Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Rotary Laser Levels

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Rotary Laser Levels

Anyone have experience with or own a self leveling rotary laser level that you would recommend? I have several projects coming up where I am in need of a laser level for grading and drainage. Have been looking online and YouTube but nothing standouts. I like the Dewalt unit but at almost $1,400 not sure I will get the value out of it for what I need, plus I am not trying to break the bank. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:46 AM
    Thanks
    I've owned a Johnson self leveling laser level for about 5 years now and have absolutely loved it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ME77KCI...&pd_rd_w=dQESi

That is the current version of the one I have on Amazon. I bought mine at home depot for about the same price 5 years ago. When I bought it I needed it to install a septic system and had a hard time spending the money on it. I gotta say it has been one of the most helpful tools I have ever purchased. It has saved me countless hours of work and frustration on decks, foundations, a pool, shelves, painting you name it.

The more expensive units will get you a brighter laser that is easier to see outdoors. The laser detector that comes with the Johnson level works great tho even if you cant see the laser it can. You certainly can spend a lot of money on a contractor grade level but if this is for home use I would really look in to saving a grand and getting this one.
    GREENVA, RetiredDoc and Robnik like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CJadamec For This Useful Post:

GREENVA (07-27-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    I got the version prior to this one. My tripod and story pole don't fit in the case, but I think it's pretty much the same. Mine was $299 on clearance because this version came out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-1-000...Level/50290661

It's served me well. I'm no pro. I've used it for grading and all of that expected stuff, but it will also go vertical. I used to to help hand the lights in my shed for example.

That's about all I've got. I really only have experience with this particular one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

GREENVA (07-27-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 11:17 PM
    Thanks
    I recently bought the same one as referenced above by Cjadamec, only I spent the extra for the kit with the hard case. I'm about to add a garage on to the house and am planning on doing most everything myself. I did lots of research on laser levels and liked what I saw with this kit.
    RetiredDoc likes this.
    -> 2017 John Deere 1025R TLB
    -> Piranha Tooth Bar
    -> 4' County Line Tiller
    -> John Deere Ballast Box
    -> 5" County Line Scraper Blade
    -> County Line Carry-All
    -> County Line Boom Pole
    -> 36" Titan Forks
    -> Ken's Hooks
    -> HF Quick Hitch

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadOx View Post
    I recently bought the same one as referenced above by Cjadamec, only I spent the extra for the kit with the hard case. I'm about to add a garage on to the house and am planning on doing most everything myself. I did lots of research on laser levels and liked what I saw with this kit.
    Just ordered the same one except it is the 99-027K. Looking forward to putting it to work as soon as the new 2038R and 270B show up.
    MadOx likes this.
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks
    I too have been looking as Ive got a few projects coming up that will require it, and some planned in the not so near future that will likely need it too.

What Ive found is that you can spend a ton, but you dont have to.
    There are several places that sell refurbished Bosch units, or just clearance, that are under $400 for the whole set.

What I generally do when I find one that looks good (I do this with just about anything I buy) I go look for reviews and tests against other similar products.
    Without that, the reviews sometimes work fine too, but I find out a lot more about something when its the subject of an article or video.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,638 Posts
    If you have any pawn shops may find one setting on the shelf. BIL bought a tripod and transit lever for 1/3 the cost of a new one.
    Kennyd likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    I also have a Johnson one. I believe it's the next one up from the one shown. It comes in a plastic molded case and was about 500. I have used it outside and inside and it works perfectly and is accurate. I'm very happy with it.
    Ron
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I got the version prior to this one. My tripod and story pole don't fit in the case, but I think it's pretty much the same. Mine was $299 on clearance because this version came out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-1-000...Level/50290661

It's served me well. I'm no pro. I've used it for grading and all of that expected stuff, but it will also go vertical. I used to to help hand the lights in my shed for example.

That's about all I've got. I really only have experience with this particular one.
    I have no experience with laser levels except this Bosh. I bought it on line at some remanufactured place (possibly here - https://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recon...efault,sc.html) . For my needs this far, it's worked really well.
    etcallhome likes this.
    John Deere 1025R with FEL and 60" snow plow (currently in storage because the ATV is much faster and lots of fun in the snow!) and engine block heater.
    My filled tires and ballast box give me great ground hugging capabilities and F1 type performance.
    Artillian forks, Artillian grapple and iMatch quick hitch make light work of the perpetual woods clearing that I'm always working at.
    Just added Edge Tamers, Kenny's Bolt On Hooks, and more to come soon.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    I bought the TopCon RL-H4C. Essentially the same level is the RL-H5A (the later model being sold now). Auto-leveling, and it has a manual 'slope' setting which makes it a bit easier to manage slope for a ditch, pipe, etc.

I use it in several videos if you are interested.

Here is the most recent video usage:

..and here is the first time I used it:

Very few 'buttons'. Almost no setup. Just sit it on the tripod, turn it on, and wait for it to level itself.

My Amazon store for your convenience. It is in the 'general' section
    http://amazon.com/shop/tractortimewithtim

I find that it takes some 'thinking' to figure out how to 'apply' a laser level to the task at hand. It is somewhat mathematically challenging.
    However, it does what it says it does VERY well. I should probably make a video on how I use it for a couple different types of projects.

Tim
    Last edited by Tractor Tim; 07-27-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    etcallhome, GREENVA, Luiz and 1 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tractor Tim For This Useful Post:

GREENVA (07-27-2018)

16. Remove Advertisements