Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Grease Gun

1. Top | #21
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    You can by putting it in one of their empty containers they sell.
    Right... to eliminate the mess of a standard grease gun I'm going to hand-fill empty Lube Shuttle tubes from a bulk container. I wonder who sells rubber gloves by the 1000-pack.

Seriously, I've never found changing grease cartridges to be as much of a mess as actually USING the grease gun. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shuttle.jpg  
    stg454, johncanfield and Kbar like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #22
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    The M18 is a nice grease gun. I have one as well. But it leaks out the back of the barrel just like the manual guns. Which, makes sense since the barrel is constructed identical to a manual gun. Also, my M18 always oozes a bit of grease out a hole down in front (see photo below). This must be some kind of pressure relief valve hole as it doesn't exist on manual guns. There is always a little blob of grease sticking out this hole and it drips down onto the shelf where the gun sits. Don't get me wrong, I love how it works but it's just as messy as the rest. The only advantage is it has that big handle so you don't have to hold it by the barrel.
    That hole is the bleed off hole if you press the little black knob in the front.

Supposedly it helps prime the pump if it won't prime, never had to use it so far.

Since you're getting leakage from the cartridge, are you using JD polyuria based grease?

I've never had that trouble with the Lithium base.

Also I pickup the gun laying on its' side to be able to fit in a moisture proof plastic container.
    johncanfield likes this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

4. Top | #23
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    That hole is the bleed off hole if you press the little black knob in the front.

Supposedly it helps prime the pump if it won't prime, never had to use it so far.

Since you're getting leakage from the cartridge, are you using JD polyuria based grease?
    Yes, SD Polyurea is what I use. I notice the leakage mostly during the summer months when it gets very hot in the storage building.

Interesting... might have to try a tube of that.

Also I pickup the gun laying on its' side to be able to fit in a moisture proof plastic container.
    I just have mine sitting upright on a shelf.
    Old Cajun and johncanfield like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #24
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:40 AM
    Thanks

For my part, I never use polyurea. Or moly for that matter. I'm strictly a lithium complex kind of guy and I never get weeping on any of my grease guns. As for that M18 grease gun...it's awesome. The new crop of Milwaukee M18 batteries last am amazing long time. So much so that I've gone to the CP 3.0's because they're so much lighter.
    Old Cajun, johncanfield and Kbar like this.

7. Top | #25
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes, SD Polyurea is what I use. I notice the leakage mostly during the summer months when it gets very hot in the storage building.

Interesting... might have to try a tube of that.

I just have mine sitting upright on a shelf.
    Watch out if you swap to a Lithium base, everything I've read about grease, it's not good to be swapping from a Polyuria base to
    a Lithium base or vice versa continually.

Try to keep with one type and stick with it.
    johncanfield likes this.
    Neil

Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper

8. Top | #26
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    For my part, I never use polyurea. Or moly for that matter. I'm strictly a lithium complex kind of guy and I never get weeping on any of my grease guns. As for that M18 grease gun...it's awesome. The new crop of Milwaukee M18 batteries last am amazing long time. So much so that I've gone to the CP 3.0's because they're so much lighter.
    Before I got the Deere equipment I was using NAPA Lithium base grease and never had a problem with it.

Been using the 5 Ah battery on my M18, can grease the 4066r, backhoe and loader and it doesn't come off the 4 LED
    full charge indicator.
    johncanfield likes this.
    Neil

9. Top | #27
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Watch out if you swap to a Lithium base, everything I've read about grease, it's not good to be swapping from a Polyuria base to
    a Lithium base or vice versa continually.

Try to keep with one type and stick with it.
    That's a good point. JD lists the following characteristic for the SD Polyurea but does NOT list it as a characteristic of the Lithium Complex grease.

– Compatible with most other typesof grease.

10. Top | #28
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:40 AM
    Thanks
    That's a good point. JD lists the following characteristic for the SD Polyurea but does NOT list it as a characteristic of the Lithium Complex grease.

– Compatible with most other typesof grease.
    Not a problem for me since lithium complex is the only grease I use for anything/everything.

11. Top | #29
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    any grease is better than none.

I fight this issue when greasin the excavater vs tractor......tie rods vs ex stress points.

grease often and it all works out.

grease never and pay the price.

Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

12. Top | #30
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Thanks
    I went through this recently myself.
    From a TON of searching, I came to the conclusion that either Lincoln or Alemite were the top of the heap.
    Then I found out that the Deere professional grease gun is made by Alemite, but cheaper than buying an Alemite grease gun.
    I now own two of them. One for the JD Polyurea and one for the JD HD Moly.
    Deere part number TY26689
    If you are staying away from battery guns, as I am, even though I LOVE Milwaukees 18V stuff, the Deere is the way to go.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3