Need a new chain saw. Echo vs Stihl - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Need a new chain saw. Echo vs Stihl

1. Top | #21
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:09 AM
    Thanks
    i absolutly like my echo timber wolf has plenty of power and a 20 inch bar it has done a good job for me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture0422181729_1.jpg  
    JKR likes this.
    brian
    2016 2032r, h130 fel, 62d mmm, ballast box, frontier box blade bb20065,jd I match quick hitch, frontier land plane lp1160, jd independent mower lift, kens bolt on hooks, artillian forks and front hoe bucket, r2 3" edge tamer tarter 6 foot land rake

1989 jd 826 walk behind snow blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #22
    SRG
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    My MS 362 R C-M doesn't have one and I bought it last fall. Maybe the home or farm ones have a bulb.
    I'm solely talking about the MS250, which is the largest of the "homeowner" saws, according to Stihls site. I've seen them with and without the primer bulb. It's helpful on starting when you run the saw out of fuel, or if it's sat for a long time.
    Old Cajun likes this.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [Woods HBL72-2 rear blade, 72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

4. Top | #23
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,321 Posts
    My purchase decision would be based upon the dealer's service and location. My friend that I buy everything from that isn't Green sells Echo, Husqvarna and other brands. Depending upon the saw size and the buyers needs, he goes back and forth between those two brands as different size saws one brand seems to be preferred over another. Basically, he says if you want the top throttle / handle machine for a smaller trimming saw, hands down, the Echo saw is favored. Get into saws over 18" of bar length and initially, the Husqvarna saws excel and then in the very large saws, it actually goes back and forth between the two brands. There isn't a simple answer as to "What's Best" as it depends upon the need, the person using it and how they are using it.

For quick cutting of wood under 10" in diameter, I will grab my 58v Echo battery saw and that thing is simply amazing. It buzzes through wood like crazy and nothing but the noise of the chain rotating. Just yesterday, a neighbor was trimming a Mulberry tree and asked for my help. The first project, was getting the large lower limbs which were 8" to 10" in diameter dropped off the tree to create clearance over this driveway. We are both on ladders and he goes up the ladder and tries to start his saw while balanced on the ladder. He ended up coming back down on the ground to get it running and then climbed back up the ladder carrying the saw running. I had my 58v battery Echo saw and it's safer to be climbing without the saw running. I reached the top of the ladder, unlock the safety switch with my thumb and squeeze the trigger and saw is cutting. Let off the trigger and remove your thumb from the safety switch and saw is off. A MUCH SAFER way to deal with cutting off an elevated position.....

I would suggest personally handling the saws and feeling the balance, feel, control positions, etc. and you can't go wrong with either of the two brands you asked about. I have owned and used Echo 2 stroke products for 20 years and never had a reason to send any of the tools to the shop. I always run the "Tru Fuel" equivalent (different brand) in my 2 stroke equipment and just don't have any issues with carbs, power, etc.

In fact, I was cutting wood this winter with another friend who has a Stihl saw and he ran out of his fuel which he mixes and I filled his saw with the Premium, No Ethanol fuel and he couldn't believe the difference in cutting power, less smoke, started easier. He said "That stuff is like Nitro Methane in a can". Made a believer out of him.

Yes, it's expensive, but I hate unreliable and poor performing equipment and running the "Tru Fuel" type products, I have never had a fuel issue. A gallon of fuel will cut a lot of wood and unless someone is cutting wood for a living and always running fuel through their saw, using the special fuel assures you when you pick up the saw to use it, it will start easily and run.........

Also, as you know, the new saws come with chains on them which are designed to "be safer" in the event of a kick back, etc. I always replace those chains with chains which my local shop makes out of bulk chain spools and the cutting performance is much better. I usually carry at least 2 spare chains in the case and swap them out when the cutting starts to dull. I haven't mastered the "field file sharpening" of the chains and instead, just remove the chain once the edge is knocked off it and install a new chain. The time it takes to swap a chain is quickly made up with the improved cutting performance.
    bmichael and Yank like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #24
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    My MS 362 R C-M doesn't have one and I bought it last fall. Maybe the home or farm ones have a bulb.
    I'm solely talking about the MS250, which is the largest of the "homeowner" saws, according to Stihls site. I've seen them with and without the primer bulb. It's helpful on starting when you run the saw out of fuel, or if it's sat for a long time.
    Only Easy Start saws have a primer bulb.
    rydplrs likes this.
    2001 4300 SyncReverser 430 Loader/48 Backhoe
    Walker MC20 Zero Turn

7. Top | #25

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra7350 View Post
    I was looking at the Echo CS-400. But I don't want to be underpowered with a smaller engine. Also trying to compare the Stihl MS 250 and MS 251 wood boss.
    The main use would be cutting fallen trees and trying to downsize my brush pile. Want no less than a 18 inch bar and not too heavy. I have been using a battery powered DeWalt 40v chainsaw with a 16" bar. It is underpowered for bigger cutting jobs.
    Stihl is better. I own the ms 250 and it is great. It has becom e my go to saw and i have several others becauae of the ease in starting and its raw power in a smaller saw

8. Top | #26

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    I find myself in the opposite position.
    Would like to sell my husky and get a cordless.
    Bought it to fell a big willow in the yard. Now minor trimming rarely sees over 3" limbs.

Here's what's left of the willow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0302.jpg  
    Tomfive, rydplrs and Kbar like this.

9. Top | #27
    SRG
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie919 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Only Easy Start saws have a primer bulb.
    Again I'm solely talking about the MS250. Mine is an easy start model (ms250c) it does not have a primer bulb. New MS250's might, mine don't.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [Woods HBL72-2 rear blade, 72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

10. Top | #28

Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:09 PM
    Thanks
    Do yourself and buy a pro model. They're lighter weight, they pull the chain quicker, and they're rebuildable due to the stronger materials that were used during construction. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a pro model, I just didn't know better at the time and shame on me. I was 16 when I bought my first one and my Dad wasn't there to give me guidance on the purchase. My 13yo Stihl MS270 really owes me nothing and while a brand new MS26 CM would likely suffice for 80% of my current and future cutting. I'm opting for a new MS462 CM that my dealer has set aside for me.
    Tomfive likes this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

11. Top | #29
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    Do yourself and buy a pro model. They're lighter weight, they pull the chain quicker, and they're rebuildable due to the stronger materials that were used during construction. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a pro model, I just didn't know better at the time and shame on me. I was 16 when I bought my first one and my Dad wasn't there to give me guidance on the purchase. My 13yo Stihl MS270 really owes me nothing and while a brand new MS26 CM would likely suffice for 80% of my current and future cutting. I'm opting for a new MS462 CM that my dealer has set aside for me.
    That is why I did what I did. Also it is a somewhat regional thing but I got the R version of the MS362 C-M which is the wrap handle. It isn't available everywhere but a nice step up for not much more than a non "R". I was really looking at the MS 271 Farm Boss but opted to spend a little more to get the bigger Pro saw with. You do get a few things by going up to the Pro. Lighter weight when looking at the weight per HP. Magnesium construction, can be overhauled in the field but I would still go to the shop. However that means it is easier to work on in the shop. Better vibration dampening. Better pre-separation which directs cleaner air into the engine. Better air cleaner. They are 100% duty cycle saws so you can run them all day long. I will admit that it gets heavy doing that though. Probably wouldn't be an issue if I did it every day. It was better balanced with a 20" bar but can run a 25". This is a little thing that should be on all the saws but the Pro saws have a black sighting line on both sides of the case. When making your initial cut, this sight line is dead on to aim the tree. When I first ran it I cut to where I thought I would go then looked at the sighting line. It said it was off from where I wanted it. I cut a little more to aim to the sighting line and the tree fell within 6" of where I was aiming between a tree and a fence. They should have that on all the saws. Or one would think the non Pros would use it more.

All that said. It is easy to spend someone else's money. There is nothing wrong with a home series. Some people are fine with a 16" bar with the thought of if it is bigger than that, they will hire it out because it gets more dangerous the bigger the tree. If that is the case it doesn't make any sense to go with a big pro saw. If it isn't going to see enough use to justify a cost and will never cut enough wood to ever need a rebuild. Again no need for a Pro saw. I was right at the tipping point where I wanted a bigger all around saw and thought it would be better to have a saw with a 20" bar that could run a 25" than a saw with a 20" that was maxed out. That meant stepping up to a 60cc class which put me in a position that Pro made sense.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

12. Top | #30
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    I bought the Farm Boss MS271 and like it.
    I don't cut a lot of wood, in fact it was purchased to cut down some trees as we were cleaning up the farm yard.
    We were using a Poulan electric chainsaw with 18" bar. You may laugh, but it took down a tree with a 40"+ diameter!
    It was while cutting up that tree that a plastic gear gave out. Bought the gas the next day (though I did fix the electric one too).

It cuts nice, not too heavy for my use, and seems to start well.

In continual clean up mode, I'll probably cut 4-6 cord of wood a year.
    glc, rydplrs, Old Cajun and 1 others like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast