• 5 Post By BigJim55
  • 1 Post By blue87fj60

Thread: Saw restoration projects

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks

Saw restoration projects

In the past year I purchased two old saws. I cut a lot of firewood with my dad when I was a kid on a saw identical to the red one. Someone stole that one a number of years ago.

The green one came with a 32” and 36” blade and the red one came with a 32” blade.

They’ve been sitting in my garage for awhile and I decided it’s time to get these restored.

Only real fabrication work needed is to replace the bottom angle iron that rests on the ground. I’m not a welder but hoping someone local is willing to do a small job.

I plan to disassemble them, strip them, clean them up and repaint. Guess I need to buy and restore an old Allis Chalmers WD 45 like my dad has so I can test them out.

I know they don’t meet any modern safety standards, but I couldn’t stand the thought of these pieces of history ending up in a scrap pile.

Bought this one from a guy who’s father purchased new in the 1930’s

Second I bought, will likely end up being given to my dad because I know he will get some use out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    mjncad, Tomfive, Bubber and 7 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Never was around saws like that that sat on the ground. my step pap had one that mounted to the front of of his jd B--and ran a belt. as a kid i off beared a lot-a lot i mean. as long as u didn't mess around throwing the cut stick into the wagon, u didn't have to bend over to pick it up off the ground then.

later when he bought his model 50--they made it to fit it. man i wanted that thing so bad--but before my uncle passed away he gave it to my cousin instead. it has now rotted up-as it had wooden beams that bolted onto the side rails of tractor.

he's left it sit outside all these yrs., since then. no respect i say.
    rydplrs, keane, blue87fj60 and 2 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmedic View Post
    In the past year I purchased two old saws. I cut a lot of firewood with my dad when I was a kid on a saw identical to the red one. Someone stole that one a number of years ago.

The green one came with a 32” and 36” blade and the red one came with a 32” blade.

They’ve been sitting in my garage for awhile and I decided it’s time to get these restored.

Only real fabrication work needed is to replace the bottom angle iron that rests on the ground. I’m not a welder but hoping someone local is willing to do a small job.

I plan to disassemble them, strip them, clean them up and repaint. Guess I need to buy and restore an old Allis Chalmers WD 45 like my dad has so I can test them out.

I know they don’t meet any modern safety standards, but I couldn’t stand the thought of these pieces of history ending up in a scrap pile.

Bought this one from a guy who’s father purchased new in the 1930’s

Second I bought, will likely end up being given to my dad because I know he will get some use out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That’s exactly what I need to wack up this stack of hardwood skids I have!
    They are bone dry and eat up chainsaw chains pretty quick.
    gtmedic likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements