Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Small Stihl chainsaw

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks

Small Stihl chainsaw

I currently have a MS290 with 20 inch bar and am now looking to also get a smaller saw for light work. Does anyone have any recommendations on the MS170, 171, 180, 181, 211? I don't know much about these new "features" such as low emission, easy start, pre separation air filtration, etc etc. I'm not afraid of these new features, just don't know if they are gimmicks or actually worthwhile. Just looking for a reliable, lightweight, 16 inch bar Stihl saw. Thanks.
    Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.
    1025R TLB
    42" Artillian pallet forks
    6 ft Steel Express snow pusher
    2048L Box blade
    OTC cab
    54" JD snow blower
    RB2072 Rear blade
    Pat's Easy Change 3 pt hooks
    Agri-ease rear quick hitch
    Woodland Mills WC46 wood chipper

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,311 Posts
    I can tell you that the easy start is no gimmick. If not for that I would not be able to start any chainsaw.

I have a 180 now with 16Ē bar and is a great trim saw - about all the saw I can handle now. I previously had a 170 and could just not pull it to start it. The 180 feels very balanced to me and nice and light. Perfect trim saw in my opinion.

Living in the middle of the woods having a saw is paramount. I can do 90% of what I need with it. All I do anymore is clean up downed trees from storms and/or old age.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	78FB8917-686E-43D5-9AE8-15AB37B55D4C.jpeg†
Views:	18†
Size:	3.80 MB†
ID:	698252

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	6284CA45-E184-4CA9-A49D-D7A35F37D343.jpeg†
Views:	40†
Size:	3.81 MB†
ID:	698254
    glc, Gizmo2, xcopterdoc and 9 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjfyr View Post
    I currently have a MS290 with 20 inch bar and am now looking to also get a smaller saw for light work. Does anyone have any recommendations on the MS170, 171, 180, 181, 211? I don't know much about these new "features" such as low emission, easy start, pre separation air filtration, etc etc. I'm not afraid of these new features, just don't know if they are gimmicks or actually worthwhile. Just looking for a reliable, lightweight, 16 inch bar Stihl saw. Thanks.
    I never buy at the bottom of a product line. The MS180 is only $20 more that the MS170 and has better power.

After Hurricane Michael, I worked my MS180 much harder than I should have. It performed admirably for a limbing saw, cutting a lot of rather large oak and pine trees. The anti-kickback chain (PMM3) is all that held it back. The narrow kerf caused some binding and heat buildup. (Hard to blame the saw for that.) Since you already have a larger saw, I don't see any reason to sacrifice cost & weight for more power or advanced features.
    rtgt, OxPath, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 868 Posts
    I have two MS170's.

One is just recently acquired from a friend. It was barely used.

The other is 5 years old. When it dies is owes me nothing.

Like you I also have a MS290 that does the bigger work.

The 170's do a lot more of the small and dirty work. They go on sale quite often for about $159 ($20 off DSRP).
    OxPath, Old Cajun and PJR832 like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    I recommend the MS-170 with easy-start. The dealer I'm most familiar with doubles the length of the factory warranty if a six-pack carton of pre-mix oil is purchased along with the saw. I further recommend running mid-grade or higher grade gasoline in the pre-mix; It burns more efficiently than regular grade gas. Ethanol content plays a huge role also.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ssjfyr View Post
    rtgt, OxPath, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Thanks
    I just bought an ms250 and its tough to start. They make another easy start model that i should have purchased. The 170 is a great little saw and no problem starting
    rtgt, OxPath, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Thanks
    I have an MS390 and a Homelite 240 that wonít quit. Every time I think about getting a small Stihl I canít do it. The trusty ole Homelite (got for 100 bucks at a garage sale) just keeps running strong. I do like new toys, so Iíll be following this thread
    rtgt, OxPath, Old Cajun and 1 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeCoGreenTractorMan View Post
    I recommend the MS-170 with easy-start. The dealer I'm most familiar with doubles the length of the factory warranty if a six-pack carton of pre-mix oil is purchased along with the saw. I further recommend running mid-grade or higher grade gasoline in the pre-mix; It burns more efficiently than regular grade gas. Ethanol content plays a huge role also.

Brian
    They will also double the warranty if you buy a case of their canned fuel. Thatís all I use now so it worked out great.
    glc, rtgt, jdforever and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,310 Posts
    I just bought a MS-170 when they were on sale at my dealer, $159 and doubled the warranty for picking up a six pack oil. So far it has worked flawlessly though I am going to replace the 16" .38 bar/chain with a 14" .50, if I said that right, I'm not a chainsaw guy but was told by several people that it will bring this little saw to a new level.
    chex313, rtgt and Old Cajun like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    I have an MS390 and a Homelite 240 that wonít quit. Every time I think about getting a small Stihl I canít do it. The trusty ole Homelite (got for 100 bucks at a garage sale) just keeps running strong. I do like new toys, so Iíll be following this thread
    Haha, I know what you mean about Homelite's. I actually had bad luck with their saws, at work we would always choose the Husky's over the Homelites, but many years ago I was given an old 2nd or 3rd hand Homelite lawnmower. I was going to use it "temporarily" until it died, then get a new one.

Well, that was 20, yes, 20 years ago, and the thing is still going strong! I felt bad after about 7 or 8 years of owning it and actually changed the oil (what little there was left, lol). Since then every few years I would change the oil, now, I pretty much change the oil and clean the air filter every year. It is all "Frankensteind" together to keep the wheels on, and handle working and it even is missing the shut off cable and I have to do that manually, but it is a great lawnmower.

It starts on the first or second pull every time. There was a time many years ago that at the start of the year it wouldn't start, and I was just about to say "ok, well, it's done", then on the next pull it started. Now, after doing some maintenance, it starts on about the 4th or 5th pull at the start of the season. It is a 3 hp B&S motor.
    1025R TLB
    42" Artillian pallet forks
    6 ft Steel Express snow pusher
    2048L Box blade
    OTC cab
    54" JD snow blower
    RB2072 Rear blade
    Pat's Easy Change 3 pt hooks
    Agri-ease rear quick hitch
    Woodland Mills WC46 wood chipper

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com