New Tool Box and New Tool Organizers
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree816Likes

Thread: New Tool Box and New Tool Organizers

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 1,469 Posts

New Tool Box and New Tool Organizers

I am transferring my tools over to a new toolbox and I am going to be using several new tool and drawer organizers to help keep the tools organized. I ordered 6 different things from socket organizers to special wrench organizers and better ways to store all the pliers, cutting tools, etc. to get started. I thought I would show the new organizers and give my opinion of them so it might be helpful for others either organizing their tools or perhaps outfitting a new toolbox or thinking about it.

I outgrew my old toolbox a long time ago and I kept adding stuff into it and pretty soon I had resurrected my old, old tool box and put it into use along with a Craftsman Rolling work cart. Add in another center section from another Craftsman Box I had somewhere and I was working out of three different toolboxes and once again, out of room. Well, for my birthday, Mrs. Bear solved that problem.

My old toolbox was / is 41" wide and from the floor to the top of the top box, it is 5' tall. There is an extra side cabinet which hangs off the left side of the lower box which is 12" wide and has another 6 drawers in it. This toolbox is 18" deep from front to back. So, the base section is 53" wide and 3 feet tall and the upper box is 41" wide and 24" tall.

It's a Husky box which I have had for about 10 or 15 years (time flies by) and it's been a good box. The lock was broken on it when I bought it as a floor model from Home Depot and I replaced it with a lock set they provided. I never had a need to use the locks as most who have their toolboxes at home don't. This box has met my needs and has been a good box. I got a heck of a deal on it paying $400 for the lower box, upper box and the side box which hangs on the lower section, which is 12" wide.

Here is a picture of my current Husky Toolbox, which is being replaced by the new box

That was the price on the lower box back then discounted for being a floor model and with the broken lock. The clerk argued with me and she refused to scan the other two bar codes, one for the top and one for the side box. In fact, I had the manager who sold it to me come to the cash register when the cashier was scanning just the lower box and he approved it. So, I got the entire unit for $424, out the door.

I tried to explain to them their mistake and they just ignored me. Funny thing was when I said I would take the box, the manager originally was going to sell me a new in the box set and they looked and looked in the store and couldn't find it. I recall him saying "The inventory shows 3 complete sets and the only one I can find is the one on the floor." That's when the discussion of the discount for the broken lock took place and the $400 for the lower unit was arrived upon. Anyways, it's no wonder their inventory was off so far......

My plan was to use the old box in a new location in the garage, to combine the old Craftsman boxes and roller cabinet into it. I say my plan "Was" to use the old box in this other role and then dispose of the Craftsman Boxes and Roller cabinet......but I had a serious incident, which could have turned out far worse. I will get into that in a second, but in the meantime, here are the new tool cabinets.

My new toolbox, sitting in the same place.

The new toolbox is huge, it's 72" wide and about 6' tall and the toolbox is 22" deep. Empty, the box weighed about 600 pounds.

Here is a picture of me lifting it off the trailer and my 1025r with the pallet forks had it's hands full with the toolbox out on the tips of the forks. It was sitting front to back on a trailer when delivered and I had to reach over the side of the trailer and pick it straight up over the side of the trailer and unload it that way. The lower unit was in a protective crate for shipping it while the upper unit was on a pallet strapped to the rear of the trailer.

In the photo, I had removed it from the trailer and unpacked it and now I am getting ready to set the lower unit in the garage.

It also has a lot of shallow drawers , which is exactly what I wanted as I am tired of digging for stuff. The new toolbox has 31 drawers in total and each drawer is heavy duty roller bearing slides and each drawer is rated for at least 100 pounds of tools. Each drawer already contains a very nice fitted anti slip mat in the bottom.

One major difference in this toolbox is many of the new big boxes have a real tall lid and top shelf area where you can store the cordless tools standing up and also store the battery chargers in the top of the box as well. While that is a great idea, I don't have more than 4 or 5 cordless tools and it would only take up a small fraction of the top under lid area. I want to store my sockets there, just as I did on my Husky box, using the socket organizers. So, this new box was more of the style I was seeking without the large lid and top shelf area for standing up the cordless tools.

Here is the worst drawer in the old toolbox, the drawer for pliers, electrical cutting tools, etc. This is the problem I am trying to get away from and I certainly will in the new toolbox.

The new organizer for the cutting tools and pliers is supposed to be here tomorrow, so I will provides pictures of the item and show it being put into use and give you my opinion of it. I ordered the organizer to be able to handle 10 tools per organizer and I ordered enough to organize 60 sets of pliers, side cutters, tin snips (which I have 10 sets with different cutting angles, tips, etc. of as I used to fabricate race car interior panels, etc.)

This is the new organizer for the cutting tools and pliers which will be here tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160717_114411886.jpg   IMG_20180915_154650924.jpg   IMG_20180918_113846071.jpg   IMG_20180915_151157264.jpg  
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 09-18-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: I unpacked it, not Uppacked it....
    mjncad, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 14 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    I’ll be watching. I am waiting for mobile work bench at Home Depot to go on sale and I also need to expand. Be watching for ideas as some of my drawers are the same mess as your.
    Last edited by jdmich; 09-18-2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Levi, BigJim55, SulleyBear and 2 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    I have gotten the first couple of drawers done for the box already. Here is the screwdriver drawer.

And here is the new drawer for the Nut Drivers and the handled Torx drivers.

I already have the drawer for the oil change tools set up and it permits me to see everything in the drawer without having to dig for it.

The metal oil filter tool in the photo on the Honda filter is the same as the filter for the Yanmar diesel's in our 1025R and many of the SCUT and CUT's using the small Yanmar Diesel. This is a great tool for doing the oil change as it makes removal and the install of the new filter very easy and clean.

The black filter is the Hydro filter on my 455, which has fluted edges just like most oil filters. However, the filter for the Hydro on the new 1 series uses a smooth fluid filter cartridge and there are no flute in it. I use the long black handled filter pliers in the drawer for the hydro filter on my new tractor.

In the back of the drawer are pullers which are tough to store as they take up a lot of room. I don't like to tear down the puller as there are too many small parts to get shuffled everywhere so I store the puller in tack in the drawer with the oil filter tools.

Any of you Harley owners out there will likely recognize the Harley oil filter wrench lying in the drawer. Its the metal wrench with the varying sized edge around the filter portion of the wrench and the other end is for the drain plug. It works well and the wrench also fits other vehicles filters I own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180918_150834578.jpg   IMG_20180918_150908811.jpg   IMG_20180918_113718312.jpg   IMG_20180918_113321117.jpg   IMG_20180918_113458336.jpg  

mjncad, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 10 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    I’ll be watching. I am waiting for mobile work bench at Home Depot to go on sale and I also need to expand. Be watching for ideas as some of my drawers are the same mess as your.
    I can now say "the same mess as your drawer WAS..."
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks

Organizer for Sockets

I have tried a number of things for organizing sockets and this is by FAR, the method of socket storage I prefer.

Now let me mention that my sockets organizing trays NEVER leave the tool box. They stay right there. I have a portable tool set in a plastic molded case with an entire set of 1/4" drive, 3/8" drive and shallow and deep well sockets with ratchets, extensions, etc. if I need to take sockets out of the garage. That set is stored in my out building where the lawn gear is kept.

Here are the socket organizers I purchased and came today.

These socket organizers are for 1/4" drive, 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive sockets in both SAE and Metric. I already have been using an entire set of this brand of socket organizers and will be transferring those to the new box as well.

The Hansen brand of socket organizers has served me extremely well. I just thought I would try this brand of socket organizers to see if they were any different and frankly, they are not any different. Next time, I would purchase the Hansen Brand again and save the price difference of $5 of so.

The Hansen organizers were put to the ultimate test on Saturday when I was moving my old tool chest and getting ready for the new tool chest to be delivered. As I went to move the old tool box stack, I locked the drawers and began to move it. As soon as I got the tool box turned sideways on the slope in the garage floor (which is very minimal just for drainage) the lock on the top box broke and the drawers all started to shift open. I tried to close the drawers and get the box turned back 90 degrees but the drawers kept fighting me.

I was in the garage alone and wish I could have stopped at that point and used a ratchet strap to secure the drawers. But i was alone and no help so I struggled trying to get the drawers kept closed on the top half and turn the box, which is very heavy. Just as I got the box starting to turn the drawers slid open again and this time, the impact caused the lower lock to also break and those drawers came open. I couldn't balance the box anymore and I jumped out of the way and over the entire stack went, face first.

Fortunately, I did not bolt the upper and lower boxes together as it would have made setting it back up even much more difficult than it already was. Meantime, all of my Hansen Socket organizers on the top of the box went flying and the top box actually tumbled an entire 360 degrees, landing face down with the drawers partially open.

The lower box went over and went face down, which was bad enough.

I can tell you had I not gotten out of the way, it would have been my last birthday. And what a mess........

So, I began to scoop up hand fulls of sockets and put them in 5 gallon buckets as well as the other tools scattered across the floor. I fill 5 bucket with the tools I picked up off the floor and then I used my 1025R pallet forks to set the top box back upright.

I did the same with the lower box and it was very near the lifting limit of the 1025r in weight as I kept getting up against the load limit in the hydraulics as I was setting the lower box, largely still full of tools, back up.

I walked up to the lower box and by hand, I couldn't budge it. The upper box was more empty than full at this point but it was still a struggle.

Bottom line, if you EVER move a toolbox, even with the incline being seemingly harmless, use ratchet straps around the toolbox to secure the drawers before moving it at all. Once the weight of the drawers snapped the top lock, I couldn't stop trying to balance it and close the drawers. It turned the tool box transition from one box to another into far bigger of a project than I had anticipated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180918_101803049.jpg   IMG_20180918_101950930.jpg  
    mjncad, Kennyd, Gizmo2 and 11 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (09-22-2018)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks
    SB,
    If you find yourself with nothing to do, I could put your organizing experience to good use! just a little drive to my place...
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Zebrafive and 5 others like this.
    2012 John Deere 2320 with FEL & 54” MMM
    Previously 2007 JD 2305
    Previously 2003 JD 2210
    Previously 1993 JD 265

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

The Hansen Socket Organizers Are TOUGH

Despite taking a ride for which the Hansen Socket organizers are clearly NOT designed, only three of the posts on 6 full socket organizers were damaged in the "tumble" and not one of the posts was broken completely off the organizers. I glued them with super glue and they were good as new.

When I ordered the new set of socket organizers, Amazon was down to 1 set in stock of the Hansen Brand which is partly why I ordered the socket organizers I did as I didn't want to wait for delivery. I would strongly suggest anyone considering this style of socket organizers to purchase the Hansen Brand and they sure survived the tumble much better than I thought they would.

Here are the Good and Bad of these socket organizers.

Good
    1. - They are not magnetic so you can easily get a socket with one greasy hand and not fight the magnet holding it.
    2. - They hold the sockets and the sizes are very easy to see even as one's eyes change when we age.
    3. - I would say 95% of my sockets fit the poles on the socket organizers. Some sockets do not, but they are usually oddball brands.
    4. - I like the ability to stack the 1/4" up front, the 3/8" behind them and the 1/2" at the back and being able to see them all. Its a little tougher with this super tall new box, but I will get by.

Bad
    1. For people who port their socket trays from job to job, you probably want a magnet to keep them organized.
    2. Some sockets don't fit but all my S&K, Most Craftsman, T&E, etc all fit. So, if you have common brands of sockets, they should be just fine.

Here is the Amazon link for them;

Amazon.com: Hansen Global 92000 SAE Metric Socket Storage Trays - 6 Piece Set: Automotive

You can buy the individual sizes but the set was a better deal. Also, there are several color choices for the trays.
    mjncad, Kennyd, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (09-22-2018)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACguy View Post
    SB,
    If you find yourself with nothing to do, I could put your organizing experience to good use! just a little drive to my place...
    My hourly rate is kind of high.........and I don't accept liquor, beer or food in payment as I don't drink and I am a picky eater.......

So, it's back to the hourly rate......

Let me tell you, I wanted to make this much, MUCH, MUCH less of a project than it turned into........
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, Levi and 4 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    My hourly rate is kind of high.........and I don't accept liquor, beer or food in payment as I don't drink and I am a picky eater.......

So, it's back to the hourly rate......

Let me tell you, I wanted to make this much, MUCH, MUCH less of a project than it turned into........
    SB
    I anticipated the hourly rate would be high! Good help is hard to find.....and when you find it, you must be prepared to pay for it! Nice Job though!
    DRobinson, Levi, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    2012 John Deere 2320 with FEL & 54” MMM
    Previously 2007 JD 2305
    Previously 2003 JD 2210
    Previously 1993 JD 265

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HVACguy For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (09-18-2018)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Despite taking a ride for which the Hansen Socket organizers are clearly NOT designed, only three of the posts on 6 full socket organizers were damaged in the "tumble" and not one of the posts was broken completely off the organizers. I glued them with super glue and they were good as new.

When I ordered the new set of socket organizers, Amazon was down to 1 set in stock of the Hansen Brand which is partly why I ordered the socket organizers I did as I didn't want to wait for delivery. I would strongly suggest anyone considering this style of socket organizers to purchase the Hansen Brand and they sure survived the tumble much better than I thought they would.

Here are the Good and Bad of these socket organizers.

Good
    1. - They are not magnetic so you can easily get a socket with one greasy hand and not fight the magnet holding it.
    2. - They hold the sockets and the sizes are very easy to see even as one's eyes change when we age.
    3. - I would say 95% of my sockets fit the poles on the socket organizers. Some sockets do not, but they are usually oddball brands.
    4. - I like the ability to stack the 1/4" up front, the 3/8" behind them and the 1/2" at the back and being able to see them all. Its a little tougher with this super tall new box, but I will get by.

Bad
    1. For people who port their socket trays from job to job, you probably want a magnet to keep them organized.
    2. Some sockets don't fit but all my S&K, Most Craftsman, T&E, etc all fit. So, if you have common brands of sockets, they should be just fine.

Here is the Amazon link for them;

Amazon.com: Hansen Global 92000 SAE Metric Socket Storage Trays - 6 Piece Set: Automotive

You can buy the individual sizes but the set was a better deal. Also, there are several color choices for the trays.
    That is what I use for my socket organizer. Pic below. Also included a pic of one of my drawers showing how I organize my stuff.

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0479.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	648980

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0483.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	648982
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast