2-stoke oil, Opti-2, my experience

Thread: 2-stoke oil, Opti-2, my experience

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:38 PM
    Thanks

2-stoke oil, Opti-2, my experience

Hi all,
    This might be a lot shorter than some would like (and longer than others would like), and with a lot less technical info too, but here we go.
    Also, the point of this isnt to say one thing is better than another, rather, just my unscientific observation of one particular oil over a long period of time, with several different pieces of equipment.
    And finally, a bit clearer stated, this isnt mean to be any kind of "best oil" debate. Its simply information for you to use or not use at your discretion.

Ive seen a number threads and articles all over the web about 2 stroke equipment, maintenance, oils, etc. I see that most people replace fuel lines, filters, etc, fairly regularly due to breakdown and breakage. This was a fairly new thing for me. I had never needed to do any of that, but Ive been using 2 stroke stuff since before the internet was a big deal and forums existed, so I guess I didnt know I was supposed to have issues.
    Back in the early 2000s, 2002 is my best guess, I bought a new Deere BP60 backpack blower, Deere XT120 trimmer, and around 2004-5 a Husqvarna Rancher 55.
    With the exception of the first 2-3 tanks through the Husky, Ive run Opti-2 oil in them.
    I have never replaced anything fuel related on either the blower or trimmer. They were both used commercially or I guess Id call it "light commercial" (I had between 6-10 lawns from very small to 2+ acres) for quite a few years.
    They still start on the 2nd or 3rd pull after sitting all Winter. They still run perfect.
    I dont put any extra stabilizer in them, and I never ran ethanol free gas until just 2 years ago.
    Apparently this is an anomaly.
    I was actually told by a guy a few years back over on WFM that I was lying, and that there was no way I had an XT120 that still ran, let alone started that easy if I used it at all during the time Ive owned it because he knew they were junk. I invited him to come use it for himself, and he never accepted.
    The Rancher 55 was known to have some issues with the jug/piston, and they werent know to last all that long.
    Mine still starts pretty easy, and has plenty of power, although its been relegated to the "backup" saw now.
    Ive been told its snake oil, and no way anyone could run even 70:1 and get any kind of life out of any 2 stroke doing that. Opti recommends up to 100:1, though their 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon pouches are about 70:1 and 75:1 (give or take), and I run about that same mix.
    And the same mix works in everything. Why? I cant tell you, but it does.
    I had an old Lawn Boy snowthrower that wouldnt run for more than a minute or so, smoked and spit oil out the exhaust. I got it dirt cheap, just to play with.
    I put that mix in it and used it for 2 Winters, then sold it. It ran without smoking nearly as bad, and not much "extra" out the exhaust.
    Mostly I see guys who are skeptical argue against using it, who havent tried it, and might be afraid to.
    I bought a couple other Lawn Boys during that time to fix and sell, and they both ran wonderfully on that mix too. One I kept for several years for my own use.

Anyway, my point of all of this is that I used it based on the recommendation of the dealer initially, and a few online reviews from way back, or I likely wouldnt have tried it. I didnt know squat about 2 stroke oil, other than you need it for 2 strokes, and different mixes for different equipment.
    We had a couple lawn boys when I was growing up, and a Craftsman trimmer and saw. That was about my limit of 2 stroke experience until I bought my own stuff.

I dont know why my stuff works like it does, but its not likely I got several of the best pieces produced in the different lines, so I have to think it has something to do with the mix I use.

Anyone else had similar experiences with any other oils?
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Thanks
    I use Stihl regular oil since about 1996 when I bought a 034 chainsaw new. I have run that saw through cords and cords of hardwood. Still starts on second pull. Bought a Toro flapper wheel snowblower with a B&S 2 stroke and have been using stihl oil in it for 5 years, runs like a top and I give it a beating. Use it in a echo leaf blower, model 250 something known for running problems, runs like a champ maybe 7 years. Stihl string trimmer, stihl 250 saw and 180 saw. All run on stihl oil 50;1 and never empty the gas out in the winter. I did clean the spark plug once on the 034.
    Last edited by Nuke; 05-10-2019 at 05:51 PM.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    We have used Opti-2 where I work (a govt fleet with over 2200 vehicles) for as long as I can remember. Can't say I have ever heard of anyone having any issues and I use it myself in my Stihl powerhead which like you, starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull year round. Its gotta be 7-8 years old now and still runs like it was new.
    PS.....I only use the single use 'squeeze tubes' but I know they make it in bigger containers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    I use amsoil 100:1, mixed about 75:1. The first time I tried it my 260g went from uncomfortable hot against my arm when one handing it to reasonable. 8 oz lasts a few years for me.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:38 PM
    Thanks
    Amsoil was one of the others I was thinking of. I knew there was another that recommended high ratios. Maybe another one too.

Anyway, it seems like maybe other than the oil helping, Im sure taking care of equipment and not abusing it to the ends of the earth helps too.

This was just something I was curious about and never had posted about, or read much about.
    I know over on a couple chainsaw forums, those guys seem fairly scared, or maybe leery is a better word, of the 100:1 or even 75:1 ratio.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Thanks
    I always use Husqvarna oil at 50:1 mix.

I picked up a used Husy 55 Rancher at auction for cheap. The muffler was loose, I figured, just needed tightening. WRONG, the nuts would not move either direction. Previous owner damaged the cylinder and one side by exhaust was snapped off. The "fork" the square headed muffler bolt goes into was what was broken.

So my cheap Rancher is not turning out so cheap.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements