Like Tree78Likes

Thread: MS290 Not Oiling Properly

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Thanks

MS290 Not Oiling Properly

I have a Stihl MS290.

Last year I stuck my good bar in a tree. I used the old bar / chain to get it back out.

The old bar / chain was cutting pretty good and I just left it on the saw.

Yesterday it started to cut poorly and it shouldn't have (chain was just sharpened....) I finished with another saw and today I tore it down to clean it and check it out.

There was some sawdust / dirt in the oiler channel and evidence that the oil had been going elsewhere.

Cleaned everything up and put the newer bar back on the saw along with a new chain.

When I started the saw to run in the chain I wasn't getting any oil off of the chain, but it was dripping out from under the saw.

The bar, including the hole for the oil is clean. I doubled checked and the hole in the bar is lining up properly. I ran the saw without the bar and the oil is coming out from the right spot.

I flipped the bar over and tried it again and the same result.

This bar has been used on this saw and it has worked fine. So, what am I screwing up?
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    How to Fix Chain Oil Problems on a Stihl Chain Saw MS290 | Home Guides | SF Gate

found this article

sounds like theres a adjusting screw on the bottom of saw that could be out of whack or clogged oil passage in the bar.
    Gizmo2 and rtgt like this.
    JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

4. The Following User Says Thank You to theduke For This Useful Post:

rtgt(04-14-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:32 AM
    Thanks
    I don't have any experience with that EXACT saw (MS 290), but most Stihls should be similar, did you check the thin metal shims/spacers/guides that go on either side of the bar at the securing bolts? If I remember, there is a slot for the oil passage that meets up with the hole in the bar for the oil to go through. Is it possible that they are reversed? I don't remember if the slot is on both sides of the bolt holes (above and below), or just one side. Those shims usually stay in place on the saw and cover, but I have seen some come loose when changing the bar. Just a guess. Make sure your just not blocking the oil passage.

Second thing I would check is the oil hose coming out of the oil tank to the pump. On one of my saws, that hose has the larger plug that goes through the wall of the tank, with the pickup hose on one side and a short piece that leads to the pump inlet. When that saw was brand new, that short piece had a hole/was torn, it threw oil when revved up against a piece of cardboard, but when it was cutting, there wasn't anywhere near enough oil for the chain. And when I placed the saw down, it left a puddle. That piece of hose is under the spacer/shim on the motor side. The puddle was the oil just dripping out of that holey short hose because my bar oil tank was full. On the first cut with the new saw, it smoked in a cut, but it did throw oil when revved. I brought it back to the dealer because it was brand new, they said they checked it out (I heard them revving it in the back), and they brought out the cardboard to show me. Took it home and tried it in a cut, and it just started smoking again. I had to find the problem myself and show the "experienced" service guy the split hose. They offered to fix it then, and I told them I'd do it myself.

Just my 2 cents.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and rtgt like this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

rtgt(04-14-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    I don't have any experience with that EXACT saw (MS 290), but most Stihls should be similar, did you check the thin metal shims/spacers/guides that go on either side of the bar at the securing bolts?

Shims? I do not remember this saw having any shims. Maybe it is needing some.

If I remember, there is a slot for the oil passage that meets up with the hole in the bar for the oil to go through. Is it possible that they are reversed? I don't remember if the slot is on both sides of the bolt holes (above and below), or just one side.

There is a slot for the oil and it does meet up the the hole in the bar. (and it is clean)

Those shims usually stay in place on the saw and cover, but I have seen some come loose when changing the bar. Just a guess. Make sure your just not blocking the oil passage.

Actually I am wondering the exact opposite. I am doubting that the bar is getting tighten up flat against the saw for the oil to go into the bar and it is instead oozing out around it.

Second thing I would check is the oil hose coming out of the oil tank to the pump. On one of my saws, that hose has the larger plug that goes through the wall of the tank, with the pickup hose on one side and a short piece that leads to the pump inlet. When that saw was brand new, that short piece had a hole/was torn, it threw oil when revved up against a piece of cardboard, but when it was cutting, there wasn't anywhere near enough oil for the chain. And when I placed the saw down, it left a puddle. That piece of hose is under the spacer/shim on the motor side. The puddle was the oil just dripping out of that holey short hose because my bar oil tank was full. On the first cut with the new saw, it smoked in a cut, but it did throw oil when revved. I brought it back to the dealer because it was brand new, they said they checked it out (I heard them revving it in the back), and they brought out the cardboard to show me. Took it home and tried it in a cut, and it just started smoking again. I had to find the problem myself and show the "experienced" service guy the split hose. They offered to fix it then, and I told them I'd do it myself.

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I have never really be into a chainsaw before so I am hoping that it is something that shims will fix.

Oil is only coming out from under the chain cover so I think it is getting there, just not through the hole and onto the chain.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

Z915E
    XUV560

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    How to Fix Chain Oil Problems on a Stihl Chain Saw MS290 | Home Guides | SF Gate

found this article

sounds like theres a adjusting screw on the bottom of saw that could be out of whack or clogged oil passage in the bar.
    Thanks. I'll check out the link.

The screw on the bottom sets the flow rate for the oiler.

The oil passage in the bar is clean.

Z915E
    XUV560

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:32 AM
    Thanks
    Here are some pics from my "vintage" MS361.

There is only 1 "shim/spacer" and it is on the motor side. I forgot that it is held on by a screw, so loss would be not too likely.

Maybe it's the short hose I posted about earlier, it can get old and crack/split too.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20190414_224534101.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	681498

Name:	IMG_20190414_224643549.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	681500

Good Luck.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and rtgt like this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

rtgt(04-15-2019)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:31 AM
    Thanks
    Let me give this a shot. When you run the saw without the bar oil is coming out of the housing. In looking at the bar the hole for the oil should line up with where the oil is coming out of the housing. If all of the above is true take a close look at the bar there is a tunnel or small hole that gets the oil from the body to the grove where the chain runs. If a small piece of wood gets jammed in the tunnel it stops the oil from getting to the grove where the chain runs. Hope this makes some sense. Been there done that.

Doug
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, PaDave and 2 others like this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Humbolt 3-Bag 12 Bushel PTO Grass Catcher

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

rtgt(04-15-2019)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,961 Times in 2,141 Posts
    Just to be sure - are you making sure the oil hole in the bar is clean when you are cleaning it? This is always plugged up on my saw when I remove the chain.

Name:	9D76C58A-5951-4D92-9BB5-08853D3279B4.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	681524
    Tomfive, rtgt and blue87fj60 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is Power, Ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2 | Artillian 36" Forks w/Backrest | Markham Tooth Bar | iMatch Hitch | Heavy Hitch & Cart | Edge Tamers |
    My Personal Weather Station

15. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

rtgt(04-15-2019)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks
    rtgt - Your profile indicates you live in Kentucky, but not where in the state. If you are anywhere near Portsmouth, OH, the oldest operated Stihl dealership in America still operates on the main drag of Beaver, Ohio. pm me if you want more details; I know this shop, the owners and workers real well.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    I have a Stihl MS290.

Last year I stuck my good bar in a tree. I used the old bar / chain to get it back out.

The old bar / chain was cutting pretty good and I just left it on the saw.

Yesterday it started to cut poorly and it shouldn't have (chain was just sharpened....) I finished with another saw and today I tore it down to clean it and check it out.

There was some sawdust / dirt in the oiler channel and evidence that the oil had been going elsewhere.

Cleaned everything up and put the newer bar back on the saw along with a new chain.

When I started the saw to run in the chain I wasn't getting any oil off of the chain, but it was dripping out from under the saw.

The bar, including the hole for the oil is clean. I doubled checked and the hole in the bar is lining up properly. I ran the saw without the bar and the oil is coming out from the right spot.

I flipped the bar over and tried it again and the same result.

This bar has been used on this saw and it has worked fine. So, what am I screwing up?
    etcallhome, Tomfive and rtgt like this.
    Best Regards,

Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft Finishing Mower
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    4X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PikeCoGreenTractorMan For This Useful Post:

rtgt(04-15-2019)

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post
    Here are some pics from my "vintage" MS361.

There is only 1 "shim/spacer" and it is on the motor side. I forgot that it is held on by a screw, so loss would be not too likely.

Maybe it's the short hose I posted about earlier, it can get old and crack/split too.

Name:	IMG_20190414_224534101.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	681498

Name:	IMG_20190414_224643549.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	681500

Good Luck.
    My saw has never had that part. The bar is sandwiched in between the case and the cover. Both of which are plastic.

I followed a link TheDuke sent and another link from it that gave instructions on the tear down to get to the oil line. Hoping since all of the oil in making it to the side of the saw I don't have to go there.

If this makes sense, it is coming out where it should, but instead of getting into the bar, it is running down the case.
    etcallhome and Tomfive like this.

Z915E
    XUV560

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast