Lincoln 140-125-Hobart EZ or 140?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By RetiredDoc
  • 3 Post By Kennyd

Thread: Lincoln 140-125-Hobart EZ or 140?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-05-2019 @ 04:06 PM
    Thanks

Lincoln 140-125-Hobart EZ or 140?

Need an opinion. I want to get a welder. I don't see much need for any MIG so flux core wire ok. I have no specific use other than to screw around with it in my spare time. I was leaning towards the Hobart 140 but then decided I don't need the extra expense of gas when I have no use for it. Then I like the Lincoln 140 because it has the extra power to take me up to a full 1/4" in one pass, I believe. I will probably never weld anything heavier than 1/8" but the extra power is good to have.

I really know nothing about this stuff. Only welded one time, 20 years ago with a junk stick welder on a small job to help a guy out. Any suggestion on equipment for just screwing around with for now. Maybe some 1/8" fab. projects around my barn or a deck repair or two & that would be about the extent of my welding.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I'm sure the many experienced welders here will chime in soon. My take on this is that 3 years ago I could have posted almost exactly the same question, with the same plans. I decided then on a Millermatic 211, and am happy I did.

I was fascinated by the ease of flux core wire, but have since gone to shielding gas. I've added a dedicated 50A welder electrical outlet, ontained a welding table, and found that I am welding thicker steel than I origianlly planned.
    Maddog, mark02tj and Fozsey like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredDoc For This Useful Post:

Maddog (09-25-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,176 Times in 2,607 Posts
    I don't use flux-core, it's too messy for my liking. I think both makes/models are pretty equal, but you might consider a MIG capable machine even if you don't think you want it now. Also consider what your LWS (local welding store) carries for when you need consumables.
    Superglidesport, Maddog and Fozsey like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Maddog (09-25-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements