Buying a JD Snow Blower...Suggestions...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Buying a JD Snow Blower...Suggestions...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks

Buying a JD Snow Blower...Suggestions...

The new house has a much larger driveway, and the old single stage snow blower just ain't cutting it.

I've thought about a blade or snow blower for my x750, but my shop/shed is behind the house, and it's only grass from there to front of house. Not enough room to keep the x750 in the garage, but would have enough room for a snow blower. I'm thinking two stage.

I've seen a John Deere 826 2-Stage HEAVY DUTY Snow Blower for $375, and another 826 for $300. There is a 524 for $275 (these are FB marketplace, and of course, I can talk them down).

It's been a long time since I purchased a snow blower. I want two stage for sure.

What are the good JD snow blowers, which to stay away from.

I'm not in a rush, and can certainly wait until spring / summer to get one. Thanks, Daubs
    tj1 likes this.
    2015 John Deere x750, 60" HC Deck
    1979 Lawn-Boy 7268 ("Frank")
    2007 Lawn-Boy 10797 ("Sally")

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    I think I would make room first before buying a walk behind.
    tj1 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    I think I would make room first before buying a walk behind.
    I've got room in the garage for a walk behind. And can store it in shed/shop in the off season.

Don't have room in the garage for the x750...it sleeps in the shed/shop.
    tj1 likes this.
    2015 John Deere x750, 60" HC Deck
    1979 Lawn-Boy 7268 ("Frank")
    2007 Lawn-Boy 10797 ("Sally")

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    If I was going to buy a walk behind snow blower it would be an Ariens pro . I have a 36” Ariens that I keep at the cabine. I take care of my parents place when they head south for the winter. Dad has a 28” Ariens that I use on his driveway. The walk behinds work well in soft snow up to a foot or so. They suck on hard packed snow. A walk behind is good for smaller driveways.

I haul my tractor up to the cabine and to my parents place for the heavy snowfalls, but the walk behinds do fine for the average snowfalls. The walk behind is actually faster on my dads driveway due to maneuverability issues with the tractor.
    BigJim55 and tj1 like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

7. Top | #5
    tj1
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaubsNU1 View Post
    I've got room in the garage for a walk behind. And can store it in shed/shop in the off season.

Don't have room in the garage for the x750...it sleeps in the shed/shop.
    You can always keep the blower up an inch or two off the grass. I have a shed I do with my blower and I never scalp the grass at all and my propane tank is also cleared for fill ups.. No reason if you have room in the shed with he blower on not to go that route. Two stage for sure! If you have a cab that's the only way to go.... nice and warm and in comfort with the Machine too.
    I have no comment on the JD blowers that will fit your machine, (I'm a little biased because of a quality control issue with mine),, lots of posts in this regard though...
    Last edited by tj1; 01-13-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    jgayman and BigJim55 like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj1 View Post
    You can always keep the blower up an inch or two off the grass. I have a shed I do with my blower and I never scalp the grass at all and my propane tank is also cleared for fill ups.. No reason if you have room in the shed with he blower on not to go that route. Two stage for sure! If you have a cab that's the only way to go.... nice and warm and in comfort with the Machine too.
    I have no comment on the JD blowers that will fit your machine, (I'm a little biased because of a quality control issue with mine),, lots of posts in this regard though...
    That's for sure! I have the 54" blower on the front of my 2720 and I snow blow my yard all the time. I clear a path around the entire perimeter of the house in case there is an emergency. I also blow clear a path from the back porch to the drive way. Just raise it up off the ground slightly.

Once when we had 30" of snow I blew clear 3/4 of my back yard as I knew it would take forever to melt otherwise and I wanted early access to where I park the vehicles. :-)
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    If I was going to buy a walk behind snow blower it would be an Ariens pro . I have a 36” Ariens that I keep at the cabine. I take care of my parents place when they head south for the winter. Dad has a 28” Ariens that I use on his driveway. The walk behinds work well in soft snow up to a foot or so. They suck on hard packed snow. A walk behind is good for smaller driveways.

I haul my tractor up to the cabine and to my parents place for the heavy snowfalls, but the walk behinds do fine for the average snowfalls. The walk behind is actually faster on my dads driveway due to maneuverability issues with the tractor.
    Make sure Ariens has corrected their design flaw that exists on some recent machines. They changed the way the front plastic belt cover fits and it allows melted snow to run down the front of the engine and get on the rubber drive wheel - making the blower unable to move forward or backwards. I saw some YouTube videos on the subject from folks who had older Ariens which they were very happy with only to get a new one and have the drive problems.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Make sure Ariens has corrected their design flaw that exists on some recent machines. They changed the way the front plastic belt cover fits and it allows melted snow to run down the front of the engine and get on the rubber drive wheel - making the blower unable to move forward or backwards. I saw some YouTube videos on the subject from folks who had older Ariens which they were very happy with only to get a new one and have the drive problems.
    I haven’t heard of this before. But I do know Ariens sells a few different lines of blowers , some are sold at the box stores and aren’t the same quality as the top of the line pro models. I noticed Fleet Farm had a 28” Ariens for under $1,000 . I think the the pro models are almost $3000 at the dealer.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    If I were to buy a new walk behind blower, it would be a tracked Honda with they hydro drive.
    Plenty of traction and power, just slow your ground speed to match snow depth.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks
    I was at my local dealer earlier this week to pick up some filters and oil for BadAss and we got into a discussion about how reliable and awesome the Honda snowblowers are..... Says he sells a ton of them and he only ever did any warranty work on one seven years after he started selling them.... That's pretty amazing in my book!

Sincerely
    BigJim55 and Cutty72 like this.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast