Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Garage heat

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-23-2019 @ 08:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts

Garage heat

So winter has settled in and work still must be done, unfortunately the single digit temps in my uninsulated garage make it tough to do a lot. I need some form of heat out there so Iím looking for suggestions.

Iíve decided to go with a portable heater of some sort, Iím not looking for something that installs permanently. I need to be able to take it with me and work in the field, and I donít know how long Iíll be in this house. Iím open to electric, diesel/ kerosene burner or propane.

What would you guys recommend? Itís a two car garage, I know exhaust fumes can be a concern burning fuel in an enclosed space so Iíd need to leave a door open or vent the exhaust somehow. Would propane be less of a concern there?
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Thanks
    My Garage is not insulated so I built a smaller super insulated room inside it I keep it warm with a smaller Oil Filled Type Electric Heater. I also keep my stuff that is not to freeze like glues and paint. Cats live in it to going thru a little hole to keep mice out! Then I use a Infer-Red ceiling mount heater above my work bench I can turn on when needed to build something and stay warm. It heats me and my bench surface not the whole garage. The I can still be warm with the doors open. Infer-Red Heat radiates on you and things and does not heat the air up. I also have a Mr. Heater 2 Head Heater that goes on 5 gallon Propane Tanks I hardly ever use it can eat little tanks fast! But if you need movable heat for a project it works thru Radiation Type heat. If I was going to try to heat my shop I would insulate it first to save money and heat better.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 12-07-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JD4044M For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2†(12-08-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,022 Posts
    I use 3 of these in my shop, but think the temps. you get up there would just laugh at them.

Great for down here, not much noise and very safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Electric.jpg
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 8 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    Back in Pennsylvania I use to use one of the 2 burner propane type. It screwed right on top of the tank and worked very well for me in my 2 car garage. I usually just left the door about half way down and never had a problem with fumes. It heated up the whole garage very nicely. I think I paid about $40.00 for it about 10 years ago at Lowes.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    I think this should be a 2 pronged approach. You need something safe for use indoors and something safe for use outdoors.

Outdoors is easy, torpedo heater all the way. I watch your videos and you need a lot of heat in a concentrated envelope. Also, I think torpedo heater because it always seems to be windy when you're working (righfully so, it's Wyoming) and that will help direct the heat where you're working.

As for indoors, I would think some sort of radiant electric heaters. Electric because no open flame, no toxic gas emissions etc. Buy a few of them since you will probably want to heat up the area in relatively short order. Also thinking buy a few of them since your garage is not insulated, so whatever the sqft rating on the unit is, cut it in half.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JDSwan87; 12-07-2018 at 09:54 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDSwan87 For This Useful Post:

56FordGuy†(12-08-2018), Herminator†(12-09-2018), JD4044M†(12-07-2018)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Regarding electric heaters, remember you only have so many amps to go around in your garage. Most electric space heaters max out at 1500 watts, (because 1500 watts is 80% of a 15 amp household circuit). If you're going to use more than one little electric space heater, you will need multiple circuits in your garage. And on top of that, you'll need even more to actually use whatever tools you've got. Electric heaters are not very practical for a shop environment unless you have electrical infrastructure in place to do it properly. Like, dedicated 240v circuits for heat.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pedals2Paddles For This Useful Post:

56FordGuy†(12-07-2018), JDSwan87†(12-07-2018)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Pedals2paddles, I hadn't thought about that, good catch.

56FG, what about a forced air ceiling mounted unit? My uncle had one plumbed to 2 100lb propane tanks, only uses it when he needs it... Garage Heaters - Heaters - The Home Depot

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, MDrew, Levi and 5 others like this.

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Thanks
    I use a Commercial 220 VAC 4 ft Radiant Heater with 8 ft of folded rod. 15 amps dedicated circuit for my Heater and Air Compressor. I would love to have a long 12 ft Gas Heated Tube one like in the Walmart's entrance in cold areas!! Like one of these.https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...RoCopMQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by JD4044M; 12-07-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Levi and 5 others like this.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    12-01-2019 @ 11:15 AM
    Thanks

I have this one I purchased from Amazon. I have a 'super-single' garage I built 4 years ago. It's 18'x24' with a 10' ceiling. Only the ceiling is insulated at this time. I keep the heater on low when it's cold here and it does a great job, even down into the single digits and below. I have a new mini split that'll be installed eventually.
    Levi, BigJim55, Marlin and 3 others like this.
    -> 2017 John Deere 1025R TLB
    -> Piranha Tooth Bar
    -> 4' County Line Tiller
    -> John Deere Ballast Box
    -> 5" County Line Scraper Blade
    -> County Line Carry-All
    -> County Line Boom Pole
    -> 36" Titan Forks
    -> Ken's Hooks
    -> HF Quick Hitch

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:41 AM
    Thanks
    As expensive as electric heaters can be to operate; I'd still go electric for the safety factor over anything that uses combustible fuels. Electric is also maintenance free for all intents and purposes.

When our furnace motor puked last month and they had to ship in a replacement; I got four of these from Home Cheapot, and with $75 off for opening a credit card they were $5 for all four. The other good part is I could move them around as needed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-500-Wa...1503,1547,1506

I also have a similar 240 volt heater; but the only outlet is in the garage.

The downside to these milkhouse heaters is they are noisy because of the fan. I like JD's suggestion of radiant heat.
    Marlin and Old Cajun like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast