Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: I need easy to use trimmer

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-24-2019 @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks

I need easy to use trimmer

That is what I need. I want to give my sister a present because she got a house with a small yard and she wants to turn that yard into a playground for her kids, but she wants to maintain it herself. So, I need a trimmer which is easy to use and simple to handle. Preferably with telescopic shaft. I tried to look for one online and I have found million sites like weedeaterhero.com whcih aren't bad, because I decided to go with electric one, not gas one. So, actually I was thinking of Greenworks trimmer, what do you think? is it ok or is it some cheap low-quality tool that will break too quickly?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SlayerJake View Post
    That is what I need. I want to give my sister a present because she got a house with a small yard and she wants to turn that yard into a playground for her kids, but she wants to maintain it herself. So, I need a trimmer which is easy to use and simple to handle. Preferably with telescopic shaft.
    My mother-in-law bought a corded Black & Decker string trimmer at Home Depot (~$50). I use it when I visit her. It's surprisingly powerful and not too heavy. I'm not sure I understand the need for a telescoping shaft. That will probably add weight and cost.
    (I had a Weedeater ultralight about 20 years ago. The spark plug socket broke and it lost compression. Very cheaply made, at least back then.)
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,305 Posts
    You get what you pay for - period. In order of quality - Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna. There are many more but I would stay away from all the big box store ones. Buy a quality unit from a reputable servicing dealer.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    Mom has a Dewalt battery powered trimmer. She maintains the cemetery grounds so it gets used weekly around hundreds of headstones and trees, for 3 or 4 years now, as well as the trimming around the farm. No issues, she loves it.
    Had a Craftsman before, was ok but the batteries sucked.
    I had a black and decker when I lived in town, wasn't impressed.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    My ex-wife has an EGO battery powered mower that she got from Home Depot. It's been two seasons so far and she seems pretty happy with it. She also bought the trimmer that uses the same battery. Also happy with it.

The only "complaint" is that it doesn't have enough charge to mow her entire lawn. So, she mows the back, takes a break while the batteries recharge, and then mows the front. She doesn't mind it, but that would drive me crazy!

If she was to be in the market again for one of these, I'd probably push her towards the Stihl line of battery operated lawn equipment. Not too much more money, but the repair/warranty support is probably a LOT better.

We do have one local, long-time mower shop that sells the EGO line of equipment. This shop was already a fixture in the lawn equipment business back when I worked on mowers in the early 80's, so the fact that they think enough of this line says a lot to me about the potential quality.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    I had a B&D trimmer that never performed very well. I threw it away and bought a Milwaukee M18 cordless trimmer last year. This is a professional heavy duty trimmer that has nearly the same capabilities as a heavy duty gas trimmer. I highly recommend this trimmer. Expensive, but this is one time you really do get what you pay for. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trimmer.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	668638
    fdmars and arlen like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    You get what you pay for - period. In order of quality - Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna. There are many more but I would stay away from all the big box store ones. Buy a quality unit from a reputable servicing dealer.
    I didn't even realize those folks made corded trimmers (my stuff is all Stihl gas or battery powered). They're twice the cost of the big box deals, but I agree they'll outlast everything else. If I had lots of money, would get the entre line of Stihl battery powered tools. My extended reach hedge trimmer is fantastic. The only down side is that Stihl uses three incompatible battery profiles for the homeowner (AI, AK), prosumer & pro (AP, AR) devices.
    Last edited by RodW; 01-24-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    coaltrain likes this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    I didn't even realize those folks made corded trimmers (my stuff is all Stihl gas or battery powered). They're twice the cost of the big box deals, but I agree they'll outlast everything else. If I had lots of money, would get the entre line of Stihl battery powered tools. My extended reach hedge trimmer is fantastic. The only down side is that Stihl uses three incompatible battery profiles for the homeowner (AK), prosumer, (AP) and pro (AR) devices.
    I don’t know if they have corded trimmers but they have a whole line of battery products.

STIHL Battery Products | STIHL USA
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,286 Posts
    I know most folks don't have much good to say about Black and Decker but I have owned their LST136 40V cordless string trimmer for 4 years and have nothing but good things to say about it. It's light weight and the battery lasts forever. I can do all of my trimming which typically takes about 40+ mins and still have battery left. The string spools last forever. A spool of string will last me all summer. No kidding. I bought a 3-pack of pre-wound spools from Amazon for $19 and I still have 2 spools remaining. It has variable speed so if you are trimming delicate grass you can turn the speed down to further conserve battery life. If this trimmer broke tomorrow I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

This trimmer is around $130 on Amazon with battery and charger. I also have one of B&D's 40V hedge trimmers which is the reason I originally bought this particular unit so I could share batteries. But it turned out to be a much better trimmer than first thought.

This isn't a trimmer I would recommend if you are planning to weed wack your fields every week but if you are doing normal yard-type trimming it is hard to beat. I've since given away all my other gas powered trimmers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LST136.jpg  
    Last edited by jgayman; 01-24-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    Neb and TheOtherChris like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I don’t know if they have corded trimmers but they have a whole line of battery products.

STIHL Battery Products | STIHL USA
    Stihl makes good stuff but their battery powered tools are crazy expensive and you typically have to purchase the battery and charger separately.
    fdmars and coaltrain like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast