Going to look at a Troybuilt Super Tomahawk chipper/shredder?
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By mark02tj
  • 1 Post By JAllen
  • 2 Post By 356
  • 1 Post By ChrisR
  • 1 Post By Big
  • 2 Post By wildfox

Thread: Going to look at a Troybuilt Super Tomahawk chipper/shredder?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 05:31 AM
    Thanks

Going to look at a Troybuilt Super Tomahawk chipper/shredder?

It has a 8 hp gas engine. Supposedly works fine. Owner says one to two inch capacity on chipper.
    Also includes tow hitch to move machine around.
    Are these solid machines?
    Anything to be weary of?
    Any owners of this chipper/shredder on this forum?
    Looking for any pro's and con's.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Make sure that you actually run some material through it before you buy it. You might even want to take a few limbs from your own yard just to be sure to test it with what you'll be chipping.

I'm not a big fan of small chippers in general. The couple of times I've used one over the years I found that you have to really force the material through them and the material seems to want to kick back on you. Not much fun. I think there's a reason you see some many of these things for sale on Craigslist.

Find out why the guy is selling. If he's moving, that's one thing. But if he lives on a wooded lot and says he just doesn't use it, that should be a clue as to its effectiveness.

Good luck!
    Oscar Leroy, 356 and johncanfield like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Thanks

Try dry, hard wood before purchasing - otherwise rent a larger one.

Caveat - I had a different brand.

I was using mine to shred leaves (a lot of leaves) and chip small branches from my wooded lot. Looking back, I wish I'd saved my money.

My experience was:
    • Worked great for leaves and other soft material. Provided there were no sticks to clog it up, it would shred leaves as fast as I could feed it.
    • If it has a bag to collect the material, one will spend a lot of time emptying the bag. They fill pretty fast and it will clog up if the bag is full.
    • There's always branches that are larger than it will handle - one will need a different solution for those, like sawing them up for firewood.
    • One needed to be ready to spend a lot of time - they can't handle woody material very fast.
    • They will work at the rated size material if the material is wet and soft. Hard, dry material changes the capacity quickly.
    • They will beat your hands up if your not careful. The material has a tendency to bounce, vibrate and push back.
    • Small material (twigs) can clog it up and get wrapped around the flywheel.
    • On mine, there was a "grate" that forced the leafy material to not just blow through the system. Over time that bent and was less effective - no shredding at all. Check for internal bent parts.

I finally grew so frustrated with mine I stopped using it. Then it became hard to start. I finally gave it away on CL. Never regretted getting rid of it and wish I'd never bought it.

I now try other options which are working for me:
    • I pile up the brush in the woods and let it rot.
    • If the pile gets too big, I either rent a small industrial chipper or haul it to my local landfilll where they shred it an haul it away to make mulch/compost.
    • I wait until the tree company comes to work at my house and add it to the pile of material they are going to chip and blow into a big truck.
    • For leaves, I have a backpack blower. I either blow them into the woods or into piles, put them on a tarp and dump them in the woods where they can rot down. Lately, I've been using my MCS for about half the leaves and the flowers we cut back in the fall.
    356 likes this.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wildfox View Post
    It has a 8 hp gas engine. Supposedly works fine. Owner says one to two inch capacity on chipper.
    Also includes tow hitch to move machine around.
    Are these solid machines?
    Anything to be weary of?
    Any owners of this chipper/shredder on this forum?
    Looking for any pro's and con's.
    Thanks

DON'T. I have one. It belonged to my dad and when my folks moved into an apartment he gave it to me. Yes, they are solid. No, they donít really work. We spend more time trying to shape branches into the mouth than anything else. Rent a large capacity one if you need a chipper.

Iím simply verifying what JAllen has already noted about another brand.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Thanks
    I have owned a Troy-Bilt Super Tomahawk chipper for years. Mine can chip up to 4" limbs.

You state the one you are looking at is a 1" to 2" chipper. The shredder on this model is also smaller than mine.
    There are several size screens for the shredder. You need to check on the size screens it comes with. Small screens limit what you can do with it. Screens are some times are available on ebay, but you need to make sure they will fit the model you have.

JAllen makes some valid points.

Using the small chipper shredders is a slow process. Sometime it can be a very frustrating process, depending on what you are running through it.
    If you have a lot of cleaning up to do, having you own chipper shredder is very nice to have. One that cleanup is done, they will not get very much use.

What I have seen when looking at used chipper shredders is that almost all of them look like new or very close to new.
    My Troy Bilt is around 30 years old. It has not been used for at least 3 years & still looks almost new. It get used a lot when it gets used. It just does not get used a lot.
    356 likes this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

8. Top | #6
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Thanks
    I was just watching these yesterday.... maybe they can give you some ideas for wood processing

https://youtu.be/p9cKYTGaxN8
    mark02tj likes this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Thanks
    As someone whoís been browsing Craigslist looking for a chipper shredder my first thought is can you get parts? Iíve seen several Tomahawk chippers on Craigslist lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 05:31 AM
    Thanks
    Chipper purchased was made. Starts and runs great. No leaks, oil or gas. I did take a sampling of wood to be chipped. My largest was 2 inch branches. Handled them with ease. The sale of this chipper came with extra's. Three differently sized shredding grates, One plastic push tool for grinding, to keep hands clear. One of the additional features, comes with a all aluminum sturdy tow hitch, easily removable.
    I will change the oil and gas, even though it looks okay. Will replace the fuel filter. Air cleaner element looks new.
    This purchased was made to give it new ownership soon, to a family member. This type of shredder should fit their needs at this time. After this summer season has ended, they also will have their garden to clean up.
    Thanks for the feed back on this shredder. I also agree with the necessity of renting a larger machine when the size and volume dictate. I have done that on my own property. Certainly is quicker with the larger rental of a chipper. With convenience generally comes with a cost.

Thanks for the link of the wood processing. Interesting.

ChrisR and mark02tj like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Congrats on the purchase!!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com