• 2 Post By martincom
  • 2 Post By cheesetrain

Thread: Need assistance Craftsman table saw

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks

Need assistance Craftsman table saw

I need some assistance from those that know more about table saws than me. I have the opportunity to buy a Craftsman table saw, model 315228390. Itís used, being sold by a lady who lost her husband last year. Her daughter is a co worker of my wifeís. As much as I could use a bigger, heavier saw, I donít think the $350 she wants for it is worth it.

I checked the saw out and the table is level. Blade and fence are square to the table top. Blade is square to fence. Itís missing the blade guard. Motor housing is a bit beat up. Handle to angle the blade is missing.

There are no replacement parts available for the saw from what I can find. I canít seem to find when this saw was made even though I downloaded the manual. Does anyone have any information on this model saw? Age? Decent saw? Reliable?

Even if it is a decent deal I should probably turn it down with the uncertainty surrounding my job right now.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 and jdforever like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesetrain View Post
    I need some assistance from those that know more about table saws than me. I have the opportunity to buy a Craftsman table saw, model 315228390. Itís used, being sold by a lady who lost her husband last year. Her daughter is a co worker of my wifeís. As much as I could use a bigger, heavier saw, I donít think the $350 she wants for it is worth it.

I checked the saw out and the table is level. Blade and fence are square to the table top. Blade is square to fence. Itís missing the blade guard. Motor housing is a bit beat up. Handle to angle the blade is missing.

There are no replacement parts available for the saw from what I can find. I canít seem to find when this saw was made even though I downloaded the manual. Does anyone have any information on this model saw? Age? Decent saw? Reliable?

Even if it is a decent deal I should probably turn it down with the uncertainty surrounding my job right now.

Thoughts?

This appears to be a 10 inch contractor version and you can buy a new one like it from them today for the same price.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,641 Posts
    From what I can find, the saw is close to the one I've owned for guessing 40 yrs. That one may be a few yrs newer than that but would guess it is at least 30-35 yrs old. I use mine at least a few times every months, some times more . I think we paid close to $500 for mine at the time of purchase.

The two side metal extenders ,, thick one inch or 1 1/4 " were not included in the price , they of just the table saw. They made two different contractors saws. One belt driven ( like the one I have) and one shaft drive blade. I knew the older gentlemen Sears salesperson that advised my wife and I to buy the belt drive. He told us if you do this will be the only table saw you will ever buy or need to buy.

The motor is still going strong, have had to many blades sharpened for this saw.

I admit $350 sounds high offer $250 IMO worth the money.

Sears.com IMO I would buy the used one if belt drive and the heavy cast table top extenders before buying this saw... IMO this one is a throw away table saw in 10 years. Not near the quality of the older table saws.
    jdforever, JD4044M and Toughsox like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. The ladies son is a master carpenter and said she should ask $300 for it. She was hoping he would take them but Iím guessing Craftsman isnít on the radar of a master carpenter.

I poked around Craigslist and Iím finding similar models for $100, even less in some cases.

Think I will call her tomorrow and say thanks but no thanks. With my job situation I just donít need it.

Thanks

glc, etcallhome and JD4044M like this.
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    Imatch Quick Hitch

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheesetrain For This Useful Post:

etcallhome†(09-12-2019), JD4044M†(09-12-2019)

8. Top | #5
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    The very most I would pay would be 250!
    etcallhome likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 AM
    Thanks
    I didn't look to see how heavy it is or its portability. My brother purchased a beautiful Delta Unisaw about 30 years ago. 2hp motor, outfeed and side feed extension tables, as well. It was really nice for ripping veneered sheet goods for cabinets. The problem was it was a beast to move, took a fair amount of time to set up the add-on tables, and takes up a lot of space. He rarely ever utilized it for those reasons.

I purchased a DeWalt 10" table saw about 20 years ago. It has the yellow DeWalt plastic housing and a gear driven fence system. I also bought the pull-out side and out feed extensions, so I can even rip 4 x 8 x 1/2" sheet of plywood by myself. I also purchased the fold-up stand for it. It is light enough that I can readily move. transport and setup by myself quickly. These are all very important features, in my opinion, and the latter especially.

I don't know what is on the market now, but I wouldn't consider anything less if I was in the market for a tablesaw for general use or the building trades.
    glc and etcallhome like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    I didn't look to see how heavy it is or its portability. My brother purchased a beautiful Delta Unisaw about 30 years ago. 2hp motor, outfeed and side feed extension tables, as well. It was really nice for ripping veneered sheet goods for cabinets. The problem was it was a beast to move, took a fair amount of time to set up the add-on tables, and takes up a lot of space. He rarely ever utilized it for those reasons.

I purchased a DeWalt 10" table saw about 20 years ago. It has the yellow DeWalt plastic housing and a gear driven fence system. I also bought the pull-out side and out feed extensions, so I can even rip 4 x 8 x 1/2" sheet of plywood by myself. I also purchased the fold-up stand for it. It is light enough that I can readily move. transport and setup by myself quickly. These are all very important features, in my opinion, and the latter especially.

I don't know what is on the market now, but I wouldn't consider anything less if I was in the market for a tablesaw for general use or the building trades.
    Thanks. I have a Ridgid 10" table saw that I bought about 12 years ago. Came on the quick setup cart. Has been a reliable machine that I have run hundreds of board feet through. I was looking at buying the used Craftsman due to it's weight and ability to rip sheet goods in half easier and safer than on my Ridgid. I don't know the weight it's considerably more than my Rigid since it has a cast iron top. I'd have to purchase a cart to make it mobile as well.

I looked around on Ebay and Craigslist last night and 350 is far too high. Found a 2013 model year craftsman saw, on a cart, with all side extensions and 52" fence for 350.

Made the decision last night to not buy the saw. Just can't in good conscience make the purchase with job uncertanity right now. I still have to call the woman today to tell her that I won't be buying the saw.
    Last edited by cheesetrain; 09-12-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    glc and BigJim55 like this.
    Imatch Quick Hitch

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements