Green Tractor Talk banner

Torque Wrench

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jimmylh 
#1 ·
I am currently rebuilding my 325 Kawasaki engine. I purchased a Harbor Freight torque wrench a year ago. After reinstalling the pistons I started to torque the connecting rods and stopped. The specs are 52 inch pounds and the wrench went way past that point in my opinion. I need to buy a “real” wrench and would like your suggestions. Craftsman are on sale and I am leaning that way but would like your opinions. I am planning on a 1/2” wrench. Thanks.

#2 ·
Craftsman would be fine, but in lb. Would most likely be either 1/4" or 3/8" drive at most.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Which HF wrench were you using? Did the HF wrench have In-Lb markings? 52 in-lb would only be 4.33 ft-lb. That's pretty low. My 3/8" Craftsman only goes down to 5 ft-lb. In general I've read pretty good things about the HF torque wrenches.

I have two very old Craftsman torque wrenches. One 3/8 and one 1/2. When deciding on a size try to figure the torque range that you will use most of the time. 3/8 wrenches typically have lower torque settings on the bottom end than a 1/2. 1/2 wrench will typically have higher torque settings at the upper end. For general use and small engine work I find I use the 3/8" drive almost exclusively.

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I was wrong and meant to say 3/8. The HF was in lbs and also started at 5 lbs. I do have a HF that seems to be more accurate. I wonder if my 3/8 HF is broken. This is the second time it seems to way over tighten.

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55
#5 ·
Have a Snap On 0 - 150 inch pound and an old Craftsman 0 - 250 inch pound dial types, both very accurate.
Both are 3/8 drives.

Like the dial types for fine work over the beam or click types.

#6 ·
I have a performance tool 20-250 in/lb wrench that i use for small engines and transmission work. nice little wrench but the markings are kind of strange. 3/8 and 1/2" wrenches are both kobalt, and have been pretty good to me.

#11 ·
I agree. All three Snap On torque wrenches I own were slightly used, including Torque o meter pictured above.
Two from EBay, and my 1/2” on Craigslist from a mechanic choosing new career path.
For way less than half the retail price..

Reactions: Gebada22 and PJR832
#12 ·
While on the subject of torque wrenches, don't forget about digital torque adapters. I have one of these little A.C. Delco units. The 1/2" version goes from 4-147.6 ft-lb and the 3/8" version goes from 3-59 ft-lb. I think they have a newer version of the 1/2" that now goes to 250 ft-lb.

They cost around $63 and are very accurate and can be used with any wrench, ratchet or breaker bar. They work in both directions and the LCD display shows N-m, kg-cm, in-lb or ft-lb. It can read peak torque or be set to beep as a target torque setting is reached.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.