• 1 Post By kylew
  • 1 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: Dewalt drill chuck

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks

Dewalt drill chuck

I bit on a Dewalt combination set at TSC a couple of months ago. It's a 20v set and contained a drill/driver and screw driver plus batteries and charger. Drill has good power, batteries are good but last week I needed to use the drill and the chuck is making a grinding noise when tightening on a drill bit. I flipped the speed switch, opened and shut the chuck and the noise remained.

I contacted Dewalt and got back a standard reply of send it to the repair center which I will do. I am a little hacked though at a bad chuck on basically a brand new drill. I've worn out chucks and had to replace them but never had a defective one right out of the box.

Anyone else have a problem with a Dewalt chuck?

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Thanks
    Might be helpful to have a video of it. Grinding to one might be something else to someone else. Lots of subjective stuff there that a video removes.

I guess what Im wondering is, is this the ratchet tightening down at the end of its travel, which is normal, or is it a constant grinding noise?
    Im not saying it is or isnt, but I know when I bought my M18 FUEL drill a while back, I was somewhat surprised by that noise as the chuck tightened. In that particular noises case, its normal. And it doesnt do it all the time while the drill is operating, just at the very end of the tightening of the chuck.

One other thing, whats TSCs return policy? Sometimes they will exchange a product for a good amount of time if you have the receipt.

Another thing, Dewalt should be paying for you to send it in.
    Treefarmer, Robnik and bvbearcat like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

Intermittent

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Might be helpful to have a video of it. Grinding to one might be something else to someone else. Lots of subjective stuff there that a video removes.

I guess what Im wondering is, is this the ratchet tightening down at the end of its travel, which is normal, or is it a constant grinding noise?
    Im not saying it is or isnt, but I know when I bought my M18 FUEL drill a while back, I was somewhat surprised by that noise as the chuck tightened. In that particular noises case, its normal. And it doesnt do it all the time while the drill is operating, just at the very end of the tightening of the chuck.

One other thing, whats TSCs return policy? Sometimes they will exchange a product for a good amount of time if you have the receipt.

Another thing, Dewalt should be paying for you to send it in.
    It doesn't always make the noise when tightening the chuck. It didn't make the noise at all initially but started after a month or so and I've really not used the drill that much- only a few times.

TSC has a 30 day policy. I may or may not be able to find the receipt. I suspect there may be a bit of machining debris left inside the chuck that moves from a innocuous location to where it makes noise but that's just a guess. Based on some other on line posts, I think it may be a known issue.

Treefarmer
    Robnik likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Thanks
    Any chance the you got dirt or chips in the chuck ? This can happen when drilling overhead.
    Treefarmer and Robnik like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Thanks
    Most of the keyless 'Jacobs' chucks used by tool manufactures aren't made by the tool manufacture, unless this has changed in the last couple years, so I wouldn't bash Dewalt. I bought the Milwaukee M18 Fuel kit in 2014 and blew the chuck out twice within 2 yrs. I don't blame Milwaukee for that. Plus the drill had a 5 yr warrenty and was easy to send in for repair. Both times I shipped it out on Monday and had it back that Friday.

Just saying.
    Treefarmer likes this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

Nope, no overhead drilling

Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    Any chance the you got dirt or chips in the chuck ? This can happen when drilling overhead.
    Nope, I've really done very little with the drill but nothing overhead. It's always possible that something got in the chuck but it's stored in the bag it came in and wasn't used much.

Treefarmer
    wildbranch2007 likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements