Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Small engine fuel shutoff - never had this happen before

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks

Small engine fuel shutoff - never had this happen before

I got a County Line 25 ton log splitter with the Kohler 6.5 hp engine. It's got less than 5 hours on it so far. I went to start it tonight and it basically wouldn't turn over. To make a long story short, I did not shut the gas off and over the last month since I used it, it siphoned the fuel out of the tank and filled the cylinder with fuel which then made it's way to the oil. I pulled the oil plug and it ran out.

What a mess. I'm going to change the oil tomorrow and check the carb and get it going again. Now I know to shut the gas off after I'm done with it.

Has anybody ever had this happen? This is a first for me. Should this happen, or is something wrong with it?
    Last edited by Bubber; 07-26-2018 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
    pappa likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    12-06-2019 @ 08:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I got a County Line 25 ton log splitter with the Kohler 6.5 hp engine. It's got less than 5 hours on it so far. I went to start it tonight and it basically wouldn't turn over. To make a long story short, I did not shut the gas off and over the last month since I used it, it siphoned the fuel out of the tank and filled the cylinder with fuel which then made it's way to the oil. I pulled the oil plug and it ran out.

What a mess. I'm going to change the oil tomorrow and check the carb and get it going again. Now I know to shut the gas off after I'm done with it.

Has anybody ever had this happen? This is a first for me. Should this happen, or is something wrong with it?
    Sounds like the needle valve in the carb is not seating or the float which controls the needle valve seating is set wrong or got hung up.

Already had a little sliver of rubber from the fuel hose get hung up between the needle valve tip and seat holding the valve from
    from seating all the way.
    Gasoline was dripping from the air filter assembly.

Was an 11 HP Briggs.
    Gizmo2, Tomfive, Bubber and 2 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Thanks
    My new Briggs and Stratton generator did that. It probably had less than two hours and I put it on one of the pallet racks and I kept smelling gas back in that area. It filled up the crankcase and I forget where it started dripping out from but that was the smell. I always shut the valve off now but I suspect it was leaking by the float valve in the carburetor and then down through the intake. Changed the oil and have shut off the valve off everytime since. I was glad it didn’t damage the seals and it has been fine for a few years.
    Gizmo2, Bubber, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,301 Posts
    It happens more often than you think.
    Gizmo2, Bubber, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    12-06-2019 @ 08:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Yup, that's why I put quarter turn ball valves on both my Snapper's Briggs, quick and slick to close after every use.
    My normal procedure is to pull up to my shop, close the valve and let the engine fast idle till it stops.

Not good to have gasoline dripping and fumes everywhere in my shop.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Bubber and 6 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 PM
    Thanks
    My Briggs generator did this too.
    I put in a shut off as well.

This reminds me I need to change the oil and see if I can track down the oil leak its got.

It also reminds me that I was going to look into converting it to propane.
    Gizmo2, Bubber, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    New hampshire,"The Granite State": where we grow rocks
    Thanks
    Reminds me of a sightly different situation. About 45 yrs ago I bought a used DAVID BRADLEY chain saw with 24" bar and new chain for very small money. Older gentleman couldn't pick it up to use anymore. It worked like a charm but was HEAVY with, I think, a 5 hp engine. Hadn't used it in a while, and BIL borrowed it. Called me up next day to say that he couldn't get it started. Went over to his place and had same problem. Emptied gas tank and put in fresh fuel still no go. Apologized for not making sure it was working and brought it home figuring carb must be blocked. Started cleaning it off before disassembly and saw metal plate tack welded to saw. Washed it off and read it. "OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS Step one: OPEN FUEL PETCOCK" did that, 2pulls, started rightup. Moral of story
    "IF ALL ELSE FAILS READ INSTRUCTIONS"
    Gizmo2, Tomfive, Bubber and 4 others like this.
    Roger O
    1025R SCUT
    120R LOADER
    260B BACKHOE
    54D MMM w/ AUTO CONNECT

WISHLIST
    I WANT IT ALL

SSG US army 6yr 3mo 10d
    Work hard, retire, work harder

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks everybody. This was an odd thing to me.

I finally ordered an oil sucker thing. The engine sits on a plate, so just pulling the plug would make a colossal mess. I guess I'll suck what I can out and then pull the plug to get any leftovers.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    Thanks everybody. This was an odd thing to me.

I finally ordered an oil sucker thing. The engine sits on a plate, so just pulling the plug would make a colossal mess. I guess I'll suck what I can out and then pull the plug to get any leftovers.
    While you have the plug out and are dealing with this mess, consider extending that drain out past the plate. The plugs are often standard NPT plugs and if room permits can often be extended. I have used a small piece of pipe and then used a pipe cap instead of a plug to close it up. It will make future oil changes a whole lot more pleasant.

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ljnelson109 For This Useful Post:

Bubber (07-27-2018), kylew (07-27-2018)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Yep
    Always use the shut off if it has one.
    Bubber, Old Cajun and Herminator like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast