Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Rant - - Rust-Oleum aerosol paint cans losing pressure prematurely

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts

Rant - - Rust-Oleum aerosol paint cans losing pressure prematurely

Hopefully paint falls into the tools and equipment category.

Does anyone else have a problem with recent Rust-Oleum aerosol paint cans losing their propellant and going dead prematurely? Today I grabbed a can of primer that was 3/4 full. It gave one little sputter and then nada... no more pressure. I seem to have a lot of cans lately that are 1/2 to 3/4 full that when I go to use them they are no longer pressurized with propellant. Granted, some of these cans are a couple years old but should they be leaking down so quickly? They are stored in the basement at a constant 70-ish degrees.

It seems to be primarily the newer
    Rust-Oleum spray cans. I have older Rust-Oleum and other brand cans of paint that are 10 years old and they still spray just fine.

Maybe it's time to switch to Krylon. :-)

rtgt, Old Cajun and JD4044M like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks
    I have never had a paint can loose pressure,, but, I have had a LOT of paint cans clog the nozzle and act like there is no pressure,,

You mentioned sputtering,, that is exactly how my clogged nozzle cans act,, a little sputtering, then the flow completely quits.

If it is pressure,, there is a guy on YouTube that shows how to re-pressurize a can,,
    I think he used a tubeless tire valve stem, and compressed air is put into the can
    That would be good for something like penetrating oil,,
    but, I think paint would need an inert gas or propane so the paint was not cured in the can,,,

Oh, yea, the reason I know that my sputtering cans were clogged,, is that frequently, the cans are used as targets,,
    when hit, if there is a piece of cardboard behind the can,, pretty images are created!!

Gizmo2, jgayman, rtgt and 7 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:37 AM
    Thanks
    J, Usually the problem occurs with old cans. It's not really a case of losing pressure, but mostly the paint separating inside the can and the pigments/solvents/etc become clogged in the tube inside of the can. Sometimes they spray, or sputter, for a few seconds and you can put another nozzle on. I've got a drawer full of old nozzle that I've cleaned with parts cleaner and keep as "spares." If changing the nozzle doesn't help, you're pretty much screwed...so just throw the can away.

Also, when you buy a can in the store, SHAKE IT, right then and there. If it takes more than 2 or 3 minutes to get the ball to rattle, find another store! The same "stuff" that's holding the ball in place on/in the bottom of the can is also just a hard/firm in the bottom of the tube inside of the can and usually won't spray. Bob
    bhill, jgayman, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,313 Posts
    Have you held the can upside down and sprayed?

I learned this just last winter. It takes me years to use up a can of spray paint. I learned that each time you are done spraying to hold it upside down and give it a quick spray which cleans the nozzle out.

I had never done that before.

I had a can that was acting just like you explain. This can was at least 3 years old and spent 2 winters in the barn (unheated). I got a couple sputters out of it and that was it. So I held the can upside down and got it to spray some clear. Then I could paint for 10 seconds or so. Rinse and repeat and I got done what I needed.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Have you held the can upside down and sprayed?

I learned this just last winter. It takes me years to use up a can of spray paint. I learned that each time you are done spraying to hold it upside down and give it a quick spray which cleans the nozzle out.

I had never done that before.

I had a can that was acting just like you explain. This can was at least 3 years old and spent 2 winters in the barn (unheated). I got a couple sputters out of it and that was it. So I held the can upside down and got it to spray some clear. Then I could paint for 10 seconds or so. Rinse and repeat and I got done what I needed.
    Yes, I always do that as well but... what I have found in the past year or so is that this procedure works great with cans that have the old style male nozzle. You hold them upside down and spray for a few seconds until the paint stops and the mist becomes clear.

But... paint cans that have the newer style large female nozzle will not clear. I can hold them upside down and spray for 15-seconds and paint just keeps coming out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nozzle1.jpg   nozzle2.jpg  
    rtgt, coaltrain, Old Cajun and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Haven't had trouble "yet" with Rust-Oleum not spraying or loosing pressure, the trouble is trying to find Rust-Oleum
    since Lowes quit handling it for the crappy Krylon.

Have to run 25 miles now to Tractor Supply to find Rust-Oleum .
    rtgt, rydplrs, Herminator and 3 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Haven't had trouble "yet" with Rust-Oleum not spraying or loosing pressure, the trouble is trying to find Rust-Oleum
    since Lowes quit handling it for the crappy Krylon.

Have to run 25 miles now to Tractor Supply to find Rust-Oleum .
    That's weird, my local Lowe's still carries Rust-Oleum. I just bought some a month ago. I wonder if it's a regional thing.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I appreciate everyone's input. I'm going to give the nozzle a second inspection. Hopefully that is the problem.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That's weird, my local Lowe's still carries Rust-Oleum. I just bought some a month ago. I wonder if it's a regional thing.
    Local store had a great selection of Rust-Oleum rattle can (especially farm implement colors), all the primers to boot.
    They also had a decent amount of Valspar rattle can paints, my second choice.

Now the whole rattle can section is Krylon (which in my experience is crap), plus no implement colors anymore.

Don't know what happened?
    jgayman, rtgt, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input. I'm going to give the nozzle a second inspection. Hopefully that is the problem.
    Maybe if you could figure out a way to run a wire or something through the nozzle.

If nothing else you could then eliminate a clogging issue if it still persist.
    rtgt, Old Cajun and Herminator like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast