Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Gasoline Fuel caddy?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks

Gasoline Fuel caddy?

With winter approaching I'm beginning to think about snowmobiling.

I live in the middle of nowhere. The one convenience store in "town" that sells fuel is going out of business. It was a 2 mile ride to get ethanol free gas. All the other options are far removed and depend on trail grooming and lake ice conditions.

I'd like to get a 30 gallon or so caddy that I can fill at a station about 10 miles away. That would provide enough fuel to fill up my 3 sleds completely at least once.

I was looking at this item. A number of online retailers sell it for about the same price - $189 or thereabouts. The reviews I have read suggest it is a piece of junk as it comes preloaded with grit in the tank and the pump dies after little use. The problem is that I have seen what looks like exactly the same item under different brands that sell for up to $800. I'm skeptical that, in this case, you're getting what you pay for. See, for example, this and this. They sure look identical to me, or at least damn close.

Anybody have a recommendation?

Al
    Last edited by AlKozak; 09-06-2018 at 11:37 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    I have a friend who has one like that and it's ok. He did replace the pump but he likes it. I went with a 50 gallon cube made by Delta from farm and fleet. I mounted it on a pallet. It ran around 175.00. I of course then went overboard and put a GPI easy 8 pump on it but it's works great. I can pot it in my van and take it to the local store to fill it. I am using it for desiel not gas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    mjncad, BigJim55, Marlin and 5 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Drifterbike For This Useful Post:

AlKozak (09-07-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-23-2019 @ 11:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    Anybody have a recommendation?
    I typically do not recommend things, but, check out flo-fast. It is a USA company. I have a couple of 5 gallon jugs and a pump for Diesel that I am happy with. I had to go small as can't lift much. They have bigger.
    Last edited by Roger47; 09-07-2018 at 03:27 AM.
    mjncad, Marlin and kylew like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Roger47 For This Useful Post:

AlKozak (09-07-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,301 Posts
    I have the Northern Tool "Roughneck" version. I've had it for over 5 years and it has worked well. It is very well made.

It is virtually identical to the John Dow unit. In fact it even uses a John Dow pump. Be careful with some of those less expensive units (i.e. the ones < $200). While they may look the same they are not built the same. On those cheaper units the tank is different, the wheels are flimsy, the pump is poor quality, and the hose is usually so flimsy that it will pinch and kink shut.

I originally bought mine with thoughts of hauling it to the gas station and filling it but quickly found out that there are tons of regulations regarding hauling larger amounts of gasoline in anything greater than a 8-gallon container. So I fill multiple 5-gallon containers and "pump" them into the caddy by turning the pump handle backwards. It has worked well and I have no regrets with this unit.

For diesel I use one of the Flo-Fast pumps and containers. As the previous poster suggested, this may be a better option for you. While mine is diesel they make them for gasoline as well. The containers are 7-gallons so there are no issues transporting them and they are very easy to handle and carry in the back of a SUV or truck. I have a couple 7-gallon containers that I fill and then just swap the pump when the container gets empty. I have mine rigged on a small luggage cart that I had laying around but I believe Flo-Fast sells carts as well if you need one.

They also make a 15-gallon container but it would be very heavy to handle and then you are back to the "over 8 gallon" container issue.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roughneck.jpg   IMG_1563.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

AlKozak (09-07-2018)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 2,342 Posts
    I would be inclined to put together your own setup similar to what Drifterbike said.

Pick out the size tank you want at a farm store then put what pump and other accessories you want on it.
    BigJim55, mark02tj, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

AlKozak (09-07-2018)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks
    A fuel depot/caddy for diesel, easier than gasoline. The day I had eight jerry cans in the back of my truck, strapped side-by-side against the gate, I pulled up to the pump, opened the canopy, unscrewed the caps, and commenced to filling. The pump literally stopped pumping. Next thing, the attendant came out and read me the riot act, about the container needing to be on the ground. For a ground. My truck was grounded by the tires...to the ground. Ever since, I hate having to go get gasoline. It's highly volatile, don't you know!!

In all honesty, I don't like having all the gasoline...stored in them cans....outta the weather....in my buildings....that can go BOOM.
    Diesel, there's a lot less immediate concern when you can stand there filling up, and light up a ciggy whilst doing so.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,301 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    In all honesty, I don't like having all the gasoline...stored in them cans....outta the weather....in my buildings....that can go BOOM. Diesel, there's a lot less immediate concern when you can stand there filling up, and light up a ciggy whilst doing so.
    Agree 100% but there's not much choice when you have gasoline mowers and emergency generators.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Agree 100% but there's not much choice when you have gasoline mowers and emergency generators.
    No doubt. When winter hits, I always a minimum of 8/5gal cans on the ready. A few times that has not been enough to make through a power outtage. At times I feel I need to have a concrete bunker
    underground..........way out back
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    A fuel depot/caddy for diesel, easier than gasoline. The day I had eight jerry cans in the back of my truck, strapped side-by-side against the gate, I pulled up to the pump, opened the canopy, unscrewed the caps, and commenced to filling. The pump literally stopped pumping. Next thing, the attendant came out and read me the riot act, about the container needing to be on the ground. For a ground. My truck was grounded by the tires...to the ground. Ever since, I hate having to go get gasoline. It's highly volatile, don't you know!!

In all honesty, I don't like having all the gasoline...stored in them cans....outta the weather....in my buildings....that can go BOOM.
    Diesel, there's a lot less immediate concern when you can stand there filling up, and light up a ciggy whilst doing so.
    Well, technically, they were correct, they need to sit on the ground to dissipate the static electricity charge that can build up. The tires of your vehicle dont ground anything, they are rubber and dont conduct electricity. Its why some vehicles actually drag chains on the ground too.

As to the thread, how does one know when its full with the rotary type pump? Just keep checking it from time to time?
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 2,342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Well, technically, they were correct, they need to sit on the ground to dissipate the static electricity charge that can build up. The tires of your vehicle dont ground anything, they are rubber and dont conduct electricity. Its why some vehicles actually drag chains on the ground too.

As to the thread, how does one know when its full with the rotary type pump? Just keep checking it from time to time?
    Yes. After a while you get a feel how much fuel you get per stroke. It might be a certain amount - like a quart - I don’t know. In the 10+ years I’ve been using my bulk tank I only spilled over once - and that was by emptying the hose when I was done pumping.

I wouldn’t be without my diesel bulk tank - use it for both my tractor and the VW. I despise gas cans but have to keep a few around for my generator. If I could have afforded a diesel generator at the time I would have bought one just to be rid of the gas cans.
    BigJim55, Marlin, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast