Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New Generac EFI Portable Generator XT8000EFI

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks

New Generac EFI Portable Generator XT8000EFI

So summer time is upon us here in New England which means fall is just around the corner and then winter again. Last year I was lucky enough to only lose power twice and that was on warm fall days and I had no fear of pipes freezing. At my current home all our power comes in from the poles, nothing is under ground which leaves us very susceptible to loss of power due to downed trees. Last year the same tree that wiped out the lines to a few homes including mine clipped my new truck as well. While the ever looming plan of selling my home and acquiring a new one hopefully before fall, the planner/prepper/pessimist in me thinks I should still call an electrician and get the house wired up for a portable none the less. I've had it quotes a few times and I'm looking at $1k for the install by the electrician.

Over the last couple years after buying my first home, as I steadily acquire additional tools I try to make them as user friendly as possible and as reliable as possible. While I could certainly figure out how to rebuild the carb the EFI on my snowblower was quite nice as it isn't finicky about fuel or climate or temps etc etc. So with that in mind and the looming thought of losing power I stumbled upon the Generac site today. Low and behold I found they released a portable generator that's in the 8k range that has EFI...and it's not astronomically over priced.

Has anyone seen, looked into, or purchased one of these Generic XT8000EFI SKU# 7162 ?

Generac Power Systems - Best Portable and Inverter Generators

It's a pretty nice looking machine and has a lot of potential. MSRP on it is $1300. Most places don't carry it yet including electricgeneratorsdirect.com and they carry everything. The only place I found it that beat the MSRP was Costco, for $999. That's the same price as what I was interested in paying for the older GP8000E.

https://www.costco.com/Generac-XT800...100408954.html

What do you guys think? Any feedback or experience yet?
    GREENVA and jdmich like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    Your first link threw me a bit. From the link, I thought this generator was an "inverter" generator for $1300 and I was giving serious consideration to replacing my existing generator. But, when I looked at the spec sheet it turns out it's not an inverter.

I have a 7500 watt Generac that looks about like yours. I've only had to use it a couple of times, but it fires right up when I need it. I do have to trickle charge the battery from time to time. (Your post reminds me that I need to change the oil before winter!) Generac is one of "the names" in generators so it would be hard to go wrong with one.

My only concern with the one that you posted is the Electronic Fuel Injection. Those with more mechanical knowledge than me can chime in on the reliability of EFI on a single cylinder engine. I'm old enough that all of my experience with single cylinder engines is with carburetors. Is EFI just one more thing that might go wrong? Of course, with EFI you won't have to worry about the carb gumming up from ethanol, but will the injector(s) gum up? Again, better mechanics than I can jump in to answer this.

$1000 might be just a bit on the high side to tie in the generator to your box. If memory serves, my install was more in the $500-750 range (parts and labor) about 5 years ago. That included the lock out switch on my panel, moving all of the breakers on the right side of the panel down a couple of slots, and replacing a couple of the single breakers with double breakers due to the lost space. It also included the power cord to attach the generator to the house. This was done by an actual electrical contractor (with 20 or so electricians on staff) and not by some guy doing work on the side. Of course, demand with the economy booming right now has probably raised electrician's pay, so the $1000 might be more reflective of today's market. Another factor could include the brand of your breaker panel.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Generac has always been notorious for not self charging the battery while the generator is running. I noticed on this brochure it says "self charging while in use" but then on the spec sheet it says "battery wall charger adapter included".

So does it charge the battery or not?

Unfortunately Generac does not list the manual for the EFI model on their website which I find very strange.
    mark02tj likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    $1000 might be just a bit on the high side to tie in the generator to your box. If memory serves, my install was more in the $500-750 range (parts and labor) about 5 years ago. That included the lock out switch on my panel, moving all of the breakers on the right side of the panel down a couple of slots, and replacing a couple of the single breakers with double breakers due to the lost space. It also included the power cord to attach the generator to the house. This was done by an actual electrical contractor (with 20 or so electricians on staff) and not by some guy doing work on the side. Of course, demand with the economy booming right now has probably raised electrician's pay, so the $1000 might be more reflective of today's market. Another factor could include the brand of your breaker panel.
    Same here... it's been about 5 years or so but it was $500 to install the interlock kit, mount the new breaker, install a weather proof generator plug outside, and provide a 20-foot power cable. The price also included the interlock itself which I believe was around $100.

I have a Honda EU6500i inverter generator and I know Honda has since come out with a EU7000i EFI version. I run non-Ethanol fuel to minimize any carb issues.
    Last edited by jgayman; 07-26-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Generac has always been notorious for not self charging the battery while the generator is running. I noticed on this brochure it says "self charging while in use" but then on the spec sheet it says "battery wall charger adapter included".

Unfortunately Generac does not list the manual for the EFI model on their website which I find very strange.
    It charges the battery while running, but obviously can't charge the battery while it's not running. The "battery wall charger adapter" is to plug in the battery to keep it charged for those many months that most homeowners (myself included) are going to let their generator sit in between using it.

(I do try to start mine and let it run every few months - just in case. )
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Make sure you read a bunch of reviews before you buy. Generac has had some big problems with some models.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It charges the battery while running, but obviously can't charge the battery while it's not running. The "battery wall charger adapter" is to plug in the battery to keep it charged for those many months that most homeowners (myself included) are going to let their generator sit in between using it.

OK... that makes sense. Given that charging the battery is new for them they could be a little clearer. Hopefully what they provide is a battery maintainer.

I do the same thing. I keep a battery tender on at all times and I give mine a run every 3 months during the summer and every month during winter.
    coaltrain and Rogero246 like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    Your first link threw me a bit. From the link, I thought this generator was an "inverter" generator for $1300 and I was giving serious consideration to replacing my existing generator. But, when I looked at the spec sheet it turns out it's not an inverter.

I have a 7500 watt Generac that looks about like yours. I've only had to use it a couple of times, but it fires right up when I need it. I do have to trickle charge the battery from time to time. (Your post reminds me that I need to change the oil before winter!) Generac is one of "the names" in generators so it would be hard to go wrong with one.

My only concern with the one that you posted is the Electronic Fuel Injection. Those with more mechanical knowledge than me can chime in on the reliability of EFI on a single cylinder engine. I'm old enough that all of my experience with single cylinder engines is with carburetors. Is EFI just one more thing that might go wrong? Of course, with EFI you won't have to worry about the carb gumming up from ethanol, but will the injector(s) gum up? Again, better mechanics than I can jump in to answer this.

You're correct it's not an inverter style like the Honda...otherwise the price skyrockets LOL. The only reason I prefer the EFI is because it can adapt better to environmental changes and also because ethanol free fuel isn't local by any means. My FIL and I go up to VT (4hrs) to pick up jugs of ethanol free fuel to get us through the winter and partly into spring. I had a couple guys provide me with quotes, all with multiple electricians on staff. Each one was around the 1k figure just to wire up the panel and a 30' 30A cord. I think they need to clean up the panel a little in order to get their switch tied into the panel.

Id imagine it recharges during operation. Should you not run it in awhile and leave it storage you can plug it into the wall to maintain a charge on the battery. The efi module, if its anything like the one on my ariens snowblower, comes preprogrammed and needs to always have a minimal charge otherwise it forgets the programming and runs like crap.

Same here... it's been about 5 years or so but it was $500 to install the interlock kit, mount the new breaker, install a weather proof generator plug outside, and provide a 20-foot power cable. The price also included the interlock itself which I believe was around $100.

I have a Honda EU6500i inverter generator and I know Honda has since come out with a EU7000i EFI version. I run non-Ethanol fuel to minimize any carb issues.
    Sounds like a much better install price. I wonder if they're beginning to jack up the prices as the demand increases. Can't entirely blame them, they have a living to make too.

That's what I assumed. Thanks for confirming it.

Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    Make sure you read a bunch of reviews before you buy. Generac has had some big problems with some models.
    New model and no reviews yet. It's barely released. Only place I can see it for sale is at Costco and there's about 40 reviews. I don't really enjoy reading the reviews of random folk of which many have little to no experience with engines, and equipment. Hell if it was up to them the thing would drive itself out of the garage and plug itself in

OK... that makes sense. Given that charging the battery is new for them they could be a little clearer. Hopefully what they provide is a battery maintainer.

I do the same thing. I keep a battery tender on at all times and I give mine a run every 3 months during the summer and every month during winter.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    It is funny. I was looking at the exact same unit yesterday after the flooding issues we have had here. I have been looking at the one from Lowes here: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-XT-...ngine/50013596
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Looks nice, but i personally would want a dual fuel.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements