Difference between ferrous and non-ferrous circular metal cutting blades? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Difference between ferrous and non-ferrous circular metal cutting blades?

1. Top | #21
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I always thought it was just cheap stainless that was magnetic? If a magnet stick to SS chances are it will rust.
    A higher nickel content generally makes the material less magnetic and improves surface protection. As I remember, magnetic varieties are not lower quality, they just have different applications. I'll leave the details to folks who work with steel on a daily basis. Here are a couple of general references.

Magnetic Properties of 304 316 Stainless Steel

Is stainless steel magnetic? Does it depend on the amount of chromium, or nickel alloy?
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #22

Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks
    If I were to use one of these blades, I would lump stainless steel in with ferrous,,, for all grades.

I would only consider non-ferrous to be aluminum, copper, brass, zinc,, lead,, etc,,

AND,, I think if you try any one of these blades on ANY stainless,, the cutting action will come to a QUICK halt!!

In other words,, the manufacturer is not expecting these blades to be used on stainless steel.

This is what happens when someone tries to drill holes in stainless steel.
    They pull out their favorite drill set that has drilled all sorts of steel,,

Within a few holes, the whole set of faithful drill bits has been ruined by the stainless steel.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #23
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    If I were to use one of these blades, I would lump stainless steel in with ferrous,,, for all grades.

I would only consider non-ferrous to be aluminum, copper, brass, zinc,, lead,, etc,,

AND,, I think if you try any one of these blades on ANY stainless,, the cutting action will come to a QUICK halt!!

In other words,, the manufacturer is not expecting these blades to be used on stainless steel.
    Makita and other manufacturers make blades specifically suited for stainless steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS_1.jpg   SS_2.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #24
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks
    Ferrous cutting blades typically have a negative rake. Aluminum can be cut with any number of teeth depending on thickness. Typical blade lube for aluminum is akin to bees wax and can be applied frequently depending on thickness and speed of feed. I have cut and fabricated a fair amount of aluminum and have used circular saws, table saws and have an old dewalt chop box set up for nothing but with a 60 tooth blade. Always loud and the chips are hot, all have been wood blades. I bought a Kalamazoo horizontal band saw this summer and we cut aluminum with about 6tpi at top speed which is not very fast.
    Last edited by Manomet; 08-22-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3