Do you have a router table? Do you use it?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Do you have a router table? Do you use it?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Thanks

Do you have a router table? Do you use it?

Like the subject says, do you have router table? If so, do you actually use it? In my woodworking I have uses for one, but I've gotten by with a handheld router up to this point. Is it useful long term, or is it the elliptical of wood working tools where you use it a lot at first then just pile stuff on it?

Black Friday is coming, so I may be looking for one. What should I look for? No frills and get the job done, or is a crank lift a must have? What else is there to look for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Thanks
    My sweetie bought me a Bench Dog table a few years ago because she was pretty adamant that I needed it. For the most part, it sits in the garage under a pile of "stuff". I managed with a bench top table for years and was fine with that.

If I had an actual wood working shop where I could leave it accessible all the time I'd use it more but.. that's a dream at this point. I have 1 garage bay that I switch between tractor storage, wood working and welding. The switch from one to the next is kinda painful.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Thanks
    I use my router table more than I use a hand held router. For me, a router table is safer to use. I love the dust collection on a router table.
    I would not be without a router table.

My router table is home built with a router lift & an Incra LS positioner fence. In my opinion, a router lift is the only way to go.
    Just like tractors, it just comes down to the amount you want to spend on one.
    Incra, Rockler, Woodcraft & Woodpecker have large selections to router tables.

https://incra.com/index.html

https://www.rockler.com/power-tool-a.../router-tables

https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/router-tables

Router Tables - Woodpeckers Router Tables Main Page
    mjncad, Kennyd, Bubber and 6 others like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Thanks
    Yes. I've had this one for 15 years: Router Table | Grizzly Industrial
    I love the sliding top because it allows great control and makes handling smaller pieces less dangerous. Dust collection is a real plus, given how many shavings a router puts out. I also use it to cut keyhole slots in the back of hanging items -- almost impossible to get straight with a standalone tool. (I also have a hand held router that I use for large and irregular pieces.)

When the table isn't in use, it makes a great platform for my Rockwell Bladerunner X2. The fence provides a great backstop (The Bladerunner is ideal for cutting thin metal). If you have the space and the budget, you should have both a table and a handheld. They each have very specific advantages.
    mjncad, ChrisR, Bubber and 5 others like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    Yes I also have a router table and use it all the time. Mine is self made with an Incra fence and a self made fence. Don't have a lift in it. Setup isn't that hard for me. I have used it for many things including making raised panel doors (both cabinet and entry), many yards of custom trim, dovetailed drawer boxes and cope and stick door frames. If you're a casual woodworker you may not see the need for one but things like raised panels and arch top panels for doors are pretty hard to do without a shaper or router table. So consider a router table a poor man's shaper.
    Ron
    mjncad, ChrisR, Bubber and 4 others like this.
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like most of you find them useful.

I'm thinking that something like this on my table saw might be good to save space.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81917gB-PaL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	657122

We'll see what comes up. I'm not in a super big rush.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Thanks

Router table on saw

Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like most of you find them useful.

I'm thinking that something like this on my table saw might be good to save space.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81917gB-PaL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	657122

We'll see what comes up. I'm not in a super big rush.
    I did exactly that only with a cheapo table on an inexpensive table saw. Hey, it's what I could afford at the time. I used it quite a bit when I was doing more woodworking and liked having my router always accessible but safely stored under the table. I didn't do a lot of free form routing, more edges so the table worked great for those jobs.

Treefarmer
    mjncad, Bubber, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    I use my router table more than I use a hand held router. For me, a router table is safer to use. I love the dust collection on a router table.
    I would not be without a router table.

My router table is home built with a router lift & an Incra LS positioner fence. In my opinion, a router lift is the only way to go.
    Just like tractors, it just comes down to the amount you want to spend on one.
    Incra, Rockler, Woodcraft & Woodpecker have large selections to router tables.

https://incra.com/index.html

https://www.rockler.com/power-tool-a.../router-tables

https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/router-tables

Router Tables - Woodpeckers Router Tables Main Page
    A man after my own heart! Years ago before I got into metalworking and this hook business, I was an avid woodworker myself. I too own a Incra PRL lift, LS fence, a big table with homemade cabinet, plus I have the big sled for my table saw. That Incra stuff is first rate, but probably more that the OP wants to invest in for occasional use.
    mjncad, Bubber, tj1 and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Thanks
    Having had a construction company in my past life for 30 years and also a full blown custom cabinet and counter shop, I may be a little biased. I Still have all my tools and machines. I found a shaper to be a great tool but I also found that a good router table was as handy as a shaper. Reproducing certain casings/moldings etc. is much easier (cheaper) with some of those 1/2" bits that have multiple configurations just by using the height/fence adjustments, and it is also safer than a shaper in my opinion. When you can use a router table to make raised door panels with a vertical bit vs. a high speed spinning 3.5" horizontal bit that could take your hand off in a flash or a nasty kickback you soon find out the router table is a nice addition to your shop, (easier on your mind with new employees too).. However, we built lots of custom kitchens and also did work for other carpenters in the shop that didn't have the room or the $$ to buy those tools. Also custom shaper bits can cost ya some dough.
    I have an old Craftsman table (when they made good heavy tools) and it stays put unlike some modern light weight tables that want to run around the floor, auto feed attached to the fence, dust and chip vac system and
    home made
    anti kickback devices made out of oak just by cutting bandsaw cuts into the wood like fingers that lay on their side forcing the material against the fence. Ya I know you can buy them but it was a custom shop we could make anything!
    If you are doing a once in a while project requiring a router table, don't spend a lot of money buying one, there are less expensive tables out there that will do the same thing.. Sometimes a hand held router can be difficult to use where a table solves that problem and can be set up in a very short period of time.
    Norm Abram of the This old house fame had a show where he made custom pieces of furniture and so on, and once he had a plan for a router table that actually looked pretty darned good. If you are into making things like that I'm sure you can still get the plans and buy a good router and it will be as good as any commercially sold table you can buy..
    In a nut shell, I still us mine on occasion and wouldn't be without one. Would I buy one if I didn't have one and don't do that much woodworking now,,, If you knew me that answer would be yes.. And mine is not used to store things on top!!!!!! Once a cabinet maker, always a cabinet maker.... Jeff
    mjncad, ColonyPark, Bubber and 6 others like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tj1 For This Useful Post:

Fozsey (11-23-2018), mjncad (11-18-2018)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    11-30-2019 @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    I built this one. Use it when the job calls for it.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ter-table.html
    mjncad, Bubber, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    '15 1025R TLB, Rear Blade, MiddleBuster, Lawn Roller, 40" Drop Spreader, Piranha Tooth Bar, JD Ballast Box, Titan 5' Landscape Rake
    '08 GX 345 Mower Deck, Front Snow Blade

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast