Surprisingly Nice Small 1050 W. Gas Generator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Surprisingly Nice Small 1050 W. Gas Generator

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 1,469 Posts

Surprisingly Nice Small 1050 W. Gas Generator

First, I must begin by acknowledging that my wonderful next door neighbors, who are the parents on my little buddy, "K", surprised me last night and brought this over as a belated birthday gift for me.

Here is a link to the actual manufacturer's website for this generator

P01001 1050 Watt Generator Firman Power Equipment

It is a 1050 watt small portable generator which sells through many sources. I see Costco sells it for $149.95

Some of you may recall in another thread recently, when I saw this generator being delivered to my neighbors front steps during the morning several days ago, it was starting to rain. So I called them to see if they were home and since they weren't, I placed the entire box in a big garbage bag so the box wouldn't get wet.

Little did I know it was actually a present for ME!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180921_102936803.jpg   IMG_20180921_103043202.jpg  

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    I have looked at many of these small, low cost generators including the ones sold by Harbor Freight. Many of them were quite "cheaply built" and it showed. Very spartan and very "Chinese appearing" if you know what I mean.

Well, this generator is also made in China for the company, which is based in Arizona. I have to say, I am VERY IMPRESSED with the quality of the product and the companies attention to details. Let me show you some examples of why I say that.

Check out the contents of the box when I opened it.

Included is the very nicely made and heavy duty handle for the top of the generator.

But, the attention to details are just beginning. The manufacturer included nice rubber washers to install between the injection molded plastic handle (which is very sturdy and well made, I tried to twist and or bend it with my bare hands before I installed the handle and it is solid).

Not only did they include the handle and the nice rubber anti vibration / scratch preventing washers, they included nice plated hardware in screws with the locking washers on the screw and a nice screw driver to install the handle. I put the screw driver in my tool box as it was not a "throw away" like you might expect. They even included yellow insert covers to cover up the screw holes in the handle once installed.

Another very nice touch is the generator holds an odd amount of oil (I think it was 13.2 ounces) and there is an oil bottle of EXACTLY the size needed to fill the generator. Not more than needed, not less. Very good thinking to prevent over filling of the generator when new. Also, I retained the oil bottle after filling the generator and when I service the generator, I will refill the bottle with my quality oil and use the original bottle to refill the generator as it is sized perfectly to meet the generators capacity.....Very good thinking on the companies part.....

As shown in the photo, also a very nice funnel which I also kept. All of these items were in actual zip lock plastic bags which could be reused so I stored the empty oil bottle in the zip lock bag to keep it clean and I stored the funnel for filling the generator in the zip lock bag which it came in. Every item was in a zip lock bag which is Nice use of packing materials instead of cheap throw away items.

The attention to details and thought which went into just the packing are showing me this company is WAY ABOVE many of the low priced generators I have considered buying for myself.

Also included was a plug wrench and other items which are handy and useful.

The company is off to a very good start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181002_121601898.jpg  

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks

Moving on to the documentation which came with the Generator

Written in english, well organized, with a table of contents and page numbers which correspond. Actually done correctly (which shouldn't be so difficult, but it sure seems to be as of late....)

Check this out.....

Detailed parts illustrations WITH corresponding part numbers and quantity details. Nice......very nice......

Right there in the owners manual, no need to go looking for them online or anywhere else.....Impressive....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181002_123026220.jpg   IMG_20181002_123034318.jpg  

1025R with Mauser Cab

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks

Ok, moving on to the Generator

Very nicely designed and assembled. Quality, everywhere you look on this low cost generator.

The oil dipstick, yes, it has a DIP STICK to check the oil, is shown in the center of the bottom on the front of the generator, right where it should be.

Top of the generator showing the fuel fill cap and the nicely installed handle with the yellow screw covers snapped in and the FUEL GAUGE ON TOP of the generator, right in plain, simple sight.....Nice touch.... an actual, functioning gas gauge. That's handy......

Recoil end of the generator, and look at the real live, fuel shut off valve. Made of METAL, like it should be and one which will function as it should for a long time......Nice.......

The small yellow handle above the black air cleaner on the left side of the machine is the choke lever. Tucked in like it is, it's in the CHOKE POSITION. When you are ready to start it, you push the lever out above the air cleaner. By the way, the choke lever is METAL and has a metal spring on it. Like a real engine should have....no plastic here except the yellow cover on the end of the handle, which makes it easy to see.

I have to tell you, this is far different (BETTER) than the other low priced generators I have looked at in this size and price range.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181002_123124647.jpg   IMG_20181002_123135717.jpg   IMG_20181002_123150391.jpg  

1025R with Mauser Cab

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks

More about my new little friend.....

Everywhere I look on this generator, I see QUALITY and I do not see "Low Price"........

Other end of the generator and the engine. The engine cylinder is cast iron sleeved for a long life, which I was pleasantly surprised to find in a generator of this price range.....

Take a look at the gas tank and fuel cap. First, the cap is quality steel with a rubber seal on it as it should have. Many of the low priced generators I looked at had cheap plastic threaded gas caps which could easily be lost. Check out the steel chain to retain the cap.

Look at the removable screen in the fuel fill.......Nice....

The more I check this machine over, the more impressed I am........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181002_123221959.jpg   IMG_20181002_123652917_HDR.jpg  

1025R with Mauser Cab

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks

Time to fire up this Bad Boy......

Time for the moment of truth.....

Put some of the Tru Fuel type fuel in it, Premium fuel......No Ethanol....Gas gauge works!

Despite being bone dry on fuel and no way to prime the fuel system other than gravity, THIRD PULL and the Generator is running, registering the output on the gauge.

90 decibels at 3 feet or standing directly above the generator.

82 decibels at 15 feet on any side

78 decibels at 20 feet in any direction

Next to the front tire on my 1025R for size comparison

Engine ran very smooth, it runs at one RPM until a load is placed upon it and then you can hear the change in the RPM's but not significant like the "Auto Idle" feature on my Honda Generator.

Final Impressions......

I am very pleased with the build quality and the attention to detail. This does not appear to be nor run like a $150 generator. In fact, there is NOTHING I have found which I would say "disappoints" me about this unit.

It weighed 47 pounds on the shipping scale with the fuel tank containing 1 gallon of fuel and it's capacity is 1.3 gallons. Here it is shown next to the front tire on my 1025R, which is just inside the door and where I sat the generator to permit it to cool down. Even after running for about 10 minutes, only the muffler shroud was "Hot" as you would expect it to be.

The generator did not make any "brush" or "contact noise" like many of the lower cost generators I have seen and sampled before. The engine, while noisy at 90 decibels (which ironically is the same noise level as my 1025R standing next to it, although the sounds are very different, the noise volume measures with similar results...) it's not an uncomfortable "noise". If you were to use this for tailgating or at a tractor show, etc., if you used a 20 foot extension cord, the noise wouldn't be "oppressive or annoying.

My Honda 3000 I.U. Generator measures around 64 decibels and it is considerably quieter, and the Honda also utilizes the Auto Idle feature to speed up and slow the engine down with the load demands. But the Honda Generator was nearly 14 times the cost of this small generator.

My suggestion is if you are looking for a small portable generator, seriously consider this generator and this brand of generators. The company gets very high marks for excellent customer service when you read a variety of reviews.

The only negative reviews I read about this brand of generators settled around shipping damage and other stuff which has no real bearing on the brand of the generator or the parent company. I really wish people would learn that PRODUCT REVIEWS are to review the product and not comment about the shipper who may have done something while the unit was in transit.

I will say that This generator was packed in such a way that it would take serious damage to the carton to actually hurt the unit. The cardboard box this unit came in is so thick that I couldn't bend the top flaps of the box over one another to seal it like I so often do to empty cardboard boxes. The box alone empty weighed nearly 5 pounds with the packing material.....

If you are looking for a portable generator, this brand and this generator definitely deserve your serious consideration. My neighbor also bought a 8,000 /10,000 start up, portable generator at Costco for his own use for home power outages and that generator was right at $1,100. It is built the same way this smaller unit is, with attention to detail and good quality. Being able to purchase a 8,000 / 10,000 start up generator for $1,100 is a great deal.

Keep in mind if you are going to be running any sensitive electronics, consider their line of "Whisper Series Generators" which produce electricity intended to run computers and other sensitive electronic equipment.

Here is the parent companies website for review and more details.

Firman Power Equipment Power Equipment

This is a very, very nice gift from a great neighbor and I am sure I will get much use from it. We are really very grateful we have such kind neighbors who are also treasured friends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181002_123837832.jpg   IMG_20181002_124054785.jpg   IMG_20181002_124613967.jpg  

1025R with Mauser Cab

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

GKofTX (10-04-2018), Treefarmer (10-03-2018)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 11:09 PM
    Thanks
    Wait, you have a sound meter to measure decibels? Or was that the specs in the manual? Overall, very nice generator and nice write up! Aren't you glad you covered it up for them (you) in the rain?

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Leroy View Post
    Wait, you have a sound meter to measure decibels? Or was that the specs in the manual? Overall, very nice generator and nice write up! Aren't you glad you covered it up for them (you) in the rain?
    See, being a nice neighbor and helping them out turned out to be helping myself....... Now, I feel kind of selfish......Ok, it passed.

I have an app on my Android Smart Phone which I use and from what I have seen when comparing it to other methods of measuring the sound, it's surprisingly accurate for being a smart phone app......

I originally put it on my phone as I wanted to measure the sound in my new cab on my tractor. When I have used it to measure various things and then compared it to the values listed in owners manuals and other sources, it's pretty dog gone close.......

It's kind of an interesting "toy" to have on your phone. It's also interesting how different types of noise measure verses what one might expect.

For example, inside my tractor cab, the noise was exactly the same measurement as outside the cab and standing on either side of the tractor at 2 feet from the side of the hood. When you stand in front of the tractor, which is the direction the exhaust actually aims, the sound was different (as I hear it) but the noise measurement was barely 1 decibel less. Behind the tractor, at the 3 point hitch, it was 84 (if I recall) verses 89 /90 in the other locations.

The sound of the noise in the cab has a "resonating" effect to it and I actually thought the noise volume in the cab would be greater than the noise outside and next to it, because of that "effect", but it doesn't measure differently.

Sure, it's not the precise measuring instrument that a dedicated, professional measuring device would be, but it gives me an idea and it also provides results which have surprised me, like the difference inside the cab and outside the cab.

Plus it's kind of fun. You ought to see how the real Sulley Bear can blow the meter over 100 when she gets P.O.ed......Her barking when she is MAD are some of the loudest sounds it has measured......(other than gunshots, of course.....) Hey, when you have an app like this on your phone, you measure all kinds of sounds just for kicks....It will also graph the noise and you can get pretty fancy with it.

Shown below, The real Sulley Bear playing World Wrestling Federation with her sister, Beasely......which is an every morning occurrence.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180914_093330581.jpg  

1025R with Mauser Cab

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    How ironic....protecting your own present. Good for you

Great pic of Bear & Beasley too
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (10-04-2018)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks

Great review!!!!

What a handy little "fill in" generator for Mr. Sumpy while Hydro is stringing cable and starting my 7500... Sometimes the lights come on quickly and I wouldn't have wind up the cable and shut down the warm up cycle. I could just pop that little guy out under the Bilco doors and wait it out for a while... Could even get a nap and not get wet feet!
    SulleyBear and Oscar Leroy like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast