• 2 Post By Treefarmer
  • 3 Post By Stoshu

Thread: Stilh MS250

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks

Stilh MS250

My second equipment failure report of the day...

My 250 quit. Bought it Nov 2003 and it has been faithful to a fault--rain or shine--hot or cold.

I cranked...it started...lots of smoke and then I could not keep it going then stopped. Sounds bad.

Now the tough decision...do I try to repair it or get a new one...

I will dig in tomorrow and see what I discover.
    JD 3032E
    D160 Loader
    WR Long 3rd Function Valve
    Titan Ballast Box
    Titan Pallet forks
    Compact Tractor Attachments 50" Grapple
    Gator TX

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks

Replacement

Unless you are running that saw a lot, 15 years might be a premature death. I've got a Husky 51 that I bought sometime in either the 1980's or early 90's and it still runs well. If you are cutting commercially or doing a dozen cords of wood a year, I could see a 15 year old saw being just worn out.

Regardless, if you go new I bought a MS362 saw recently. Hopefully it's the last saw I'll buy. It's not up to the 460 we also have but it seems to be a very capable saw. Easy chain adjust, magnesium case, adjustable oil flow etc. all tie it back to a semi-professional saw. It's got decent power for most uses and was actually lighter than the homeowner grade saw.

I haven't had it long enough to give a full review but so far, I'm pretty happy. Like most higher end products, it was a bit pricier than I would have liked to pay but if it lasts I'll be glad I spend the extra

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    Always a hard call to make with these smaller gas tools.

It looks like my Husky gas cut-off saw will need a rebuild.

If anyone's priced one of these out recently, you'll understand I'll come out far ahead with a rebuild.
    BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeereWimberley View Post
    My second equipment failure report of the day...

My 250 quit. Bought it Nov 2003 and it has been faithful to a fault--rain or shine--hot or cold.

I cranked...it started...lots of smoke and then I could not keep it going then stopped. Sounds bad.

Now the tough decision...do I try to repair it or get a new one...

I will dig in tomorrow and see what I discover.
    It sounds like the dreaded ehtonal failure. I bet if you get a new replacement line and filter, a tune-up and it will be ready to go again. I stopped mixng my fuel and now buy the pre-mixed fuel from Lowes. This stuff can set for years and never loose it properties to start.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks
    Im no good at saw diagnosis, but I get assistance from the guys over at Arboristforum.com when I need help.
    I have a local shop that will diagnose fairly cheap too, but I like to do what I can on my own. 2 strokes arent too complicated.
    Just a quick google search brought up a few threads on that forum with similar symptoms that were carb issues.

My neighbors 270 was in and out of the shop for rough running, no start for a few months. Went to a different shop, found cracked intake, replaced, runs like new.
    That saw is likely the same vintage as your saw, and its seen a TON of work over its life. Its his main saw, and living in the woods, it sees a LOT of work. Im actually surprised at how well it still runs after all this time, but he does run the good Stihl 2 stroke oil in it.

Ive got a Husky Rancher 55 that Ive had since the late 90s, still runs like new. I will NOT run ethanol in my saws, or other small equipment. Luckily, I can get ethanol free gas locally, because the canned stuff, while good, is REALLY expensive.
    I also run Opti-2 oil in about everything, at about an 80:1 mix, which is a bit heavier than they recommend. I know some guys dont like it or dont believe it works, but Ive got a Deere XT120 trimmer and Deere BP60 backpack blower from 2002 that have seen a ton of use over the years, and both are still running original fuel lines and primer bulbs, and still start on the 1st or 2nd pull after sitting all Winter. 16 years is unheard of for fuel lines in 2 stroke equipment. Most people dont believe me when I say that. Cant help what they believe, but Ill keep running it, because for me, its worked wonders and I dont have to goof with different mixes for different equipment.
    The lone exception to that right now is my Husky 550XP, mostly because I was trying to diagnose a problem with the carb, and the shop said to give Huskys oil a try while we were working it out. Never did work it out, well, couldnt tune it out anyway. It needed a new carb to solve its issues. After this gallon of mix, Ill likely go to the Opti-2 in it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Unless you are running that saw a lot, 15 years might be a premature death. I've got a Husky 51 that I bought sometime in either the 1980's or early 90's and it still runs well. If you are cutting commercially or doing a dozen cords of wood a year, I could see a 15 year old saw being just worn out.

Regardless, if you go new I bought a MS362 saw recently. Hopefully it's the last saw I'll buy. It's not up to the 460 we also have but it seems to be a very capable saw. Easy chain adjust, magnesium case, adjustable oil flow etc. all tie it back to a semi-professional saw. It's got decent power for most uses and was actually lighter than the homeowner grade saw.

I haven't had it long enough to give a full review but so far, I'm pretty happy. Like most higher end products, it was a bit pricier than I would have liked to pay but if it lasts I'll be glad I spend the extra

Treefarmer
    I was/am looking at the 362. Looks like an excellent saw for a 60cc. The only thing stopping me is my local Stihl/Deere dealer, while great with Deere service, is so-so with Stihl repairs. They couldnt find a cracked intake on my neighbors saw even after having it 4 times over 2 months. First place he took it after that found it within an hour of dropping it off. That kind of soured me on them. It was between the Husky 562XP and the Stihl MS362C. Either will work for what I need, and both are pro level saws, but its nice to have a good dealer to work on them, although I think having bought tractors from the place might help should I ever need service.
    Still debating. My Husky 359 is still running strong, although a bit louder than I like with the muffler mod. Guess Im getting old!
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 11-02-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks

No quarrel with Husky

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Im no good at saw diagnosis, but I get assistance from the guys over at Arboristforum.com when I need help.
    I have a local shop that will diagnose fairly cheap too, but I like to do what I can on my own. 2 strokes arent too complicated.
    Just a quick google search brought up a few threads on that forum with similar symptoms that were carb issues.

My neighbors 270 was in and out of the shop for rough running, no start for a few months. Went to a different shop, found cracked intake, replaced, runs like new.
    That saw is likely the same vintage as your saw, and its seen a TON of work over its life. Its his main saw, and living in the woods, it sees a LOT of work. Im actually surprised at how well it still runs after all this time, but he does run the good Stihl 2 stroke oil in it.

Ive got a Husky Rancher 55 that Ive had since the late 90s, still runs like new. I will NOT run ethanol in my saws, or other small equipment. Luckily, I can get ethanol free gas locally, because the canned stuff, while good, is REALLY expensive.
    I also run Opti-2 oil in about everything, at about an 80:1 mix, which is a bit heavier than they recommend. I know some guys dont like it or dont believe it works, but Ive got a Deere XT120 trimmer and Deere BP60 backpack blower from 2002 that have seen a ton of use over the years, and both are still running original fuel lines and primer bulbs, and still start on the 1st or 2nd pull after sitting all Winter. 16 years is unheard of for fuel lines in 2 stroke equipment. Most people dont believe me when I say that. Cant help what they believe, but Ill keep running it, because for me, its worked wonders and I dont have to goof with different mixes for different equipment.
    The lone exception to that right now is my Husky 550XP, mostly because I was trying to diagnose a problem with the carb, and the shop said to give Huskys oil a try while we were working it out. Never did work it out, well, couldnt tune it out anyway. It needed a new carb to solve its issues. After this gallon of mix, Ill likely go to the Opti-2 in it too.

I was/am looking at the 362. Looks like an excellent saw for a 60cc. The only thing stopping me is my local Stihl/Deere dealer, while great with Deere service, is so-so with Stihl repairs. They couldnt find a cracked intake on my neighbors saw even after having it 4 times over 2 months. First place he took it after that found it within an hour of dropping it off. That kind of soured me on them. It was between the Husky 562XP and the Stihl MS362C. Either will work for what I need, and both are pro level saws, but its nice to have a good dealer to work on them, although I think having bought tractors from the place might help should I ever need service.
    Still debating. My Husky 359 is still running strong, although a bit louder than I like with the muffler mod. Guess Im getting old!
    I understand about the dealer. In my case, I no longer have a local or semi local Husky dealer except for big box stores and I really try to buy saws where I can get service if needed plus the big box stores don't handle the better saws. Over the years, we've had 3 or 4 Husky saws and all gave good to excellent service so I can't say anything bad about Husqvarna. If I had a good dealer close by, it would have been a tough choice between the two brands.

I am pleased with the Stihl so far but won't really know much until I run it a lot more. The same would have been true for any new saw, a few cuts or even a few tanks of gas really doesn't prove a product.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Thanks
    For $35 you can get a cylinder,crank, and piston kit on eBay.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements