Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Root Cause -- Need better drill bits

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Thanks

Root Cause -- Need better drill bits

Every now and then I have to re-work my steel landscape edging at the joints. Expansive soils, frost heave, and roots all work on the steel pieces over time and then suddenly I have one corner sticking up an inch higher than the adjacent piece. This creates a hazard for mower blades and the person using the mower.

My solution is to bolt the 2 pieces together using galvanized fence bolts. I've found that you have to use 2 bolts. If you only use one, the 2 pieces will pivot on the bolt and you'll have the same problem.

Besides all the work required to clear the area around the joint, I've found this steel edging to be a real booger to drill holes in. This time I tried 4 different bits that all appeared to be sharp and felt sharp. Most of them wouldn't even put a mark on the edging. I finally dug one out of a 40 year old set that I have that seemed to drill holes pretty quickly. But I don't know what was different about that bit other than the set it came from was pre-China.

I know some of you are experts in this sort of thing. I'd be grateful if you could recommend some bits I can buy for jobs like this one.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_2729.JPG†
Views:	18†
Size:	3.99 MB†
ID:	703860

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG†
Views:	19†
Size:	4.25 MB†
ID:	703862

Name:	IMG_2731.JPG†
Views:	18†
Size:	3.54 MB†
ID:	703864

By the way, the root cause of the problem this time was actually a couple of roots that had grown up against the bottom of the edging. I had to cut out the roots to get the steel edging to return to the proper level.

Keane
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    You want these Milwaukee cobalt drill bits that say hard metal on them. They are expensive, but worth it. I ordered a set recently because I could not drill into galvanized steel. However, I can use my hammer drill/driver and drive a metal screw into the galvanized steel if I use the hammer function. It goes right in.

Dave

Milwaukee 48-89-2332 29 Pc RED HELIX Cobalt Drill Bit Set

Name:	milwauke bits.jpg†
Views:	229†
Size:	88.3 KB†
ID:	703866
    arlen, rtgt, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

keane†(09-07-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    You want these Milwaukee cobalt drill bits that say hard metal on them. They are expensive, but worth it. I ordered a set recently because I could not drill into galvanized steel. However, I can use my hammer drill/driver and drive a metal screw into the galvanized steel if I use the hammer function. It goes right in.

Dave

Milwaukee 48-89-2332 29 Pc RED HELIX Cobalt Drill Bit Set

That looks like a nice set. Don't you just hate though when they include a 1/2" bit but there is no place in the case to store it. :-(
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:03 AM
    Thanks
    Don't use Horrible Fright Chinese Alumisteel drill bits.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Just a note, DeWalt drill bits have been my go to drill bits for a long time, beats anything available locally.

Recently had 2 new 1/4" drill bits snap on me in drill press about 3/8" from point.
    Thank goodness I had a 1/8" pilot hole drilled and was able to use a punch to drive the broken tips out.

The break looked very brittle, like a poor temper job on the bits.

Was a 5/8 shaft I was drilling, not particularly hard steel, drill press turning at proper speed, using oil, shaft
    locked in drill press vice.

Very odd occurrence for DeWalt bits, also bit drill pack said, "Made in China".
    mjncad, rtgt, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Cajun For This Useful Post:

keane†(09-07-2019)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:23 PM
    Thanks
    I drill 30,000-35,000 holes a year, building stabilizers (through cold rolled, hot, and pickled). I'm no expert, but I've gained some insight.
    I've used high quality bits, and low. I've got a decent sharpener (not a drill doctor!), and I maintain my bits on a daily basis. I typically use DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Ace Hardware
    bits. They are all made in China.
    The angle, and the split point, makes the difference. I suspect that while your bits look or feel sharp, they aren't at the split point, or the outer edges. Buying new bits will help initially, but they won't maintain that edge. Anybody in your area sharpen bits? That would be a better solution. If they know what they are doing, they can get them sharper than a new one.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, PaDave and 4 others like this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hodge For This Useful Post:

keane†(09-07-2019)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hodge View Post
    I drill 30,000-35,000 holes a year, building stabilizers (through cold rolled, hot, and pickled). I'm no expert, but I've gained some insight.
    I've used high quality bits, and low. I've got a decent sharpener (not a drill doctor!), and I maintain my bits on a daily basis. I typically use DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Ace Hardware
    bits. They are all made in China.
    The angle, and the split point, makes the difference. I suspect that while your bits look or feel sharp, they aren't at the split point, or the outer edges. Buying new bits will help initially, but they won't maintain that edge. Anybody in your area sharpen bits? That would be a better solution. If they know what they are doing, they can get them sharper than a new one.
    Regarding the value of a properly sharpened bit - I couldn't agree more. There's a machinest nearby who runs a sharpening business on the side. I took a bunch of bits to him - he sharpened them for $1 per bit. They are better than when they were new. And, sharp bits seem less likely to grab/bind, hold an edge longer and take less power to drill with them.

My high school shop teacher used to say "A dull tool is more dangerous than a sharp tool."

What sharpener do you own and use.
    mjncad, rtgt, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks

Drill bit sharpening options?

Occasionally I come across a thread on this forum that hits on a problem I have, that I don't even know I have until I read the thread. Knowing what type of bit works best in steel and how to keep bits sharp is a problem for me as well. For those of you that do sharpen drill bits, any particular sharpener you would recommend. Do the Drill Doctor sharpeners work well? I'm not sure if I know of a place locally that sharpens bits but admittedly I've never asked around. Hopefully I'm not taking this thread off course.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, keane and 2 others like this.
    2025R Gen 2
    60D MMM and 120R FEL
    Z535R
    Frontier RT1149 Tiller
    Frontier CA2048E Aerator
    Frontier BB2048L Box Blade
    Artillian Diverter
    EA Wicked 55" Grapple
    Heavy Hitch Front/Rear weight bracket
    Incredibly supportive wife (items not listed in priority order)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenmc001 For This Useful Post:

keane†(09-07-2019)

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hodge View Post
    I've got a decent sharpener (not a drill doctor!), and I maintain my bits on a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
    What sharpener do you own and use.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Thanks
    You really donít need anything special to sharpen drill bits. A bench grinder or a belt sander is all thatís needed.I have even managed to sharpen bits with an angle grinder.

Some types of steel are very difficult to drill. Slowing the bit speed down and using lots of cutting fluid to keep the bit from heating up may help.
    rtgt, keane, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ejb69 For This Useful Post:

keane†(09-07-2019)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast