Every now and then I have to re-work my steel landscape edging at the joints. Expansive soils, frost heave, and roots all work on the steel pieces over time and then suddenly I have one corner sticking up an inch higher than the adjacent piece. This creates a hazard for mower blades and the person using the mower.
My solution is to bolt the 2 pieces together using galvanized fence bolts. I've found that you have to use 2 bolts. If you only use one, the 2 pieces will pivot on the bolt and you'll have the same problem.
Besides all the work required to clear the area around the joint, I've found this steel edging to be a real booger to drill holes in. This time I tried 4 different bits that all appeared to be sharp and felt sharp. Most of them wouldn't even put a mark on the edging. I finally dug one out of a 40 year old set that I have that seemed to drill holes pretty quickly. But I don't know what was different about that bit other than the set it came from was pre-China.
I know some of you are experts in this sort of thing. I'd be grateful if you could recommend some bits I can buy for jobs like this one.
By the way, the root cause of the problem this time was actually a couple of roots that had grown up against the bottom of the edging. I had to cut out the roots to get the steel edging to return to the proper level.