Like Tree246Likes

Thread: US General tool boxes

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,482 Posts

US General tool boxes

I noticed in the latest Harbor Freight catalog that they now offer their "Mechanic Cart" or something like that in orange, yellow and green in addition to red, blue and black.

I wonder what market they are targeting?
    Gizmo2, Levi, OxPath and 6 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    I still like my Kennedy Tool Boxes I have had since 1974 when I became a Electrician in my younger years. They have held up well and I see on EBay they are still worth what I paid for them all these years even used! They were even USA Made!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kennedy.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	654726
    Last edited by JD4044M; 10-29-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 7 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    I noticed in the latest Harbor Freight catalog that they now offer their "Mechanic Cart" or something like that in orange, yellow and green in addition to red, blue and black.

I've wondered the same thing. Harbor Freight has really shaken up the toolbox business, seems like everybody and their brother is now offering some pretty nice boxes at fairly reasonable prices. Back when I was in the market about the only real option was Craftsman.

Was in Sam's Club the other day and saw these, looked nice but I really don't have a need for it or a place to put it now.

Tool Box
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Levi and 6 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    I still like my Kennedy Tool Boxes I have had since 1974 when I became a Electrician in my younger years. They have held up well and I see on EBay they are still worth what I paid for them all these years even used! They were even USA Made!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kennedy.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	654726
    I have you beat. My Dad was a tool & dye maker. I have his Machinist's work bench tool box. It has to be at least 75 years old if not older. I still have it & I have it with his specialized tools in it just the way he gave it to me. And I'm not going to tell you how old I am but I did own a T Rex as a pet at one time. I love my Dad's Kennedy & all that's in it. I have it on my work bench & I just love it & all that is in it.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 9 others like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddog For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (10-29-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks

As with almost everything Chinese, they throw enough noodles on the wall and some will stick. Their higher end carts & tool boxes are not bad at all. I think they are trying to chase some of the business that Mack tools & the others have because those companies offer some custom colors & specialized graphics.

If you think about it- a young wrench twister can't really afford a Mack or a Snap-on box with custom paint & graphics. SO I'm guessing the HF people are hearing customers asking for those new colors. Just my guess. I kind of like the lime & yellow. But if I were to buy one, I would go with the more traditional Red. And their red is a nice shade. Just like the color of the flames out of the dragon's mouth.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 10 others like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks

Well, if you have noticed over the last 10+ years, Snap-On has been coming in a dozen colors, plus all sorts of 'special edition' boxes. So I guess they are just keeping up with the Jones's.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    Well, if you have noticed over the last 10+ years, Snap-On has been coming in a dozen colors, plus all sorts of 'special edition' boxes. So I guess they are just keeping up with the Jones's.
    I haven't paid much attention. I use an old John Deere first generation tool box from the mid seventies.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I've wondered the same thing. Harbor Freight has really shaken up the toolbox business, seems like everybody and their brother is now offering some pretty nice boxes at fairly reasonable prices. Back when I was in the market about the only real option was Craftsman.

Was in Sam's Club the other day and saw these, looked nice but I really don't have a need for it or a place to put it now.

Tool Box
    i think that i have seen some where that style of a tool box-being offered by JD BACK SOME YRS AGO. darn caps button

and they(jd )wanted way more ..................than that price at Sams is now. i got enough tool boxes fro my life time left here on the ole planet.
    but i would like another cart like that-yelp.
    Levi, spferdil, Robnik and 3 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:51 AM
    Thanks
    Just about everyone is offering multiple colors.
    When I first looked at getting a bigger box a few years back, the US General box only came in red, while even the Masterforce from Menards came in a couple colors. Craftsman had just added a couple colors to their lineup as well.
    They waited long enough to offer them, but now they added more colors than the others in the mid priced box market offer.

I can say, after owning one for about 6 years, that US General would be my first stop for a tool box. Ive worked around Snap-On, MAC, Matco, etc, and until you get into their mid line/high end boxes, the quality is the same, and they are CONSIDERABLY more expensive. Yes, the US General is made in China. If thats a problem for you, so be it.
    When I was shopping, the US General bottom and top box, 42" wide, was about half the cost of just the bottom box of the Snap-on. It was a few hundred cheaper than a cheap Craftsman.
    I cant comment on pricing today, though last time I looked, they didnt look like they had gone up much, and if you can catch one of the rare sales they offer on them, they are still a great bargain.
    Honestly, its one of the only tool related things I like from Harbor Freight.
    For a home shop, youd be hard pressed to find a better value. I know a couple guys using them professionally.
    They spend the money they saved on the box on tools to fill it.
    mjncad, Levi, Minuteman17 and 3 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    I can say, after owning one for about 6 years, that US General would be my first stop for a tool box. Ive worked around Snap-On, MAC, Matco, etc, and until you get into their mid line/high end boxes, the quality is the same, and they are CONSIDERABLY more expensive. Yes, the US General is made in China. If thats a problem for you, so be it.
    I agree completely. I have one of the 42" bottom cabinets and used to have one of the 5-drawer tool carts (gave it to my brother). I just can't imagine a better value for home use. I got mine on sale AND was able to use a coupon. It is way better than the $800 Craftsman boxes a bought a few years prior. I've since attached one of the hanging end drawer sections to it. I keep the top empty and use it as a pseudo work bench. I kept looking for something to be wrong with it but the fit and finish was just incredible. I swear the INSIDE of the tool cabinet has a better paint job than the outside of a lot of more expensive cabinets.

I saw a review on one of the YouTube channels where someone compared the 5-drawer tool cart to a virtually identical Blue Point unit from Snap-On. They were so similar they could have come out of the same factory. The US General unit was $150 after coupon and the Blue Point was over $900.
    mjncad, DRobinson, Levi and 6 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast