Portable Sawmills...Whatcha got..?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Portable Sawmills...Whatcha got..?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks

Portable Sawmills...Whatcha got..?

So I recently bought a LT 15 Woodmizer.

Got it set up under a pos carport thing I modified to be taller.

2 gantry cranes to load logs.

This isn't my permanent placement but flat ground is scarce on my 5 acres.

Got a few ceder logs to mill into siding? or not.

House needs new siding but these dam Boxelder bugs cling to anything ceder ...painted or not.
    I suppose thats a different topic.

Curious if any of ya'll are in to Sawmills?

Dan in Oregon

I'll see if my pics will post
    Last edited by theduke; 04-11-2019 at 01:10 AM.
    mark02tj and JD4044M like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    site is not in the mood to load my pics.

I'll try this again later tomorrow....dam!T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190117_081023612_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg  
    Last edited by theduke; 04-11-2019 at 01:32 AM.
    Gizmo2, Bubber, mark02tj and 3 others like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    My Log loading trailer and pic of the mill when purchased.
    Its been on 3 different trailers and I'm still looking for the correct one.
    This is the 1st
    pic above is 2nd try..nice tilt deck ..too short.

I'll get a current pic on the 3rd and the cranes.

Man this site is horrible tonite to load pics.
    They usually fly through in a few seconds vs. minutes

Anyway this is what I have..Not much to see yet .
    Who else is into milling??

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181112_141748045.jpg  
    Last edited by theduke; 04-11-2019 at 01:39 AM.
    Dan

Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    I have a small pile of logs and an Alaskan Mill, but have not put the two together yet. I'd love to have a "real" sawmill, but it's clearly a case of want, not need. I love watching sawmill videos on YouTube and regularly go down that rathole. I am interested to follow your use of it.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I have a small pile of logs and an Alaskan Mill, but have not put the two together yet. I'd love to have a "real" sawmill, but it's clearly a case of want, not need. I love watching sawmill videos on YouTube and regularly go down that rathole. I am interested to follow your use of it.
    Are we related???
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post

Yes ..Youtube cost me a small fortune. I follow a guy " Josaljowon"..He's a smart fellow with just the right attitude.
    Got me hooked . We'll see how it goes. Odd as it sounds there isn't much for good wood in Oregon. Sure theres little bits of hardwood here and there but nothing like the South or East. Mostly Fir ,Hemlock ,Ceder (scarce and spendy) then Oak , most the Oak is the tall spindally worthless type. There are a few old Fat ones though.
    Mill is mainly for fun and if it can turn profitable that would be great.
    Bubber, BigJim55, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    Dan

Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Everyone likes pics so after an hour of trying ,failing,trying,had a rum&coke,tryed again.
    We have a bit of success...but one got deleted ...

First couple show the mill on its newer longer cheaper trailer(250) with some leveling jacks added.
    2 Gantry cranes with 2 hoists each ,1 electric and a manuEL..Under the much modified Big Top.
    A true circus this will be when I finally put the blade to the log.

Last pic is control station for the log trailer. Theres 7100 lbs of Ceder in the 4 logs.
    I'll attempt to add that pic back but will probly lose everything.

Likely just add it seperate in a following post to avoid ripping out my last few remaining hairs.

Enjoy ,pile on,show me what you got.

I'm in this apparent fun show about 13k
    Mill is older but low hour
    3 support trailers...well actually 5...couple tiny ones too
    Saws ,hoists,gantrys..various doodads like the cordless drill operated trailer mule in one pic way up there^^^^
    Peavys,prybars ,wedges,slings and other lifting things...This better be as fun as others make it look.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190411_130314453.jpg   IMG_20190411_130046830.jpg   IMG_20190411_130012085.jpg   IMG_20190411_130255785.jpg  
    Last edited by theduke; 04-11-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    Bubber, BigJim55, mark02tj and 2 others like this.
    Dan

Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Finally whittled up a few short oak logs.

Yep..it makes a mess and the dust is fine and wet so clean-up with the Milwaukie blower is not going as hoped..

Gonna rip into some bugged up fir next....trying to get my head wrapped around how best to cut up the Ceder for lap siding.

Its a learning curve and I'm double dum..Zero experiance..its trial by error and YT.

You only get one chance. Theres a ton of waste in this hobby and I have no use for the byproduct.

Got a huge( 30x90)All ceder shop...burning to heat it just dosen't seem smart..I give away all my firewood/scraps to my Nephew or neighbors.

Shurly some of you folks are in to Saw Mills...Don't be scared..Show us what you got.

Dan

Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 1,137 Posts
    no small saw mills like what ya u got around here but 1. never stopped to look up close to it-oh.

so i know why u want to keep it under something to keep it dry and all, but............is that why u got the gantry cranes to pick the log up-and then slide it back and onto the bed of saw mill
    that is the first of that kind i have ever seen then like that. its different for sure. so all ur lumber u cut-has to be taken out like that, since the sides are closed off. right.
    good luck and i too often go down the rabbit hole on u-tube watching saw mill videos. and little saw mills of the old kind.
    Bubber and JD4044M like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Oh no, might get dragged back into milling

I bought a Woodmizer LT30 probably 20 years ago and ran it as much as I could for a few years before kids, job etc. got too busy. I'd like to get back into it whenever I give up the day job.

With good logs and a good set up, about 1,000 bd ft a day was all I could reasonably do. I learned that it was better for me to do almost all the work rather than having anyone else around the mill. If I was cutting now, I'd try to set up a roller ramp to slide boards down to someone stacking. If I was trying to cut any production, I'd sell my mill and get one with hydraulics.

I made a little money doing custom sawing but the issue was the cost of liability insurance. I wasn't able to run it enough to cover that and other expenses and finally ended up just cutting for our use and a few friends with special requests. It was really nice to be able to cut oak fence boards to rebuild cattle pens and chute after a fire burned up the old one. I also cut a fair amount of poplar siding for a friends barn. I didn't taper it but just cut 3/4" rough cut. It dried to about 5/8 and matched the original pretty well.

I think if I go back to cutting, I'd buy a lapsider attachment. I think I could sell poplar siding fairly easily and we have a lot of poplar. It mills well and is a nice wood. I built our kids playhouse out of it and it's still standing while the kids are all grown and out on their own.

Eastern red cedar and walnut are both fun to mill but the sawdust is rough on my sinuses. As much as possible, I always tried to set up so the wind was from my back and side so as I was cutting the dust would fly away from me. Even with a drop chute on the mill, dust flies around and a little steady breeze is really nice.

I used a 2,000 lb winch to load logs if I wasn't around the farm where a tractor was available. I had a 8,000 lb winch on my truck that I would use on really big logs. Loop the cable over the top of the log, run it underneath and hook into the mill. As the winch tightened, the loop pulled the log and made it roll so you can move a really large log that way. It just takes a little care to get large logs to move up the ramps evenly but a little touch with a cant hook on one end or the other will keep things straight.

The Woodmizer Resharp service is worth IHMO. I have the grinder and setter and can sharpen and set a blade but they do a better job and it's not worth my time to sharpen the blades unless I just want to try a different angle or set. There are so many options available now, I doubt I will ever sharpen another blade.

Enjoy your mill. I've had absolutely beautiful wood come out of what I thought were ordinary logs. I've had beautiful logs turn out to have interior defects or metal in them. The Woodmizer will cut soft nails but spikes or tramp metal will mean a broken blade. Scared the crap out of me the first time I broke a blade but never had a real safety issue as the broken blade always stayed in the cut. I have had he. . getting a broken blade out of a log. I learned to always take a chainsaw, axe, cant hooks, wedges etc. with me.

Treefarmer
    Bubber, mark02tj, theduke and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast