Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Chainsaw sharpener

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-13-2018 @ 01:29 AM
    Thanks

Chainsaw sharpener

I need to buy a chainsaw sharpener which is easy to use and should be more consistent. I read a post Which is the best Electric Chainsaw Sharpener? (2018 Reviews) where i found two types of chainsaw sharpener oregon 511 and timber tuff cs bwm. Please suggest the best one out of these.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Wish I could help you but I just always use a file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    jdmich likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Thanks

Different direction

Not to run you off track but I've used a Granberg sharpener for years. You don't have to take the chain off the saw and it does a very nice job. It will also run off a battery so you can use it away from the shop.

The downside is that it only runs on 12v but I use a converter at home.

I can come close to factory sharpness with it. Probably not as good as a new chain, but very close.

Treefarmer
    PaDave likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    I have the Timber Tuff and use it with CBN sharpening discs. Takes no time at all to get your chain back sharp and usable. It's a bit of overkill unless you're sharpening chains a bunch of chains on a regular basis.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 AM
    Thanks
    Well, not to derail your plan or anything, and this isnt exactly what you asked for, but I was going to go the electric route a while back, but then found the Stihl 2 in 1 Easy File/Pferd CS-X Chain Sharp file.
    I cant imagine anything faster after using it.
    Takes me about 2-3 minutes to go over a 20" chain, and I can do it in the field, which is very handy, and way cheaper than just about any corded sharpener.
    glc, Stowe Boy, coaltrain and 1 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Well, not to derail your plan or anything, and this isnt exactly what you asked for, but I was going to go the electric route a while back, but then found the Stihl 2 in 1 Easy File/Pferd CS-X Chain Sharp file.
    I cant imagine anything faster after using it.
    Takes me about 2-3 minutes to go over a 20" chain, and I can do it in the field, which is very handy, and way cheaper than just about any corded sharpener.
    I used a Dremel tool until it burn up this year. I got the Pfred 2 in 1 system for Christmas, but have not tried it yet so I can't say how well it works.

Years ago I took a couple of chains to chainsaw shop and paid to have them sharpened. They ground over 1/2 the cutter off. I complained and was told me they have to grind until all cutters are the same. At that rate I would only get two sharpenings out of chain. I never went back. IIRC they charged about 1/4-1/3 the price of new high quality chain.
    glc and PaDave like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by synthia View Post
    I need to buy a chainsaw sharpener which is easy to use and should be more consistent. I read a post Which is the best Electric Chainsaw Sharpener? (2018 Reviews) where i found two types of chainsaw sharpener oregon 511 and timber tuff cs bwm. Please suggest the best one out of these.
    Lots of us have the 2-in-1 handheld sharpeners and are very happy. If you're not fully committed to electric, check out some of the comments here:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ain-brake.html
    jdmich likes this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks

Chainsaw sharpener

My full time job is cutting metal (own a machine shop), my part time job is cutting timber, and my hobby is hunting (cutting meat).. Everyday, Iím cutting something. This doesnít necessarily make me an expert but I do know how to sharpen most things.

This is what I consider to be the best thing available for homeowners and firewood cutters looking to sharpen a chainsaw chain. I use one for maintaining my chains on my smaller saws.
    (My falling saws have square ground chains, so this wonít work for them). The 2 in 1 addresses one thing that a lot of people miss which is the depth gage. If you canít get a sharp chain with this thing you might not be a good candidate for running a saw.

!!!Best 2 in 1 Chainsaw Chain Sharpener File!!! How to use/review - YouTube
    Last edited by Ortimber; 12-29-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    glc and Jeff B like this.
    JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

11. Top | #9
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ortimber View Post
    My full time job is cutting metal (own a machine shop), my part time job is cutting timber, and my hobby is hunting (cutting meat).. Everyday, Iím cutting something. This doesnít necessarily make me an expert but I do know how to sharpen most things.

This is what I consider to be the best thing available for homeowners and firewood cutters looking to sharpen a chainsaw chain. I use one for maintaining my chains on my smaller saws.
    (My falling saws have square ground chains, so this wonít work for them). The 2 in 1 addresses one thing that a lot of people miss which is the depth gage. If you canít get a sharp chain with this thing you might not be a good candidate for running a saw.

!!!Best 2 in 1 Chainsaw Chain Sharpener File!!! How to use/review - YouTube
    Fairly certain they make/brand the sharpener for Stihl too!
    mark02tj likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Thanks
    Dremel tool attachment here. It takes an hour or so to get it set up correctly at first, but once you have dialed in it does a really nice job.
    glc likes this.
    2016 3039R 165FEL / Woods RM660 / Fimco 40gal 3pt / Frontier 1060 Aerator / Frontier subsoiler / 3 pt spreader / HLA pallet forks / 6ft blade / 6ft Lucknow 3pt snowblower / $50 boom pole that never gets used anymore

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast