Bosch is by far the best sliding saw from a space standpoint. I looked at them but wasn't as concerned with the space for my miter saw. I based my decision on the Jay Bates Miter Station on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLR4Z5y7QY. I am still finishing my workstation but absolutely love it.
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    dewalt makes one of the best miter saws on the market. I don’t think you’ll be happy with a lesser saw. I get to use many different tools at work. The dewalt sliding miter saw is my favorite over any other brand I have used.
    glc, Gizmo2, Bubber and 3 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I finally decided on this configuration, with the Dewalt at an angle. The shop vac and sawdust collection system is behind the deepest space, but easy to get to when necessary by sliding the left extension arm into the stand. Tools I rarely use hang there also. On the right side are my clamps - easy to reach. The stand is angled so that a long board can extend into the doorway to the right, so I can cut 16 foot boards when I need to.

Name:	saw.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	639904
    glc, Bubber and OxPath like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,638 Posts
    When I replaced my 10" miter saw , looked at sliding 12" and I just couldn't see the reason for buying a slider . Yes , I know there are times but so far going from a 10" to 12" been happy with the Hitachi .
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Thanks
    You tossed it in so I'll comment.
    I have the Festool.

I had to buy a electric sander at one point, the pneumatic ones required more air than was available at a jobsite.
    I was sanding/polishing stone inside so I wanted to minimize the dust. So I bought the Festool vac and an electric sander.
    BEST vac I have ever had, hepa filter, ZERO dust. My old shop vacs sucked up the dust but when you looked at the vac it looked like half of it was getting blown back out in to the room. Plus they never had half of the suction. My wife got a hold of the vac, she loves it, I have to fight her to get it back in my shop. Lots of suction and no dust plus it attaches to the sanders and other tools. The sander has been great, I've used it to polish stone, sand wood, rusty metal all sorts of stuff. Its great to be able to sand and not fight to see thru dust clouds.

Yes its expensive, all their stuff is.

BUT all there stuff is really a step above all the other ones.

At a point I had to get a different miter saw. I had an old Delta. It was very limited on what it could cut size wise and what else it could do.
    I didn't want to spend the money on the Festool. In the end I did and I'm glad I did. Its a great tool.

Look at ALL the features and advantages, there is a difference besides the price alone.

When buying tools that you'll be using for the rest of your life and be able to hand down to your kids price should not be the deciding factor.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks
    The Bosch saws are some of the best made.
    If I recall, they were one of the first to make their saw in that configuration.
    I cant justify the cost for the very little I do with a miter saw, but if ever I get a new one, it will be a Bosch without a doubt. I honestly dont think anyone does it better than they do. Their table saws are top notch too. They consistently rank at the top or near it in every test Ive ever seen over the years.

Save a bit of money from the others, get the Bosch and a Diablo blade (or several) and call it a day.

By the way, that Festool saws rails look similar to what Bosch tried initially for their space saving design before this latest one. I believe they used a stacked rail though, two sections of rail that slid out one on top of the other. It worked, but the new system is a lot more solid.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 07-23-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    mjncad, Bubber and OxPath like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    The Bosch and Delta 12" sliders have about the same reviews, but the Delta is newer, so there are fewer of them. The Festool is out of my set budget.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-120-V...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://smile.amazon.com/Delta-26-22...ct_top?ie=UTF8

The Bosch is $112 more and is probably worth it.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Going to try to get my hands on some tomorrow.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    dewalt makes one of the best miter saws on the market. I don’t think you’ll be happy with a lesser saw. I get to use many different tools at work. The dewalt sliding miter saw is my favorite over any other brand I have used.

I've used both the Dewalt and I own the Bosch 12" slider.

Yeah, the Dewalt can't hold a candle to the Bosch, especially for me as a lefty.
    Bubber, mark02tj and JD4044M like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast