Like Tree30Likes
  • 9 Post By jgayman
  • 6 Post By Jeff B
  • 4 Post By jgayman
  • 4 Post By IndianaJim
  • 4 Post By rob257
  • 2 Post By Jeff B
  • 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: Whatever happened to good 'ole rubber?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts

Whatever happened to good 'ole rubber?

I guess this is a bit of a tool related rant. As the temperatures start to dip down I am reminded that they just don't use good 'ole rubber much anymore. All those cords, hoses and cables that were so nice and pliable during the summer months have now suddenly started to petrify into a semi-rigid plastic.

I was out in the garage trying to coil up the extra wire from my solar Battery Tender today. All summer long the cord is nice and soft and pliable. But now in just 40-degree temperatures it has become so stiff that you can't even roll it up.

I have a nozzle hose on a fuel tank that becomes so stiff in the winter that you can hold it with a 5-foot length sticking straight out stiff as a chunk of PVC. You can't really bend it very easy. I suppose you could break it over your knee. ;-)

Rubber oh rubber, where art thou?
    mjncad, Kennyd, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    It's going to cost you a few more bucks, well ok, maybe more than a few but you could go to your local electric equipment supplier and buy a length of SOOW or SOEW cord and attach your own plug and receptacle.

There are "arctic" extension cords sold but I don't know if they hold up in 100F conditions?
    mjncad, Gizmo2, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    It's going to cost you a few more bucks, well ok, maybe more than a few but you could go to your local electric equipment supplier and buy a length of SOOW or SOEW cord and attach your own plug and receptacle.

There are "arctic" extension cords sold but I don't know if they hold up in 100F conditions?
    I have one of those blue arctic extension cords on a little electric snow blower that I use for sidewalks and while it might not get as stiff as a regular cord, it is far from flexible when temps are below freezing.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Well, rubber is a petroleum byproduct, so I guess thats why its not so common anymore.
    I personally dont mind too much (ok, thats a lie, some things I like the way they were), as I use low temp electrical cords anyway, and for air hoses, which is the thing I hate dealing with the most in the cold, I use Plyovic air hoses. I had a rubber hose, and it deteriorated so fast I couldnt believe it. Didnt make it a year. Could have been junk before, but thats bad. The Plyovic hoses I have are excellent in the cold, and very durable.
    The electrical cords I use are generally 12 gauge, and are plenty flexible down to at least 0. Below that and Im not outside playing with them much.
    I do have one cheapie low temp cord, and its not as flexible as my good one, but still better than the standard cords when it gets cold.
    Gas can nozzles are a huge pet peeve of mine. Nobody makes a good one anymore, and replacements for the old cans are JUNK.
    I keep putting it off, but Im severely tempted to just buy a few of the Scepter jerry cans and call it a day. I can get them for gas and for diesel, and the spouts for those are easy to find and work very well.

I suppose the implied rule here is that you can still get the advantage most times, but have to pay more to get it. Cheaping out mostly ends up in regret.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-22-2019 @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks

Lightbulb My sense of humor just went rampant

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I guess this is a bit of a tool related rant. As the temperatures start to dip down I am reminded that they just don't use good 'ole rubber much anymore. All those cords, hoses and cables that were so nice and pliable during the summer months have now suddenly started to petrify into a semi-rigid plastic.

I was out in the garage trying to coil up the extra wire from my solar Battery Tender today. All summer long the cord is nice and soft and pliable. But now in just 40-degree temperatures it has become so stiff that you can't even roll it up.

I have a nozzle hose on a fuel tank that becomes so stiff in the winter that you can hold it with a 5-foot length sticking straight out stiff as a chunk of PVC. You can't really bend it very easy. I suppose you could break it over your knee. ;-)

Rubber oh rubber, where art thou?

30degrees in the AM. Go to drugstore. Buy "Trojans". Come home to unheated shop. Install "Trojan". Invite wife to shop to help start the fire in ………………………..will it work
    mjncad, Gizmo2, jgayman and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Well, rubber is a petroleum byproduct, so I guess thats why its not so common anymore.
    I personally dont mind too much (ok, thats a lie, some things I like the way they were), as I use low temp electrical cords anyway, and for air hoses, which is the thing I hate dealing with the most in the cold, I use Plyovic air hoses. I had a rubber hose, and it deteriorated so fast I couldnt believe it. Didnt make it a year. Could have been junk before, but thats bad. The Plyovic hoses I have are excellent in the cold, and very durable.
    The electrical cords I use are generally 12 gauge, and are plenty flexible down to at least 0. Below that and Im not outside playing with them much.
    I do have one cheapie low temp cord, and its not as flexible as my good one, but still better than the standard cords when it gets cold.
    Gas can nozzles are a huge pet peeve of mine. Nobody makes a good one anymore, and replacements for the old cans are JUNK.
    I keep putting it off, but Im severely tempted to just buy a few of the Scepter jerry cans and call it a day. I can get them for gas and for diesel, and the spouts for those are easy to find and work very well.

I suppose the implied rule here is that you can still get the advantage most times, but have to pay more to get it. Cheaping out mostly ends up in regret.

In the facility I maintain we had many problems with compressed air hoses bursting, cracking and melting from various chemical exposure.
    I switched over to Parker 801 Push Lock hose which feels and acts rubbery but I'm not sure of its exact composition.
    We normally use 1/4 ID hose which is 801-4.

I don't use the push lock fittings because in 1/4 they are a bear to push together, I just use standard barbed fittings with Oetiker clamps.
    Have no issues at all now unless someone drags the hose across a grinding wheel or belt sander by accident.
    Gizmo2 and Herminator like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post

The hose is on my Roughneck 30-gallon gas caddy. It was plenty pliable in the summer but as soon as the temps dip it literally becomes a rigid pipe. I'm not kidding, I can hold it back at the tank and it will stand out horizontal for 5-feet. I found a replacement from HMC that stays totally pliable in the winter (and is like a wet noodle in the summer). :-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roughneck.jpg  
    IndianaJim likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:43 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob257 View Post
    30degrees in the AM. Go to drugstore. Buy "Trojans". Come home to unheated shop. Install "Trojan". Invite wife to shop to help start the fire in ………………………..will it work
    I have more ideas than ambition.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements