Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Extension Ladder Feet & Levelers

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-02-2019 @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks

Extension Ladder Feet & Levelers

Morning boys! Need some advice on extension ladder feet / levelers.

Last year my Uncle was clearing out a lot of his tools after being diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. He was trying to clean up the house for my Aunt and cousins and in doing so was giving away tools and whatnot. He gave me his 28' fiberglass Type I A 300lbs extension ladder. It's in good shape and still on the original rope since it was stored in heated garage. The feet on it were in bad shape due to the bolts that secured them. I have since pulled the feet off (kept them) and I'm looking to either replace them with better feet/ fasteners or to add levelers onto the ladder to make it more stable. My property is relatively flat aside from the flower beds, the back deck and staircase, and the divots in the lawn. Much of my work is on grass or on the deck and pavement so I need grip for both.

Open to ideas as to how to rectify other than buying a new extension ladder. Same feet new hardware, different feet, levelers, etc.

Thank you guys

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 14, 1 52 41 PM.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	667262
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 14, 1 52 45 PM.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	667264
    Titleist1 and Robnik like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Thanks
    That was to easy there are lots of them for sale. https://www.google.com/search?q=exte...w=1363&bih=728
    Titleist1 and Robnik like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not familiar with that brand. I have mainly Bauer and my 30' fiberglass is Werner. I'm happy with the feet on both. They swivel/pivot on a 1/4" bolt. They have a padded foot or can be flipped up vertically and have a serrated claw type foot to bite into soil. I never heard of ladder "levelers". Our levelers are stacked up blocks of wood. I'm thinking both Bauer and Werner would sell replacements.

I did add a pole saddle to the top of all my extension ladders. It is a heavy piece of steel shaped in a "V", with a rubber pad in the center of the "V", that is mounted between the two legs, near the top step. You can set the ladder up against something round it won't dance around.

I also have "ladder gloves" on the top of all my extension ladders. They are a rubber boot that fits over the top of each leg. They prevent the ladder legs from marring the surface they are up against as well as sliding around.

I'm 61 now and I can haul/stand that 30' fiberglass---but those years are numbered now. It is a beast.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    I have the Xtenda-Leg Ladder Levelers on my 32' extension ladder and I swear by them! They work awesome!

Sincerely
    keane, Titleist1 and Robnik like this.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,301 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    I'm not familiar with that brand. I have mainly Bauer and my 30' fiberglass is Werner. I'm happy with the feet on both. They swivel/pivot on a 1/4" bolt. They have a padded foot or can be flipped up vertically and have a serrated claw type foot to bite into soil. I never heard of ladder "levelers". Our levelers are stacked up blocks of wood. I'm thinking both Bauer and Werner would sell replacements.
    You must have fairly level ground. Around here everything is on a slope and using a ladder unassisted can be treacherous. A lot of companies make various types of bolt-on levelers. Some of the Little Giant ladders come with them as standard equipment.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leveler.jpg  
    Zebrafive, Titleist1 and Robnik like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks

Beastly ladders

I did add a pole saddle to the top of all my extension ladders. It is a heavy piece of steel shaped in a "V", with a rubber pad in the center of the "V", that is mounted between the two legs, near the top step. You can set the ladder up against something round it won't dance around.

I also have "ladder gloves" on the top of all my extension ladders. They are a rubber boot that fits over the top of each leg. They prevent the ladder legs from marring the surface they are up against as well as sliding around.

I'm 61 now and I can haul/stand that 30' fiberglass---but those years are numbered now. It is a beast.
    I've got a 24' or 26' similar to yours and I really don't like setting it up by myself. I do it but it's a load for sure, particularly if I have to raise the extension while it's vertical and lay it down on the edge of the roof. We've got a 40' at the farm and that one is definitely a 2 person ladder. I like being on a fiberglass ladder but aluminum is sure lighter to set up. I can tell you, another few years don't help.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    12-02-2019 @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks

The feet that were on it had the rubber pads for smooth surfaces and the glass for wet and soft terrain. Those were the ones that were in piss poor shape and were unstable so I removed them. Wasn't sure if it was ideal to slap the same things on or upgrade. I don't do professional work daily with ladders so I wanted some feedback from some of the guys who rely upon them daily.

Quote Originally Posted by HomesteadJoe View Post
    I have the Xtenda-Leg Ladder Levelers on my 32' extension ladder and I swear by them! They work awesome!

Sincerely
    Oh those looks good. The feet rotate in both directions to have pads or claws?

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You must have fairly level ground. Around here everything is on a slope and using a ladder unassisted can be treacherous. A lot of companies make various types of bolt-on levelers. Some of the Little Giant ladders come with them as standard equipment.

My property is quite level yes. That doesn't mean there won't be a time when you get stuck with a foot on one surface and the other on the opposite. Never fails
    Titleist1 and JD4044M like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Thanks
    I don't have enough weight to stand one unless I can jam the end against the building! At 130 lbs me and a 28-30 ft ladder is a job getting it up and down. Hurt my back a couple times in the past now I get help. Once up I can walk with one done it many times unless it is windy! When I worked for a contractor many years ago I set up a 16 ft Red Top 3 legged ladder to change some bulbs out. Set up the ladder went to the track and on the way back saw the ladder was not standing up! The wind had blew it over and it hit 3 Brand New cars and one had a vinyl top that got torn! Glad my boss had insurance and I still had a job for 7 more years after that but never had a ladder fall again! They got tied down before I walked away.
    keane, Titleist1 and nastorino like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks

It's still a challenge

Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    I don't have enough weight to stand one unless I can jam the end against the building! At 130 lbs me and a 28-30 ft ladder is a job getting it up and down. Hurt my back a couple times in the past now I get help. Once up I can walk with one done it many times unless it is windy! When I worked for a contractor many years ago I set up a 16 ft Red Top 3 legged ladder to change some bulbs out. Set up the ladder went to the track and on the way back saw the ladder was not standing up! The wind had blew it over and it hit 3 Brand New cars and one had a vinyl top that got torn! Glad my boss had insurance and I still had a job for 7 more years after that but never had a ladder fall again! They got tied down before I walked away.
    I've got 70-80 lbs on you and it's still a challenge to set a ladder up full length. I won't do it by myself in the wind. I'm really starting to think that for anything over 30', a rental lift might look like a good deal. Get one of the towable lifts and ride up rather than climb. I may change my mind once in a bucket, I took a test ride in one but only about 20' high. That was ok although bouncy. I'm not sure how I could feel at 40-50' in the air. I guess it's not the fall that hurts, just the landing.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I've got 70-80 lbs on you and it's still a challenge to set a ladder up full length. I won't do it by myself in the wind. I'm really starting to think that for anything over 30', a rental lift might look like a good deal. Get one of the towable lifts and ride up rather than climb. I may change my mind once in a bucket, I took a test ride in one but only about 20' high. That was ok although bouncy. I'm not sure how I could feel at 40-50' in the air. I guess it's not the fall that hurts, just the landing.

Treefarmer
    I know OSHA is watching roofing contractors and tree workers and those who work on ladders and up in the air much more closely than they used to. One local roofing contractor was fined $10,000 for their workers not using the safety tether lines. Also, a local tree company was fined and it put the company out of business and the owner liquidated all the equipment to pay the fines, eliminating about a dozen jobs. Apparently with the reduction in manufacturing jobs in the U.S., OSHA has more time to spend on the small contractors and others they usually only got involved with before if something happened.

You talk to many of those who work on residential roofs and they find the safety lines more of a trip hazard than a safety benefit. The owners keep telling their workers to use the harnesses and use the safety lines and if they aren't there to watch every minute, the workers stop using them, which is about when the OSHA people drive up and start taking pictures............

Recently, I rented the lift for working on the lights at the peak of my house and my neighbors. Even at only 30 to 35 feet high, in the lift you feel a bit more secure than on a ladder, but I sure would hate to fall from that height. At least in the lift, you can work with both hands and move around a bit where on the ladder, it's hard to do much more than right in front of you or arms reach length. You have to always use two hands to operate the lift controls so it keeps you focused on what you are doing.

The day I was up in the lift, which was New Years Day, the wind was whipping pretty good and I sure wouldn't have wanted to be on a ladder. The light I ordered for one of the sites didn't fit the bracket which came with it, that meant going up and down with the lift probably a dozen times overall.......... ...

I have had about a dozen orthopedic surgeries and another 7 or 8 on my spine and I have to tell you that there aren't too many people I would wish to go through those....that's the problem with a fall from that height of 30 feet, if you live, it's likely going to be a long difficult and painful process to endure.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast